Re: [FHCNET] Family Tree Shows I Died - No Date

  • Russell Hltn
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      I glad to hear that email works in the next life. I was wondering
      what I was going to do with myself there without it. :-D

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        Nora Nell wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I went into the Family Tree a couple of weeks ago and was rather
        > disconcerted to see that I died in Seattle, King, Washington, United States.
        > However, it does not give a date of death. I can't, for the life of me,
        > figure out how that information got in there. I am still alive and kicking
        > and complaining.

        The good news is -- it didn't say 15 August 2007? (g)

        > However, I am loath to go into Seattle now after seeing that. Not that I am
        > afraid to die, but I have so very much to do, I hate to leave work
        > unfinished. Any ideas of what I can do to get that removed?? I have tried
        > to take it out, but have not been successful. Anyone have any suggestions??

        Complain some more -- target the feedback@ folks first. (g)
        Or I suppose, you COULD log a Different Opinion?

        Cheryl (Reminded of the obit notice in an old old newspaper
        that said Joe drowned on Wednesday next...)

        --
        There should be no attachments on this message, unless I
        specifically mentioned them above.
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
          Actually, No it is not in new Family Search, but in the new program that is
          coming out before the Wasatch front comes out. It is called FamilyTree. I
          can't remember the URL to it off hand. I am alive and fine in
          newFamilySearch.

          I guess it should not bug me, but it sure does. Especially since all looks
          fine in newFamilySearch.

          Nora Nell

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
            On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:
            > Actually, No it is not in new Family Search, but in the new program that is
            > coming out before the Wasatch front comes out. It is called FamilyTree. I
            > can't remember the URL to it off hand. I am alive and fine in
            > newFamilySearch.

            OK, now I'm really confused. My understanding is the "FamilyTree" is
            the part of nFS where we tie everyone into one large family. "Record
            Search" is another aspect of nFS that has not yet been implemented but
            can be found in labs.familysearch.org. Record Search is where you go
            searching for sources such a vital records and stuff.

            So, are there two "FamilyTree"s running around? I know labs has a
            newer version, but I thought it used the same back end database. I
            also know there's a "sandbox" nFS where the developers play in so as
            not to risk messing up the real database.
          • Nora Nell
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
              You use the same sign on in the Family Tree as you do for nFS. Here is the
              URL to get to it. http://labs.familysearch.org/familytree/#start

              I understand that this program will "replace" nFS before the Wasatch Front
              comes online live.

              > Actually, No it is not in new Family Search, but in the new program that
              is
              > coming out before the Wasatch front comes out. It is called FamilyTree. I
              > can't remember the URL to it off hand. I am alive and fine in
              > newFamilySearch.

              OK, now I'm really confused. My understanding is the "FamilyTree" is
              the part of nFS where we tie everyone into one large family. "Record
              Search" is another aspect of nFS that has not yet been implemented but
              can be found in labs.familysearch.org. Record Search is where you go
              searching for sources such a vital records and stuff.

              So, are there two "FamilyTree"s running around? I know labs has a
              newer version, but I thought it used the same back end database. I
              also know there's a "sandbox" nFS where the developers play in so as
              not to risk messing up the real database.

            • Janice Russell
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                So we have the "labs" site, the "pilot" site, the nFS site, and a
                "FamilyTree" site....now I am confused too. Are there other sites that all
                seem to connect to the nFS ?? Could someone please explain what each of
                these sites are, how are they different, and why do we need all of them.
                Jan Russell

                > You use the same sign on in the Family Tree as you do for nFS. Here is
                > the
                > URL to get to it. http://labs.familysearch.org/familytree/#start
                >
                > I understand that this program will "replace" nFS before the Wasatch Front
                > comes online live.
                >>
                > OK, now I'm really confused. My understanding is the "FamilyTree" is> the
                > part of nFS where we tie everyone into one large family. "Record
                > Search" is another aspect of nFS that has not yet been implemented but
                > can be found in labs.familysearch.org. Record Search is where you go
                > searching for sources such a vital records and stuff.
                >
                > So, are there two "FamilyTree"s running around? I know labs has a
                > newer version, but I thought it used the same back end database. I
                > also know there's a "sandbox" nFS where the developers play in so as
                > not to risk messing up the real database.

              • Gary Turner
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Janice Russell" <janice@...> wrote:

                  > So we have the "labs" site, the "pilot" site, the nFS site, and a
                  > "FamilyTree" site....now I am confused too. Are there other sites
                  > that all seem to connect to the nFS ?? Could someone please explain
                  > what each of these sites are, how are they different, and why do we
                  > need all of them.
                  > Jan Russell

                  FamilySearch is the Church's main Family History Site, that will not
                  change. All these other sites are temporary site locations for new
                  applications which will be developed to be added to the FamilySearch
                  site once they are ready for full release. Many of these sites are
                  available in limited release or access is being allowed while the
                  sites are being prepared to be added to FamilySearch.

                  new.FamilySeach is a Temporary site location for two application,
                  Family Tree and the online Temple Ready application. These programs
                  are in limited release to some Temple Districts. Once these programs
                  are completed they will be added to FamilySearch and the
                  new.FamilySearch site will be discontinued.

                  FamilySearch Labs is a place where you can go to see new applications
                  and new versions of existing applications which are being developed
                  and will someday be added to FamilySearch. They let us use the
                  programs while they are being developed and encourage us to provide
                  feedback to help develop the applications to meet our needs.

