Re: Stillborn children

  • hellehirschmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2009
      I am sorry - I just got to think about not everyone can see New Family Search.

      Here is the article:

      New FamilySearch
      What Ordinances Are Needed for Stillborn Babies and Children Who Die Young?
      Problem

      * What ordinances are needed for stillborn children?
      * What ordinances are needed for children who die before age 8 (the age of accountability)?
      * What ordinances are needed for deceased children who were born in the covenant?
      * Is a child born in the covenant when the father isn't the man to whom the mother was sealed?

      Resolution
      Some ordinances are not needed for children who died before age 8, who were born in the covenant, or who were stillborn.

      * Children who died before age eight need only a sealing to parents (if they were not born in the covenant). No baptism or endowment is needed.
      * Children born in the covenant are sealed and do not need to be sealed to parents again. A child is born in the covenant if he or she is born after his or her mother has been sealed to a husband in a temple, regardless of who his or her father is or whether the sealing is cancelled later.
      * Stillborn children (children who die before birth) do not need temple ordinances.
      Important: In some countries, children who died shortly after birth were listed in vital records as stillborn. Countries that have sometimes listed live births as stillborn include Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, German states (Baden, Bavaria, Germany, Hesse-Darmstadt, Prussia, Saxony, Thuringia, Württemberg), Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland. Children listed as stillborn on records from these countries may be sealed to their parents

      The new FamilySearch uses information in a person's record to determine whether ordinances are needed. Use these guidelines to help the new FamilySearch accurately make this determination:
      Situation What You Should Do What the New FamilySearch Does
      A child died before age 8. Enter the child's birth and death information in the appropriate fields. The new FamilySearch calculates the amount of time between the birth and death. It then indicates the ordinances are not needed.

      If you later find out that the child died after age 8, correct the birth or death date. The new FamilySearch then allows the ordinances to be done.
      A child was born in the covenant. Do nothing. The new FamilySearch uses Church membership records to determine whether a child was born in the covenant.
      An infant was stillborn. Choose the Stillborn option in the birth date field and death date field. The new FamilySearch evaluates the place information. If the child was born in a country where a child recorded as stillborn may have actually died shortly after birth, the new FamilySearch allows the sealing-to-parent ordinance in case the child was born alive.

      If the child was not born in one of these countries, the new FamilySearch lists the ordinances as "Not needed."
      In Temple Districts That Do Not Yet Have the New FamilySearch
      You will need to enter information into your records that will tell TempleReady that the ordinances are not needed.
      Situation What You Should Do What TempleReady Does
      A child died before age 8. Enter the child's birth and death information in the date fields for the baptism, endowment, and sealing to spouse.

      If you do not know the exact dates, enter Child into the appropriate ordinance fields.
      It does not clear the ordinances. If the child was not born in the covenant, it clears the child's sealing to parents.
      A child was born in the covenant. Enter born in the covenant or the abbreviation BIC in the date field for the sealing-to-parent ordinance. It does not clear the sealing to parents.
      An infant was stillborn. Enter Stillborn in the date fields for all ordinance.

      If the child was born in a country that has sometimes listed live births as stillborn, leave the ordinance fields blank, and do the ordinances in case the child lived for a short time.
      It does not clear the ordinances.
      Parent topic: For Whom Should I Do Temple Ordinances?

      © 2007, 2008, IRI

      I believe it is also to be found in most manuals published by the Church. I at least have seen it before.

      Helle