Skip to search.

nFS Problem

  • Wendy Quirke
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
      Hi Everybody, I was always under the impression that computers could only do
      what they are told!! nFS seems to have a mind of its own. I opened my
      program over the weekend to find my mother-in-law now has 2 husbands. She
      is married to her husband and to his brother that died as a 3 month old
      child!! I cannot seperate them either. In the next generation both
      grandfathers now have the same names. Again I can't seperate or delete
      them. Has anyone had similar problems and can they be solved.
      Thanks,
      Wendy

    • FredV
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
        Call or email the helpdesk, if they can't solve it, they will send it to
        the data folks, that's how my 2nd wife disappeared...:-)

        Regards, Fred

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
          So if I combined the same person (from two different PRF databases) and kept
          the one with the least data.. I should email the helpdesk?

          Alan
          Staying in a Spanish language Branch..but since it's the U.S. 1/2 of them
          are illegal!

          On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM, FredV <unclefvp@...> wrote:

          > Call or email the helpdesk, if they can't solve it, they will send it to
          > the data folks, that's how my 2nd wife disappeared...:-)
          >

          > Regards, Fred

        • Winter Owl
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
            No

            Copywight 2008 Elmer Fudd

            All wights wesewved

            So if I combined the same person (from two different PRF databases) and kept
            the one with the least data.. I should email the helpdesk?

            Alan
            Staying in a Spanish language Branch..but since it's the U.S. 1/2 of them
            are illegal!

            On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM, FredV <unclefvp@...> wrote:

            > Call or email the helpdesk, if they can't solve it, they will send it
            > the data folks, that's how my 2nd wife disappeared...:-)
            >

            > Regards, Fred

            Groups Links

          • Wayne Horscroft
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy Quirke" <wquirke@...> wrote:
              .... I opened my program over the weekend to find my mother-in-law
              now has 2 husbands. She is married to her husband and to his brother
              that died as a 3 month old child!!

              Hi folks,
              you may be dealing with a relationship loop created by the combining
              of 2 distinct individuals under the same record group, i.e. the
              husband.

              Suggestion - try this approach -
              Select the husband's record either summary level or detail level.
              Now click on his combined records option at the bottom of the window -
              if there is more than one record look for the one that relates to
              his brother and separate it.

              If there are no combined records, perform a similar check on the
              wife's record for combinations - you may find a record that links her
              through a marriage record to the brother - separae that record.

              No resolution? - now send a feedback/question email to support,
              report the situation as clearly as possible providing details that
              will let them find the folks involved.

              Good Luck
              Wayne Horscroft
              Hillsboro Oregon FHC
            • Wendy Quirke
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 16, 2008
                Thanks so much!! I didn't realise that there were more over the page. I
                found the problem one and by doing the separating, it has sorted it out.
                Wendy

              • gturn55
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Some relationship loops can be resolved by going to the "Parents and
                  Siblings" or "Spouses and Childrens" view and selecting "View
                  Relationships Details" then click to Edit the relationship. If you
                  were the one who caused the relationship problem you can undo it by
                  editing the relationship. Sometimes you can be the one who caused
                  the problem and not even realize you did it.

                  If the problem was caused by combining, then you must uncombine the
                  bad record to resolve the problem. We are expecting better uncombine
                  tools in future releases of nFS and from commercial software
                  companies who have been certified by nFS to offer software that
                  updates and syncs with nFS. Ohana Software plans better uncombine
                  tools in it's new Family Insight program which is due out soon.
                  (upgrade to PAF Insight)

                  If the problem is caused by someone submitting bad relationships the
                  problem may show up again after uncombing the offending record when
                  someone else combines the bad record again, in this case you need to
                  get the person who submitted the bad data to correct it. This is a
                  problem when no one has claimed the bad submission, you may just have
                  to wait for a better solution from nFS in a later release or wait for
                  someone to claim the submission.

                  > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy Quirke" <wquirke@> wrote:
                  > Hi folks,
                  > you may be dealing with a relationship loop created by the
                  combining
                  > of 2 distinct individuals under the same record group, i.e. the
                  > husband.
                  >
                  > Suggestion - try this approach -
                  > Select the husband's record either summary level or detail level.
                  > Now click on his combined records option at the bottom of the
                  window -
                  > if there is more than one record look for the one that relates to
                  > his brother and separate it.
                  >
                  > If there are no combined records, perform a similar check on the
                  > wife's record for combinations - you may find a record that links
                  her
                  > through a marriage record to the brother - separae that record.
                  >
                  > No resolution? - now send a feedback/question email to support,
                  > report the situation as clearly as possible providing details that
                  > will let them find the folks involved.
                  >
                  > Good Luck
                  > Wayne Horscroft
                  > Hillsboro Oregon FHC

                • Vereen Lynn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 16, 2008
                    Hi, I have a query.  Are we still suppose to be reporting our FHC activity?  I have difficulty having people report the temple work they do.  Any suggestions?
                    Thanks from Clarksville, AR

                    Vereen Lynn

                  • Cynthia Barnes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16, 2008
                      On the fhc directors page there is a survey to fill out for FHC activity. I
                      doesn't ask for temple work any more it just asks questions on number of
                      patrons, member and non member, number of staff and number of extended loan
                      films, also average number of hours per week.
                      Cynthia

                      On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Vereen Lynn <vereenlk@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, I have a query. Are we still suppose to be reporting our FHC
                      > activity? I have difficulty having people report the temple work they do.
                      > Any suggestions?
                      > Thanks from Clarksville, AR
                      >
                      > Vereen Lynn
                      >
                      > --

                    • Dianna Rounds
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 16, 2008
                        Bro. Price,

                        Do you know what she is talking about? Below.

                        Sis. Rounds

                        On the fhc directors page there is a survey to fill out for FHC activity. I
                        doesn't ask for temple work any more it just asks questions on number of
                        patrons, member and non member, number of staff and number of extended loan
                        films, also average number of hours per week.
                        Cynthia

                        On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Vereen Lynn <vereenlk@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, I have a query. Are we still suppose to be reporting our FHC
                        > activity? I have difficulty having people report the temple work they do.
                        > Any suggestions?
                        > Thanks from Clarksville, AR
                        >
                        > Vereen Lynn
                        >
                        > --

                      • Cynthia Barnes
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 17, 2008
                          Sorry didn't explain it well. Go to the family history on line guide and
                          right in the middle of the page it reads survey. Access to family history
                          on line guide is http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/
                          Hope this helps.
                          Cynthia

                          On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Dianna Rounds <drounds14707@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Bro. Price,
                          >
                          > Do you know what she is talking about? Below.
                          >
                          > Sis. Rounds

                        • Vereen Lynn
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 17, 2008
                            Thanks for your help.  We do a lot of temple work but was having problems getting it reported.  I know with the NFS that it will be reported anyway.  Looking forward to October when we are suppose to have the new program.

                            Vereen Lynn

                          • Emil O. Hanson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 19, 2008
                              Vereen,
                              Reports are coming back soon - the Regional centers have just been asked
                              to bring reports to a meeting with Lance McKintosh yjr Director for all FHC
                              in North America. Hang in there and keep collecting your data. Emil, ORFHC

                              On 7/16/08, Vereen Lynn <vereenlk@...> wrote:

                              > Hi, I have a query. Are we still suppose to be reporting our FHC
                              > activity? I have difficulty having people report the temple work they do.
                              > Any suggestions?
                              > Thanks from Clarksville, AR
                              >
                              > Vereen Lynn
                              >
                              > --