RE: [FHCNET] Montreal Temple Announced for nFS

  • FredV
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2008
      Same message today from the Montreal Temple..:-)

      Regards, Fred, Westport NY branch
      www.ticonderogaheritagemuseum.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

        > I received the email this AM that the Portland Oregon Temple is now
        in the rollout window. One slight change from what has previously been
        stated here is that rather than 90 days, it is "in about four months".

        > Gary Templeman, Director
        > Corvallis Oregon FHC

        It is easy to forget that this is a public forum, accessible to anyone
        in the world. We in FamilySearch Support have been repeatedly reminded
        that the only PUBLIC information about the new FamilySearch rollout is
        the list of temples that have already gone live. When anyone asks us
        about the rollout schedule for their area, we are to refer them to
        their priesthood leaders.

        I can think of three good reasons for keeping the rollout schedule
        confidential:

        1. This recognizes the vital role of priesthood leadership in family
        history and points people to their local leaders and local resources,
        especially to their family history consultants.

        2. There are many things that can happen to delay a scheduled rollout.
        It is best not to drum up too much excitement when so much
        uncertainty is involved.

        3. The work of salvation for the dead has very real enemies, on earth
        and in hell. Should we publish our battle plan to them?

        Tracy Hall Jr
        Provo Canyon, Utah
        hthalljr'gmail'com
      • David Wardell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
          At this stage the information is far from confidential-Salt Lake will start
          sending periodic notifications directly to a fairly large number individual
          consultants in a few days, in each area where a roll-out is planned. It's
          hard to visualize much confidentiality no matter how one tries under such
          circumstances.

          Also, the idea that local leaders are somehow adequately informed about
          these events, or understand how to share the information, simply isn't
          accurate. I could go on at some length about why the information plan for
          these rollouts could use some improving, but I doubt the exercise would be
          helpful on this list. The other factor to consider, however, is that if we
          don't point out why policies and procedures don't work very well (as opposed
          to principles and doctrines), then procedures can't improve.

          All the best,

          David Wardell

          McLean Virginia FHC

          > I received the email this AM that the Portland Oregon Temple is now
          in the rollout window. One slight change from what has previously been
          stated here is that rather than 90 days, it is "in about four months".

          > Gary Templeman, Director
          > Corvallis Oregon FHC

          It is easy to forget that this is a public forum, accessible to anyone
          in the world. We in FamilySearch Support have been repeatedly reminded
          that the only PUBLIC information about the new FamilySearch rollout is
          the list of temples that have already gone live. When anyone asks us
          about the rollout schedule for their area, we are to refer them to
          their priesthood leaders.

          I can think of three good reasons for keeping the rollout schedule
          confidential:

          1. This recognizes the vital role of priesthood leadership in family
          history and points people to their local leaders and local resources,
          especially to their family history consultants.

          2. There are many things that can happen to delay a scheduled rollout.
          It is best not to drum up too much excitement when so much
          uncertainty is involved.

          3. The work of salvation for the dead has very real enemies, on earth
          and in hell. Should we publish our battle plan to them?

          Tracy Hall Jr
          Provo Canyon, Utah
          hthalljr'gmail'com

        • ancestryinsider
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
            Elder/Sister Hall,

            Thank you for your obedience. Don't ever change! As a full-time
            missionary, you are expected to live by many rules that do not apply
            to everyone in the Church. The NFS notification messages shared here
            have instructions and rules of their own. These apply to the
            consultants and priesthood leaders to which they are addressed. If
            the Church wanted that information kept secret, the message would so
            instruct.

            I, myself, publish a blog containing all the publicly-released
            NFS rollout information. The Church is well aware of it and--I think--
            know that I would remove it in a heart-beat if asked. They have not
            instructed me to do so. The same is true for several other members of
            this forum.

            I hope as you see these messages shared, you can feel the joy and
            EXCITEMENT contained therein!!! THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS! I tell you, I
            feel it so deeply that I think the very stones would cry out if they
            were to hold their peace! (See Luke 19:40)

            Links for this post:

            http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/
            2007/07/temple-districts-using-new-familysearch.html
            (http://tinyurl.com/22nzyx)

            http://scriptures.lds.org/en/luke/19

            http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dghmcg8f_2ghwdtmfz&hl=en

            http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?
            msa=0&msid=117993081669345064182.00043eae4063e16fb349f
            (http://tinyurl.com/29s594)

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "H. Tracy Hall, Jr." <hthalljr@...>
            wrote:
            > ...We in FamilySearch Support have been
            > repeatedly reminded
            > that the only PUBLIC information about
            > the new FamilySearch rollout is
            > the list of temples that have already gone live. When anyone asks us
            > about the rollout schedule for their area, we are to refer them to
            > their priesthood leaders.
            >
            > I can think of three good reasons for keeping the rollout schedule
            > confidential...
          • Gary Templeman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
              > Thank you for your obedience. Don't ever change! As a full-time
              > missionary, you are expected to live by many rules that do not apply
              > to everyone in the Church. The NFS notification messages shared here
              > have instructions and rules of their own. These apply to the
              > consultants and priesthood leaders to which they are addressed. If
              > the Church wanted that information kept secret, the message would so
              > instruct.

              In addition, the information packet sent with the letter states the
              following:

              Encourage members and family history consultants to take all existing
              TempleReady

              disks to the temple for processing and obtain their temple name cards before
              the new

              FamilySearch becomes available. FamilySearch Support will notify you by
              e-mail of your

              release date for the new FamilySearch. No new TempleReady disks should be
              created

              for use in temples that have begun using the new system.

              Of course, it is very difficult to encourage *members* to be prepared for a
              change without telling them a change is pending. The simple fact that the
              general membership is included in the above instructions indicates that at
              least that portion of the information is not confidential. If I did happen
              to learn the actual go-live date before an official notification, that I
              should and would keep confidential. There are hundreds if not thousands of
              priesthood leaders and consultants who would receive the notice in any
              particular temple district. They all need to start working with the general
              membership under their stewardship, so to expect a high level of
              confidentiality to be maintained at that point is silly.

              Gary
            • Russell Hltn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
                This is the first I've heard of the information being restricted once
                a go-live date has been announced.

                Certainly the sequence and expected announcement dates have been
                confidential and have been very closely guarded. But I've never heard
                of anyone wanting to have the general membership held in the dark once
                the consultants have been informed.