Re: nFS - Adding Sources etc.

  • jimgreene22
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2008
      In my presentation on new FamilySearch at the BYU Computerized
      Genealogy Conference in March 2008, there were a number of questions
      on notes and sources that I responded to. It appears that I have left
      the impression that we should not enter notes and sources at all. I
      would like to correct that notion. Entering notes and sources will be
      beneficial to all, at any time. While it is true that there will be
      improved ways of doing this in the future, it is always good to
      capture this information and share it with others. Entering it via
      GEDCOM could case duplication, that method of entry should be done
      cautiously and with discretion. The benefit of having them available
      and shared with everyone is great, hopefully greater than any
      inconvenience you would have in entering them manually, or
      reformatting them in the future.
      No data will be removed or lost, we go to great lengths to make sure
      of that, at all times.

      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Tim Cross <timothygcross@...> wrote:

      > Notes and sources are all preserved in the new FamilySearch.
      What was communicated at BYU was to not use GEDCOM as a vehicle to
      import your notes.  Importing GEDCOMs, in
      many cases, causes significant duplication.

      > Please continue to document your notes and sources.
      >
      > Tim Cross

      Behalf Of
      > Tom Kemp
      > Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:23 PM
      > To: FHCNET@yahoogroups. com
      > Subject: Re: [FHCNET] nFS - Adding Sources etc.
      >
      > We were told at the BYU Conference (March) not to enter the source
      > info - since that feature will be changed and the data removed.
      >
      > Does anyone know if that is still the case?
      > As advised - I immediately stopped entering notes - and waiting for
      > the final/permanent template for adding notes when that feature
      > becomes permanent.
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM, wejsdl wejsdl@yahoo.
      > <mailto:wejsdl% 40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
      > > I have been a silent member of this group for months just watching,
      > > reading and learning from all of you. Now that our temple district
      > > (Washington) has been notified that we will go live in the near
      > > future, I registered at the nFS web site.
      > >
      > > Last evening for the first time I was able to sign in and start
      > > working on my pedigree. WOW! I was SO frustrated that I wanted to
      > > quit, but SO excited that I stayed up until 1 a.m. adding notes and
      > > sources, combining, disputing and having a ball and I've still only
      > > gotten as far as my paternal grandfather and his
      family...haven' t even