Re: [FHCNET] Re: What type of microfilm/microfiche printer does the Church recommend?

  • hallamnr@optusnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
      Shannon,
      What type of Film Reader are you using colored poster board on. I cannot imagine how we can use such on our fiche/film readers.
      Neil Hallam

    • Shannon Miller
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009
        Ours are large Northwest readers. I place a large sheet of poster board on
        the reading surface. It not only helps with photos, it makes the film more
        visible. I have not tried it on our fiche reader. But the fiche reader is
        so seldom used I haven't found it to be an issue. It is used about as often
        as our reader printer.

        Speaking of the Northwest readers: Does anyone know a good source for
        getting belts? At a good price?

        Shannon

        _____

        What type of Film Reader are you using colored poster board on. I cannot
        imagine how we can use such on our fiche/film readers.
        Neil Hallam

        > ourgreatsolution <smmiller@fuse. <mailto:smmiller%40fuse.net> net> wrote:
        >
        > Our unit is small so my comment may not help you. We had a reader
        > printer donated two years ago and it has been used only two or three
        > times. Not enough use to warrant the space that it takes. Our patrons
        > generally bring their digital cameras and take shots of the images.
        > We provide a tripod for their cameras and recommend that they turn off
        > the flash. If you use different colors of poster board on your
        > readers, you can get a nice photo. The photo generally isn't as nice
        > if you don't add color. For most photos, the yellow poster board
        > provides the best background. Our stake provided us with a camera
        > which can be used by patrons who don't have their own.
        >
        > Shannon Miller
        > West Chester, Ohio
        >

        > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups. <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Dana
        Repouille" <drepouille@...> wrote:

        > > If your FHC qualifies for a Digital Imaging System, the Church will
        > provide
        > > a microfilm/microfiche scanner. It connects to a computer using
        > SCSI. FHCs
        > > use the imaging software provided by the Church. This software
        > reminds the
        > > patrons of their legal limitations while scanning, printing, and
        > saving
        > > digital copies of images. When printing images, each printed page
        > contains a
        > > caveat as well.
        > >
        > > Do you meet the 20/20/20 requirement?
        > >
        > > Our stake FHC has a Canon MS-400 scanner and a Canon LiDE 40 scanner,
        > > courtesy of the F&CH Department.
        > >
        > > Dana
        > >
        > > p.s. Thanks to Gary T for the reminder about Desktop 5.8. I did
        > receive that
        > > message, but I haven't bothered to order Desktop 5.8 because all my
        > > computers in the stake seem to be operating OK without it. I think
        > Gary and
        > > I agree that if XP drivers do not exist for the new computer, you
        > are asking
        > > for trouble.

      • The Allens
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009
          Leslie,
          You wrote:
          >I decided that the other expenses of the FHC would be paid for by the copy
          >charges.

          While it is okay to have the stake pay for printing/maintenance costs if
          they have the money, it is a violation of the rules governing the tax exempt
          status of the church to pay for administrative costs (books, furniture,
          pens, etc.) out of money collected from patrons for films, printing, and
          small supplies.
          This is covered on page 19 of the FHC Operations guide where it says . .
          ., "The high couincil adviser and center director ensure that the center
          does not: . . . Raise its own operating funds or generate a profit." and
          "Fees should not be used for other operating expenses."
          The stake is required to provide budget money for administrative costs
          whether or not they support the reader/printers.
          This seems a little niggling, since the money to all outward appearances
          seems to be mingled in one great pot anyway, and it is a net cost to the
          church, but remember, we are dealing with the IRS here. Although, the money
          seems to be mingled, correct accounting procedures require that film rental,
          printing/maintenance collections and expenditures, together with the
          purchase and sale of small patron supplies be accounted for in a category
          separate from administrative costs.

          Dean Allen
          Annapolis MD

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009