Encouraging Indexing

  • kgrant100@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
      Hi all,

      I attended a meeting last week where we learned that the amount of indexing being done has declined. More indexers are needed to help move the work ahead. I realize I'm "preaching to the choir" here :) But all of us have friends and family who might like to get involved.

      I sent out the following email to another list I'm on. Already two people responded with interest. If it would be helpful, feel free to use all of this email or any part of it to encourage your friends and family to support the indexing project.

      Best regards,

      Kathy
      Gilroy CA USA FHS

      Hi Friends,

      On this weekend when we celebrate freedom, there are people who are seeking and longing earnestly for freedom. They can't help themselves, but we can help them.

      You may already be aware that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has started a massive volunteer project to index millions of family history records. The indexed records are free to everyone. Volunteers have already indexed millions of names (which are already searchable here: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0).

      The project is off to a great start--but as you can imagine, the amount still left to do is staggering. And that's where we can help. If you have an internet connection and just 30 minutes a week, you can index names--you can do it any time of the day or night. You don't have to get dressed up--you can index in your pajamas if you want :)

      Here is the indexing site where you can learn more and sign up if you want to: www.familysearchindexing.com.

      I attended a meeting yesterday where we were told that more volunteers are urgently needed to move this work forward. Think and pray about it, look at the web site, and if it seems right, join the army of volunteers fighting in the great cause of liberating our brothers and sisters from spirit prison.

      Sometimes I think we don't fully realize the plight of those beyond the veil. (I know I didn't.) But President Hinckley portrayed it in this way, as described by Elder D. Todd Christoffersen: "In remarks to new temple presidents and matrons in October, 2000, he [President Hinckley] compared our work for the dead in temples to the rescue of the Willie and Martin Handcart companies. He noted that he was speaking on the anniversary of their last day of bread, still some 300 miles from the Salt Lake valley. They were in desperate circumstances, unable to help themselves. If Brigham Young had not suspended General Conference and dispatched the rescue parties, all of those in the handcart companies would have perished. President Hinckley then stated that those who wait beyond the veil for the ordinances of the gospel are in desperate circumstances analogous to the handcart pioneers. They need our help. Those who labor in the temples of the Lord are their rescuers, he said. We need to wake up the whole Church to their plight." (See "How Beautiful Thy Temples, Lord" at http://familyhistory.byu.edu/resources/firesides/2002-03-08.pdf)

      If you know of anyone else who might be interested, please feel free to pass this information on to them. If you have questions, please feel free to email me directly. And if any of you will be in Utah this summer, you might be interested in the family history classes offered by the Family History Training Center in Provo, Utah. See www.familyhistorytraining.org.

      Wishing everyone a wonderful 4th of July--

      Kathy

    • register
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
        Kathy, a nice message you distributed.

        Now for a personal point of view. I have spoken to potential indexers and
        current indexers who are tired of indexing United States Material. It is
        nice to see some Spanish records being indexed and, indeed, a few others.
        There are more members outside the US than inside. There are many whose
        ancestry does not include the United States and when the indexing program
        starts to recognize this and extends into other countries we may see a rise
        in the level of interest.

        Eric

        Subject: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing
      • Nora Nell
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
          Dear Eric and other List Members,

          If you took the time to look at the list of current projects, you would see
          that over half of them ARE from countries other than the good old USA. So
          much so that some of my Indexers have expressed concern that we are running
          out of English language records.

          The variety of records now available for Indexing, in my mind, has been and
          continues to be a factor in the drop off in the number of records indexed.

          There is a learning curve for each project. Not all of us are working on
          the same project anymore, so there is not quite the commonality we had when
          we were all doing the 1900 US Census.

          Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they are
          identified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and the
          power point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, then
          that could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.

          Nora Nell

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
            It is unlikely that we will run out of english speaking records in the near future. But also keep in mind that some English records are copyrighted and the Church will not be able to index them.

