FamilySearch Wiki, an update.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2009
      Today they had the Utah Valley PAF User Group meeting, and I have even more updates on the FamilySearch Research Wiki than I would have had a day or two ago, I was at the user group meeting as usual and there have been good developments since.

      During the reorganization of the FHL, it was decided that the staff employees who you talk to when you need help with a research issue are now going to spend 30 percent of their time at work adding to the wiki. They will spend 20,000 man hours plus just this year alone. That is in addition to whatever the users outside the library, anywhere, spend on it.

      Two barn raisings are planned. One is underway now and by the end of the month we hope to have a very good resource about Maryland. Small state, not always alot of questions, but we wanted to start off with that because of its simplicity. Also because of its excellent digitizing program and what they have online already.

      To find out more about the barn raising, go to http://wiki.familysearch.org/ and type 'barn raising' without quotes into the search box. There is a page with various tasks that people can sign up for, or even if shy about that, can just do anyway. The more the merrier on this. Throughout the year there will be more barn raisings on many states in the US as well as international areas, including areas where the FHL is weak on, such as Latin America.

      Hopefully by March the wiki will be accessible via a tab on the main familysearch.org page. All the old research outlines are going to be placed on the site so everyone can pitch in and update many already, the old text is the 'seed' text to get the articles started. Some have already been completely reworked, but many need to be reworked. A few are not yet on the site, but will be, and all one has to do is register and start working on things at their own convenience.
    • Alan Whitcomb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2009
        One third of the missionaries at the Family History Library are now
        working on research. The wiki NEEDS to be beefed up. I have been
        adding URLs to the wiki, and that might be a better place for all of
        us to put them.

        For those of us who are bilingual don't forget the wiki is in other
        languages too! While looking for some German records, the wiki in
        English was bare, but in German .. it gave me some clues.

        <non Genealogy related> I was tickled to find Mormontranslation.com
        which has the goal of translating some LDS books into other languages.

        Alan W.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2009
          The long-range goal is to get it into at least all the languages that new FamilySearch is in, they are already working on the Spanish version, although it's not open yet to regular users, watch for that announcement.  Early work is beginning also on Portuguese, and we'll see some things happen there in a matter of months to a year on some of the language stuff.

          Yes, the German stuff is there, look at some of the handwriting helps pages they have in now.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2009
            Alan Whitcomb wrote:

            > For those of us who are bilingual don't forget the wiki is in other
            > languages too! While looking for some German records, the wiki in
            > English was bare, but in German .. it gave me some clues.

            Maybe someone who DOES read German could run it through one
            of the translator-sites and clean it up enough to get rid of
            the "the whisky is unwatered" errors?