Re: Filtering Software

  • Donald Wessel
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
      Thanks to all of you for your help with my filtering question.  We checked www.gambling.com yesterday.  It was blocked.  We also googled Butts.  It is no longer blocked.  I am told that the software is now more sophisticated and will allow searches for places such as Essex, the community in which our Family History Center is locatedDon

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
        Donald Wessel wrote:

        > will allow searches for places such as Essex, the community
        in which our Family History Center is located

        (GBG) I am irresistably reminded of the early days of the
        Web and of net-nannies...

        One of the computer-genealogists around set up a web-page on
        the family genealogy; she modelled the page after a
        family-group sheet, which has information on name, and etc.
        Her teenaged son was taking a HS computer class, and so
        she acquired a net-nanny for his protection. Imagine her
        surprise when she was locked out of her own web pages
        because of that dread word "sex"! So, she changed "sex" in
        her filters to "xxx" and was locked out of a catalog site
        offering sports clothing in larger sizes. THEN she changed
        xxx to the three-letter version of a common verb -- and her
        lawyer husband was locked out of sites which uses that
        three-letter, legal, word properly, as the Romans did when
        speaking Latin.

        About that time, she discovered that the son knew how to
        dis-engage the net-nanny.

        Ahhhh, those /were/ the daze ...