          • register
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
              Have I missed something? A new name? I am surprised it has not been raised
              here but if you look at a recent memo from FamilySearch support re 'The
              Future of PAF' you will see that the name of the church has changed. Look
              carefully - it is there. An interesting typo, perhaps, but still
              interesting.

              Eric
            • Alan Jones
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                Yesterday I gave a presentation to the county genealogical society on the
                FamilySearch Indexing. I explained the system, how it works, and encouraged
                them to participate. There are many different benefits of participating. I
                have learned about new records I did not know. I have learned better how to
                read and understand records. And more.

                Alan

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                  This is funny, all because of a common typo, and what usually happens to cause this type of typo is that the person composing the email or whatever thinks they already have typed the word that is missing.  In this case the missing word is 'Saints'.

                  I don't recall seeing this one before at least from the Church, but I've seen it once or twice in emails and other places, and when they discover the missing word if it is on a website, they fix it almost as soon as it is discovered.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                    If you take a look at the Life Browser Prototype being developed on
                    the labs.familysearch.org website you will see that there is a plan to
                    be able to link records to individuals. My guess is that this would be
                    a future upgrade to the nFS program. Ancestry.com already has
                    something link this in their family tree area. This would bee a great
                    improvement over the current source notes ability that we currently
                    have.

                    Miles Meyer

                    On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:
                    > Dear Eric and other List Members,
                    >

                    > Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they are
                    > identified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and the
                    > power point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, then
                    > that could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.
                    >
                    > Nora Nell

                  • Winter Owl
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                      First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics in a foreign alphabet.
                      There are also problems with changing forms (like the Washington State Birth records.)
                      Give them a little time, and it will all come together.

                      Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have C ++

                      :-)

                      Robert

                      Its tough to make predictions,

                      especially about the future.

                      Yogi Berra

                      Now for a personal point of view. I have spoken to potential indexers and
                      current indexers who are tired of indexing United States Material. It is
                      nice to see some Spanish records being indexed and, indeed, a few others.
                      There are more members outside the US than inside. There are many whose
                      ancestry does not include the United States and when the indexing program
                      starts to recognize this and extends into other countries we may see a rise
                      in the level of interest.

                      Eric

                      Groups Links

                    • Phoebe Stages
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                        PJS:  I hope they leave it up to human beings to do the
                        connecting and don't just throw all of the indexing into
                        nFS and let the computer do what it can then leave the
                        rest up to us ... I thought I had heard that was the plan.
                        But the good news is my hearning is usually bad!!!
                        Phoebe Stages

                        On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Nora Nell <noranell1@gmail. com> wrote:
                        > Dear Eric and other List Members,
                        >

                        > Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they are
                        > identified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and the
                        > power point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, then
                        > that could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.
                        >
                        > Nora Nell

                      • Nora Ray
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                          We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                          Nora Ray

                          To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comFrom: rhvann@...: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:14:11 -0700Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing

                          First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics in a foreign alphabet.There are also problems with changing forms (like the Washington State Birth records.)Give them a little time, and it will all come together.Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have C ++:-)Robert****************************************************Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.Yogi Berra--- On Sun, 7/6/08, Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:From: Nora Nell <noranell1@...>Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingTo: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 9:17 AMDear Eric and other List Members,If you took the time to look at the list of current projects, you would seethat over half of them ARE from countries other than the good old USA. Somuch so that some of my Indexers have expressed concern that we are runningout of English language records. The variety of records now available for Indexing, in my mind, has been andcontinues to be a factor in the drop off in the number of records indexed. There is a learning curve for each project. Not all of us are working onthe same project anymore, so there is not quite the commonality we had whenwe were all doing the 1900 US Census. Is it true that the images will be linked to the people in nFS once they areidentified? I was at a tri-Stake meeting on nFS on the 26th of June and thepower point presentation gave me that impression. If that is true, thenthat could have a positive influence on getting more people to do indexing.Nora NellFrom: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FHCNET@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf OfregisterSent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:09 AMTo: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingKathy, a nice message you distributed.Now for a personal point of view. I have spoken to potential indexers andcurrent indexers who are tired of indexing United States Material. It isnice to see some Spanish records being indexed and, indeed, a few others.There are more members outside the US than inside. There are many whoseancestry does not include the United States and when the indexing programstarts to recognize this and extends into other countries we may see a risein the level of interest. EricSubject: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]------------------------------------List owner: ileenjohnson@...: FHCNET-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comSubscribe: Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo!Groups Links[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        • fhcdir2006
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                            Yes, it took a few times typing it in but then it worked just fine.

