The nFS Helper: Exploding the Urban Legend

  • jimgreene22
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
      It is with some trepidation that I write this post, and only after
      much contemplation and thought. For while I enjoy my daily summary
      from FHCNET, as a Product Manager I really want to stay in the
      background and listen to and not influence opinion. However, there
      has been some misinformation floating around lately on the group posts
      that I want to make sure is corrected ASAP. It is concerning the
      Helper function in new FamilySearch.
      The helper function was designed to allow all members to participate
      in new FamilySearch, and not just those who have computers, access to
      the Internet, or who love technology. There are many many members
      throughout the world who feel intimidated by the computer, or who have
      physical constraints that do not allow them to see a computer screen
      or work with a keyboard. Many others simply cannot ever afford to own
      a computer or pay for an Internet connection. The Helper function was
      designed to allow a consultant or even a family member to come into a
      person's pedigree and act as if they were that person, without(and
      this is the key) actually being that person or having access to the
      person's account. We have placed audit controls into the Helper
      Function that record BOTH the name of the person you are helping, as
      the contributor of the data, AND you, the helper, as the submitter of
      the data. Because you have to login first in order to then help
      someone we are setting up an audit trail that ultimately both protects
      the contributor and their data, but also the system as a whole.
      A recent posting stated that it would be better to login as the person
      than to use the helper function. That is not true and that rumor must
      be stopped. I am afraid that it originated with a Family History
      Worldwide Support Knowledge document, which has subsequently been
      caught and corrected/removed. But it seems that rumor, like bad
      genealogical assertions, is hard to kill.
      Registering for someone or logging in using their ID is a major
      security breach. Bad data, malicious data, and offensive material
      could be entered by someone who has logged-in for someone else, and we
      would never know it was not the person to whom the account belonged.
      We would only know that this ID logged in and contributed this
      material. And if it was offensive, etc. we would be forced to
      de-activate the user account and force the person off of the system.
      On the other hand, logging in and using the Helper Function protects
      the individual because not only are both contributor and submitter
      recorded, but helpers also do not have access to the user's profile,
      and cannot change passwords or other secure features for the person
      they are helping. Most helpers are not out to do malicious things to
      our system. However, the only way you can be sure someone is not
      stealing your ID and getting away with incorrect behavior is to always
      use the Helper Function whether you are helping or being helped, and
      to NEVER share your Login ID or password with anyone.
      Part of the concern that prompted the erroneous Knowledge Article
      centered around the idea that if you entered data for someone as a
      helper before they got a new FamilySearch login, that then they did
      register and get a Sign-in Name and password, the data that was
      entered by a helper would not be attributed to them and they could not
      subsequently change it. This is erroneous. As stated previously, we
      keep track of the person who is being helped--via their Membership
      Record Number. When they register for the new system they have to
      enter that same number and when they do all data in the system entered
      by someone with that number, including that entered by a helper, is
      automatically linked to them as the contributor.
      So please insist that anyone helping others, or being helped by
      others, use the Helper Function--even if they have already registered
      for the new FamilySearch. And please help me kill this Urban Legend
      about the helper causing problems.
      If there are problems with the helper we need to log those as bugs and
      correct them. Not using the helper is a security breach.
      Thank you for your help and for all you do each and every day. I
      thoroughly enjoy reading my daily FHCNET!!
    • maxine nelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
        Thank you for the information!
        Maxine in NW Kansas
      • Ileen Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
          Jim,

          Thanks for your post clearing up misconceptions about the new
          FamilySearch Helper function. It is much appreciated.

          Ileen Johnson
          FHCNET List Owner

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "jimgreene22" <jrgreene@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > subsequently change it. This is erroneous. As stated previously, we
          > keep track of the person who is being helped--via their Membership
          > Record Number. When they register for the new system they have to
          > enter that same number and when they do all data in the system entered
          > by someone with that number, including that entered by a helper, is
          > automatically linked to them as the contributor.
          > So please insist that anyone helping others, or being helped by
          > others, use the Helper Function--even if they have already registered
          > for the new FamilySearch. And please help me kill this Urban Legend
          > about the helper causing problems.
          > If there are problems with the helper we need to log those as bugs and
          > correct them. Not using the helper is a security breach.
          > Thank you for your help and for all you do each and every day. I
          > thoroughly enjoy reading my daily FHCNET!!

        • Venita Roylance
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2009
            Thank you, Jim Greene! Thanks for clarifying how the Helper option
            works and why it is so important to use it.

            There has been some question among "Helpees" as to whether or not they
            would be able to edit the information that was entered via a Helper.
            As I understand what you have said, when the Helpee registers with new
            FamilySearch, all the information that they added as a Helpee will be
            recognized and attributed to them. They can then edit it, etc., as
            necessary.

            Please clarify for me what happens when a Helpee never registers, but
            always depends on a Helper to work with the data. I assume that the
            data would then always show the Helpee as the contributor and the
            Helper as the submitter. If there were corrections/editing to be
            done, would it have to be done by the same Helper that submitted it or
            could it be done by a different Helper? In other words, does the
            Helpee need to always be helped by the same Helper? How does it
            effect the built in security measures to have multiple Helpers for an
            individual Helpee?

            Many thanks for all you do!! We keep praying for all of you.

            Yours,

            Venita Parry Roylance

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2009
              I helped one in nFS, then he was able to get in eventually on his own, and edit his data where he found we had less info than he found a little later.  He was even signed on off another helper account at some point, and he was able to edit that data later too when it became necessary for the same reasons.   All this happened over a six month period.

              But the other questions Venita raises need answering.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2009
                Great questions Venita. It is the Helpee that is always recorded as
                the contributor. So regardless who the Helper is the Helpee is always
                the same. Therefore, it doesn't matter who the Helper is they will
                always be able to edit any contributions of the Helpee. We record the
                submitter just for audit purposes, it plays no part in the rules of
                who can change the assertion. To make it clearer with an example: If
                person A helps person B and enters the DOB for someone. Then person C
                helps person B, C will have the identical rights to the data as A did,
                they will be able to change the DOB or any other data entered by any
                other helper, or by B themselves. Any number of helpers can help the
                helpee, without any impact on security measures.
                Hope that helps. And keep the prayers coming for all of us. We all
                thank you, we feel them.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Thanks, Jim. That is good to know. It helps 'me' feel better about
                  entering information for a Helpee (or having the Helpee enter his/her
                  own information) when I am registered as the Helper. For various
                  reasons 'I' may not be available the next time the Helpee needs to be
                  helped. I'm pleased to know the the Helpee's data is secure and
                  editable by the Helpee no matter who the Helper is on any particular
                  occasion.

                  Venita