Re: [FHCNET] A new name for the church?

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
      This is funny, all because of a common typo, and what usually happens to cause this type of typo is that the person composing the email or whatever thinks they already have typed the word that is missing.  In this case the missing word is 'Saints'.

      I don't recall seeing this one before at least from the Church, but I've seen it once or twice in emails and other places, and when they discover the missing word if it is on a website, they fix it almost as soon as it is discovered.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
        If you take a look at the Life Browser Prototype being developed on
        the labs.familysearch.org website you will see that there is a plan to
        be able to link records to individuals. My guess is that this would be
        a future upgrade to the nFS program. Ancestry.com already has
        something link this in their family tree area. This would bee a great
        improvement over the current source notes ability that we currently
        have.

        Miles Meyer

        On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:
        > Dear Eric and other List Members,
        >

        > Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they are
        > identified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and the
        > power point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, then
        > that could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.
        >
        > Nora Nell

      • Winter Owl
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
          First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics in a foreign alphabet.
          There are also problems with changing forms (like the Washington State Birth records.)
          Give them a little time, and it will all come together.

          Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have C ++

          :-)

          Robert

          Its tough to make predictions,

          especially about the future.

          Yogi Berra

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
            PJS:  I hope they leave it up to human beings to do the
            connecting and don't just throw all of the indexing into
            nFS and let the computer do what it can then leave the
            rest up to us ... I thought I had heard that was the plan.
            But the good news is my hearning is usually bad!!!
            Phoebe Stages

            On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Nora Nell <noranell1@gmail. com> wrote:
            > Dear Eric and other List Members,
            >

            > Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they are
            > identified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and the
            > power point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, then
            > that could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.
            >
            > Nora Nell

          • Nora Ray
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
              We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

              Nora Ray

              To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comFrom: rhvann@...: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:14:11 -0700Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing

              First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics in a foreign alphabet.There are also problems with changing forms (like the Washington State Birth records.)Give them a little time, and it will all come together.Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have C ++:-)Robert****************************************************Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.Yogi Berra--- On Sun, 7/6/08, Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:From: Nora Nell <noranell1@...>Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingTo: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 9:17 AMDear Eric and other List Members,If you took the time to look at the list of current projects, you would seethat over half of them ARE from countries other than the good old USA. Somuch so that some of my Indexers have expressed concern that we are runningout of English language records. The variety of records now available for Indexing, in my mind, has been andcontinues to be a factor in the drop off in the number of records indexed. There is a learning curve for each project. Not all of us are working onthe same project anymore, so there is not quite the commonality we had whenwe were all doing the 1900 US Census. Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they areidentified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and thepower point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, thenthat could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.Nora NellFrom: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FHCNET@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf OfregisterSent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:09 AMTo: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingKathy, a nice message you distributed.Now for a personal point of view. I have spoken to potential indexers andcurrent indexers who are tired of indexing United States Material. It isnice to see some Spanish records being indexed and, indeed, a few others.There are more members outside the US than inside. There are many whoseancestry does not include the United States and when the indexing programstarts to recognize this and extends into other countries we may see a risein the level of interest. EricSubject: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]------------------------------------List owner: ileenjohnson@...: FHCNET-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comSubscribe: Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo!Groups Links[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • fhcdir2006
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                Yes, it took a few times typing it in but then it worked just fine.

                Tammy

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Nora Ray <noray115@...> wrote:

                > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When
                we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work.
                Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A.
                Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                > Nora Ray

              • Dana Repouille
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                  Our stake has 3483 membership records, 272 of which end in A.

                  Dana

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                    You type the same way you do with the numbers. Many of the members in this area have the alpha as part of their membership number.

                  • Winter Owl
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                      As a former clerk, I've seen it quite often.

                      Its tough to make predictions,

                      especially about the future.

                      Yogi Berra

                      We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When
                      we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work.
                      Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A.
                      Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                      Nora Ray

                      Groups Links

                    • elliephantmommy
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                        The first person I helped register for nFS had this and I was so
                        convinced it had been transcribed incorrectly on her temple reccommend
                        that had my husband look up her record before even trying it! Kind of
                        embarrassed when it turned out to be correct, but I'd had no idea
                        letters could be part of a membership number.
                      • rhensign2
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                          Nora Ray,

                          A check digit is the last number in a UPC that is used to verify the
                          accuracy of the code. The right most character in a membership
                          number is a check digit. This is a calculated digit. The formula used
                          in membership numbers uses an 'A' in addition to numbers. When a
                          membership number is entered with any character not correct the check
                          digit will prevent access or use of the entry.

                          Richard Ensign
                          Huntsville, Utah

                          > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today.
                          When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work.
                          Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital
                          A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                          > Nora Ray

                        • Margaret Thompson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                            We have 9 children and our third child (who is our 3rd son) has a membership record with a capital A at the end. None can tell me why.

                            Margaret

                            We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first
                            tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the
                            field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an
                            alphanumeric membership #?

                            Nora Ray

                            To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comFrom: rhvann@...: Sun, 6 Jul 2008
                            10:14:11 -0700Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing

                            First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the
                            programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics
                            in a foreign alphabet.There are also problems with changing forms (like the
                            Washington State Birth records.)Give them a little time, and it will all come
                            together.Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have
                            C ++:-)Robert****************************************************Its tough to
                            make predictions, especially about the future.Yogi Berra--- On Sun, 7/6/08,
                            Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:From: Nora Nell
                            <noranell1@...>Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingTo:
                            FHCNET@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 9:17 AMDear Eric and other
                            List Members,If you took the time to look at the list of current projects, you
[...]
                            message have been removed]

                            Groups Links

                          • Terri J.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                              Yes, we have seen a few membership numbers with alpha characters and we
                              also found them to be case sensitive.

                              -Terri J.

                              Nora Ray wrote:
                              > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?
                              >
                              > Nora Ray
                            • Joseph
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                I've been doing the 1870 Census for a couple states. They have few
                                columns and go very fast--only takes about 20 min. to do the 40 names!
                                I love my new big monitor. I can have it up to 75% size and still not
                                have to use the scroll bar, so the information is easy to read and do.
                              • Charles Schmalz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                  The last digit in your membership number is actually a check digit,
                                  used to verify that the number is input/read correctly. It is a
                                  calculated value based on the value and order of the other ditits in
                                  the number. It is epressed in hexadecimal (base 16) code.
                                  Hexidecimal uses the digits 0..9 and the letters A..F, the letters
                                  standing for the numbers 11..16.

                                  Charlie Schmalz
                                  Ogden UT