Re: Missing ordinances on extraction generated submission.

  • T. Mason
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2008
      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
      > I've got a problem trying to resolve an issue regarding a name me
      and another consultant found and connected to a tree that has the
      baptism and confirmation dates, but show the rest of the ordinances as
      'in progress' four years later.
      > <<<<<<snip>>>>>>>

      Three time in the past two weeks I've been helping members who are
      having serious problems because of this topic.

      Each have had direct line relatives whose data was partially processed
      in the Church record extraction process. In each case the records are
      listed in nFS as "In Progress". They have been in some stage of a
      "cleared" status for over ten years each in the IGI.

      There was another member who I helped on Tuesday who had 35 cards with
      blanks in the sealing to parent's field and the cards were processed
      through TempleReady in May 2000. (Eight years ago.) They were listed
      as "In Progress" in the nFS and we found this when I helped him
      register. Those sealings were processed the next evening.

      Although it appears records submitted to Temple File are being
      processed much faster it seems that some of the new temples pull
      batches of records and them set them on shelves - in case the Internet
      system goes down. They don't rotate the batches, they just sit on the
      shelves like the cards from the extraction records have sat on the
      shelves. (Shame on them for creating this artificial roadblock.)

      Also some people still regard all names they prepare as theirs only
      and they selfishly hoard them - ignoring the advice that they should
      only reserve enough names that they can process in the next few
      months; they should enter the rest of the names into nFS and release
      them for others to help with work.

      The nFS program was primarily designed as a means to stop the
      duplication of ordinances.

      The new Family Search program finally requires ordinances to be
      processed in sequence which I accept as a correct principle. But the
      problem to me seems there is a block when ordinances been on hold in a
      "Cleared" or "In Progress" status for ten years.

      The patron I was helping was quite concerned about her great
      grandfather's family because she has cancer. If we expect members to
      accept the responsibility to bind their family together, then I think
      the process of blocking these ordinances must somehow be stopped.
      We've got to accept the human side of this data processing method. She
      quite deserves the privilege of doing this work before she dies after
      waiting all these years. Instead of having us submit to the process,
      the nFS program should be a tool to help the member bind their family
      into an eternal unit.

      The extraction records need to be rechecked for they are duplicating
      submissions.

      I think there needs to be some method to release all records for
      ordinance work if they are held for more than a year.

      Terry Mason
      Clermont, FL
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2008
        Try it again both with and without login to be sure it's the same one (it is, but seeing if there is something else odd doesn't hurt), here are the complete details on the birthplace and date.

        Chester, Burlington, New Jersey

        (no United States).

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
          Jim and Eileen, IGI batch C005296 was extracted from FHL film
          #0494195 which consists of New Jersey records, Births Atlantic-Hudson
          v. 12 1882-1883 . So it's from the temple file and maybe waiting for
          other ordinances, too. Regarding IGI batches without the film
          number, we've got a database here at the London FHC that we can look
          up most of them in since our patrons find so many of them and want to
          know the film so they can see the original record.

          Elder Snow

          At 02:16 AM 7/19/2008, James W Anderson wrote:

          >Try it again both with and without login to be sure it's the same
          >one (it is, but seeing if there is something else odd doesn't hurt),
          >here are the complete details on the birthplace and date.

          >Chester, Burlington, New Jersey
          >
          >(no United States).
          >
          >--- On Fri, 7/18/08, Ileen Johnson
          ><<mailto:ileenjohnson%40gmail.com>ileenjohnson@...> wrote:
          >From: Ileen Johnson <<mailto:ileenjohnson%40gmail.com>ileenjohnson@...>
          >Subject: [FHCNET] Re: Missing ordinances on extraction generated submission.
          >To: <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
          >Date: Friday, July 18, 2008, 6:01 PM
          >
          >James,
          >
          >I searched for Harry H. Bozearth b. 1882, date range 5 years, United
          >
          >States, New Jersey and found him. Then I noticed I had not logged in
          >
          >to see the ordinance dates, so I signed in and searched again. Could
          >
          >not find him using the same parameters as above. When I searched
          >
          >without loggin in, the source showed C005296 Type: film, no Source
          >
          >Number. Interesting. . . .
          >
          >--- In FHCNET@yahoogroups. com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@ ...> wrote:
          >

          > > I've got a problem trying to resolve an issue regarding a name me
          >
          >and another consultant found and connected to a tree that has the
          >
          >baptism and confirmation dates, but show the rest of the ordinances as
          >
          >'in progress' four years later.
          >

          > > No record is found even in the old IGI of this name. No other
          >
          >records exist save for the one record for this person even in nFS for
          >
          >the individual, and there are no combined records.
          >

          > > There is however an extraction batch number, C-005296, found in the
          >
          >notes, which is how it got to the Boston Temple and had the first
          >
          >ordinances performed, and I would assume the rest also, but no way
          >
          >exists right now of telling for sure whether it was there or
          >
          >elsewhere, or whether the rest of the ordinances even got done.
          >

          > > Here's my other consultant's individual.
          >

          > > Harry H. Bozearth
          >
          > > b. 1882
          >
          > > PID M5MX-7XK
          >

          > > The problem is Support thinks (twice now) that this was submitted by
          >
          >a member, and did not see the extraction record. It's from a
          >
          >birth/christening record of some sort.

          Elder Donald R. Snow, England London Mission
          London Family History Centre (formerly Hyde Park Family History
          Centre), http://www.hydeparkfhc.org
          Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo,
          Utah; snowd@...