                  The FamilyTree program that you see at FSLabs is the new version of
                  newFamilySearch that is under development. FamilyTree is the
                  application for the official Temple Records of the Church and is the
                  site where names are cleared for the Temple. It will includes the
                  online Temple Ready Program.

                  The RecordSearch program you see at FSLabs has already been added to
                  FamilySearch as Record Search Pilot. Record Search is the application
                  which allows us to search the databases created in the FamilySearch
                  Indexing program.

                  The FamilySearch Indexing program was developed at FSLabs and has now
                  been added to FamilySearch. The FS Indexing program is a project to
                  extract all the microfilms from the Family History Library and make
                  them available online through the Record Search application.

                  The FamilySearch Research Wiki and the FamilySearch Research Forums
                  will be added to FamilySearch once they are ready. They are being
                  developed to provide research assistance in doing Family History.

                  FamilySearch Archives is a new application which has been added to
                  FamilySearch. This is a project to digitize all the books at the
                  Family History Library and family history books from other major
                  libraries and make them available online at FamilySearch. It is being
                  hosted for FamilySearch by BYU, you can access those books which have
                  already been scanned and digitized from the search menu at FamilySearch.

                  If you want to find out more about the technology applications of the
                  Church you can go to: http://tech.lds.org/index.php
                • Ileen Johnson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Gary,

                    Thanks for the clarification.

                    Ileen

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Gary, thanks for taking the time to explain all this.
                      Jan Russell

                      >> So we have the "labs" site, the "pilot" site, the nFS site, and a
                      >> "FamilyTree" site....now I am confused too. Are there other sites
                      >> that all seem to connect to the nFS ?? Could someone please explain
                      >> what each of these sites are, how are they different, and why do we
                      >> need all of them.
                      >> Jan Russell
                      >>
                      > FamilySearch is the Church's main Family History Site, that will not
                      > change. All these other sites are temporary site locations for new
                      > applications which will be developed to be added to the FamilySearch
                      > site once they are ready for full release. Many of these sites are
                      > available in limited release or access is being allowed while the
                      > sites are being prepared to be added to FamilySearch.
                      >
                      > new.FamilySeach is a Temporary site location for two application,
                      > Family Tree and the online Temple Ready application. These programs
                      > are in limited release to some Temple Districts. Once these programs
                      > are completed they will be added to FamilySearch and the
                      > new.FamilySearch site will be discontinued.
                      >
                      > FamilySearch Labs is a place where you can go to see new applications
                      > and new versions of existing applications which are being developed
                      > and will someday be added to FamilySearch. They let us use the
                      > programs while they are being developed and encourage us to provide
                      > feedback to help develop the applications to meet our needs.
                      >
                      > The FamilyTree program that you see at FSLabs is the new version of
                      > newFamilySearch that is under development. FamilyTree is the
                      > application for the official Temple Records of the Church and is the
                      > site where names are cleared for the Temple. It will includes the
                      > online Temple Ready Program.
                      >
                      > The RecordSearch program you see at FSLabs has already been added to
                      > FamilySearch as Record Search Pilot. Record Search is the application
                      > which allows us to search the databases created in the FamilySearch
                      > Indexing program.
                      >
                      > The FamilySearch Indexing program was developed at FSLabs and has now
                      > been added to FamilySearch. The FS Indexing program is a project to
                      > extract all the microfilms from the Family History Library and make
                      > them available online through the Record Search application.
                      >
                      > The FamilySearch Research Wiki and the FamilySearch Research Forums
                      > will be added to FamilySearch once they are ready. They are being
                      > developed to provide research assistance in doing Family History.
                      >
                      > FamilySearch Archives is a new application which has been added to
                      > FamilySearch. This is a project to digitize all the books at the
                      > Family History Library and family history books from other major
                      > libraries and make them available online at FamilySearch. It is being
                      > hosted for FamilySearch by BYU, you can access those books which have
                      > already been scanned and digitized from the search menu at FamilySearch.
                      >
                      > If you want to find out more about the technology applications of the
                      > Church you can go to: http://tech.lds.org/index.php

                    • Gary Templeman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Gary,

                        Are you sure about your use of the term "all"? My understanding is that
                        while most of the current microfilms and books will eventually be digitized,
                        there are many that will not due to lack of copyright permissions for
                        converting to other formats or posting online, similar to the issue with the
                        Scottish Church Records. All of the microfilms currently restricted from
                        distribution to FHC's probably fall into that category.

                        Gary Templeman

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
                          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Gary,
                          >
                          > Are you sure about your use of the term "all"? My understanding is
                          that
                          > while most of the current microfilms and books will eventually be
                          digitized,
                          > there are many that will not due to lack of copyright permissions
                          for
                          > converting to other formats or posting online, similar to the issue
                          with the
                          > Scottish Church Records. All of the microfilms currently restricted
                          from
                          > distribution to FHC's probably fall into that category.
                          >
                          > Gary Templeman

                          You are correct. They will digitize all that they can but there will
                          be some that their agreements with the records custodian will not
                          allow them to digitize their records. I saw that "all" in my post
                          after I made it and knew it wasn't correct but Yahoo Groups does not
                          allow us to edit our posts. The same is true with the Books in the
                          Library not all books will be digitized, because the Church does not
                          have permission to digitize some.