Re: [FHCNET] nFS - Adding Sources etc.

  • Tom Kemp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15 6:22 PM
      We were told at the BYU Conference (March) not to enter the source
      info - since that feature will be changed and the data removed.

      Does anyone know if that is still the case?
      As advised - I immediately stopped entering notes - and waiting for
      the final/permanent template for adding notes when that feature
      becomes permanent.

      Tom

      On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM, wejsdl <wejsdl@...> wrote:
      > I have been a silent member of this group for months just watching,
      > reading and learning from all of you. Now that our temple district
      > (Washington) has been notified that we will go live in the near
      > future, I registered at the nFS web site.
      >
      > Last evening for the first time I was able to sign in and start
      > working on my pedigree. WOW! I was SO frustrated that I wanted to
      > quit, but SO excited that I stayed up until 1 a.m. adding notes and
      > sources, combining, disputing and having a ball and I've still only
      > gotten as far as my paternal grandfather and his family...haven't even
      > started on my maternal side!
      >
      > Thanks to all of you for your comments, insights and knowledge as it
      > has helped me understand the program better and able to move thru
      > things faster as I worked on my line. Your are a wonderful source of
      > information and help...thanks SO much to each of you who have
      > contributed to this group.
      >
      > Eileen

    • Nora Nell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15 7:37 PM
        Yikes! Now I am confused. I thought we were to put things in the notes,
        not the sources, since we that will be removed.

        Could someone who REALLY knows clarify this for us?

        Thanks

        Nora Nell in Washington State

        _____

        On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM, wejsdl <wejsdl@yahoo.
        <mailto:wejsdl%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
        > I have been a silent member of this group for months just watching,
        > reading and learning from all of you. Now that our temple district
        > (Washington) has been notified that we will go live in the near
        > future, I registered at the nFS web site.
        >
        > Last evening for the first time I was able to sign in and start
        > working on my pedigree. WOW! I was SO frustrated that I wanted to
        > quit, but SO excited that I stayed up until 1 a.m. adding notes and
        > sources, combining, disputing and having a ball and I've still only
        > gotten as far as my paternal grandfather and his family...haven't even
        > started on my maternal side!
        >
        > Thanks to all of you for your comments, insights and knowledge as it
        > has helped me understand the program better and able to move thru
        > things faster as I worked on my line. Your are a wonderful source of
        > information and help...thanks SO much to each of you who have
        > contributed to this group.
        >
        > Eileen

      • Tim Cross
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16 2:40 PM
          Notes and sources are all preserved in the new FamilySearch.  What was communicated at BYU was to not use GEDCOM as a vehicle to import your notes.  Importing GEDCOMs, in many cases, causes significant duplication.

          Please continue to document your notes and sources.

          Tim Cross

          We were told at the BYU Conference (March) not to enter the source
          info - since that feature will be changed and the data removed.

          Does anyone know if that is still the case?
          As advised - I immediately stopped entering notes - and waiting for
          the final/permanent template for adding notes when that feature
          becomes permanent.

          Tom

          On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM, wejsdl <wejsdl@yahoo.
          <mailto:wejsdl% 40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
          > I have been a silent member of this group for months just watching,
          > reading and learning from all of you. Now that our temple district
          > (Washington) has been notified that we will go live in the near
          > future, I registered at the nFS web site.
          >
          > Last evening for the first time I was able to sign in and start
          > working on my pedigree. WOW! I was SO frustrated that I wanted to
          > quit, but SO excited that I stayed up until 1 a.m. adding notes and
          > sources, combining, disputing and having a ball and I've still only
          > gotten as far as my paternal grandfather and his family...haven' t even
          > started on my maternal side!
          >
          > Thanks to all of you for your comments, insights and knowledge as it
          > has helped me understand the program better and able to move thru
          > things faster as I worked on my line. Your are a wonderful source of
          > information and help...thanks SO much to each of you who have
          > contributed to this group.
          >
          > Eileen

        • jimgreene22
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18 8:21 AM
            In my presentation on new FamilySearch at the BYU Computerized
            Genealogy Conference in March 2008, there were a number of questions
            on notes and sources that I responded to. It appears that I have left
            the impression that we should not enter notes and sources at all. I
            would like to correct that notion. Entering notes and sources will be
            beneficial to all, at any time. While it is true that there will be
            improved ways of doing this in the future, it is always good to
            capture this information and share it with others. Entering it via
            GEDCOM could case duplication, that method of entry should be done
            cautiously and with discretion. The benefit of having them available
            and shared with everyone is great, hopefully greater than any
            inconvenience you would have in entering them manually, or
            reformatting them in the future.
            No data will be removed or lost, we go to great lengths to make sure
            of that, at all times.

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Tim Cross <timothygcross@...> wrote:

            > Notes and sources are all preserved in the new FamilySearch.
            What was communicated at BYU was to not use GEDCOM as a vehicle to
            import your notes.  Importing GEDCOMs, in
            many cases, causes significant duplication.

            > Please continue to document your notes and sources.
            >
            > Tim Cross

            Behalf Of