                            Tammy

                            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Nora Ray <noray115@...> wrote:

                            > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When
                            we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work.
                            Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A.
                            Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                            > Nora Ray

                          • Dana Repouille
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                              Our stake has 3483 membership records, 272 of which end in A.

                              Dana

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                You type the same way you do with the numbers. Many of the members in this area have the alpha as part of their membership number.

                              • Winter Owl

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                    The first person I helped register for nFS had this and I was so
                                    convinced it had been transcribed incorrectly on her temple reccommend
                                    that had my husband look up her record before even trying it! Kind of
                                    embarrassed when it turned out to be correct, but I'd had no idea
                                    letters could be part of a membership number.
                                  • rhensign2
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                      Nora Ray,

                                      A check digit is the last number in a UPC that is used to verify the
                                      accuracy of the code. The right most character in a membership
                                      number is a check digit. This is a calculated digit. The formula used
                                      in membership numbers uses an 'A' in addition to numbers. When a
                                      membership number is entered with any character not correct the check
                                      digit will prevent access or use of the entry.

                                      Richard Ensign
                                      Huntsville, Utah

                                      > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today.
                                      When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work.
                                      Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital
                                      A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?

                                      > Nora Ray

                                    • Margaret Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                        We have 9 children and our third child (who is our 3rd son) has a membership record with a capital A at the end. None can tell me why.

                                        Margaret

                                        We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first
                                        tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the
                                        field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an
                                        alphanumeric membership #?

                                        Nora Ray

                                        To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.comFrom: rhvann@...: Sun, 6 Jul 2008
                                        10:14:11 -0700Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging Indexing

                                        First, the developers had to start somewhere. The common language of the
                                        programmers is the logical place to start, without having to learn the basics
                                        in a foreign alphabet.There are also problems with changing forms (like the
                                        Washington State Birth records.)Give them a little time, and it will all come
                                        together.Even God took 6 days to create the earth, and He didn't even have
                                        C ++:-)Robert****************************************************Its tough to
                                        make predictions, especially about the future.Yogi Berra--- On Sun, 7/6/08,
                                        Nora Nell <noranell1@...> wrote:From: Nora Nell
                                        <noranell1@...>Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Encouraging IndexingTo:
                                        FHCNET@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 9:17 AMDear Eric and other
                                        List Members,If you took the time to look at the list of current projects, you
[...]
                                        message have been removed]

                                        Groups Links

                                      • Terri J.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                          Yes, we have seen a few membership numbers with alpha characters and we
                                          also found them to be case sensitive.

                                          -Terri J.

                                          Nora Ray wrote:
                                          > We ran in to a member whose membership number ended in A today. When we first tried to sign in as a helper to him, it wouldn't work. Apparently the field is case sensitive and we had to use a capital A. Has anyone else seen an alphanumeric membership #?
                                          >
                                          > Nora Ray
                                        • Joseph
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                            I've been doing the 1870 Census for a couple states. They have few
                                            columns and go very fast--only takes about 20 min. to do the 40 names!
                                            I love my new big monitor. I can have it up to 75% size and still not
                                            have to use the scroll bar, so the information is easy to read and do.
                                          • Charles Schmalz
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                                              The last digit in your membership number is actually a check digit,
                                              used to verify that the number is input/read correctly. It is a
                                              calculated value based on the value and order of the other ditits in
                                              the number. It is epressed in hexadecimal (base 16) code.
                                              Hexidecimal uses the digits 0..9 and the letters A..F, the letters
                                              standing for the numbers 11..16.

                                              Charlie Schmalz
                                              Ogden UT