NFS: Living person showing as dead but is still very much alive.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      I was training my ward's elders quorum president
      tonight, he managed to find a name and clear it.

      In looking for more, there was not much on his lines
      in the system that could be found easily, we found
      this problem:

      The individual whose PID I'll give, is very much
      alive, she shows as dead and 'Ready' for temple work,
      even though the summary and details screen show
      'Living'. The 'Living' notation is correct, he said
      she's alive.

      The couple had a child who died a few years back and
      is in the system and the temple work apparently has
      been done or maybe 'not ready' having been under a
      year, I'm just slightly confused there.

      I also find no combined records, either by others or
      by the system admins. So what's to account for this
      then?

      Here's the PID: KN4F-V2P
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        This is an easy one to explain. Since it says "Living" in the death
        field it interprets that as a death detail. You will have to contact
        the contributor (sarahfriendsmith) and ask her to delete this field.
        Once it is deleted the person will appear in italics and only be
        visible to that person who entered the data. This will make her living
        once again and not ready for temple work.

        Miles Meyer

        On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
        > I was training my ward's elders quorum president
        > tonight, he managed to find a name and clear it.
        >
        > In looking for more, there was not much on his lines
        > in the system that could be found easily, we found
        > this problem:
        >
        > The individual whose PID I'll give, is very much
        > alive, she shows as dead and 'Ready' for temple work,
        > even though the summary and details screen show
        > 'Living'. The 'Living' notation is correct, he said
        > she's alive.
        >
        > The couple had a child who died a few years back and
        > is in the system and the temple work apparently has
        > been done or maybe 'not ready' having been under a
        > year, I'm just slightly confused there.
        >
        > I also find no combined records, either by others or
        > by the system admins. So what's to account for this
        > then?
        >
        > Here's the PID: KN4F-V2P

      • Tom Kemp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Simply write in to FS Support - give them the PID and details that the
          person is still living.
          I have corrected several of those. It takes a few days - but they will
          take care of it.

          Tom

          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
          > I was training my ward's elders quorum president
          > tonight, he managed to find a name and clear it.
          >
          > In looking for more, there was not much on his lines
          > in the system that could be found easily, we found
          > this problem:
          >
          > The individual whose PID I'll give, is very much
          > alive, she shows as dead and 'Ready' for temple work,
          > even though the summary and details screen show
          > 'Living'. The 'Living' notation is correct, he said
          > she's alive.
          >
          > The couple had a child who died a few years back and
          > is in the system and the temple work apparently has
          > been done or maybe 'not ready' having been under a
          > year, I'm just slightly confused there.
          >
          > I also find no combined records, either by others or
          > by the system admins. So what's to account for this
          > then?
          >
          > Here's the PID: KN4F-V2P

        • Gary Templeman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            I am sure you and most of the list know this, but IMO nFS (or even the
            original FamilySearch) is probably not the best place to be *finding*
            ancestors who need temple work. Of the sources of records incorporated into
            nFS, the majority consist mostly of people with already completed temple
            work (IGI). The remainder consists mostly of compiled records (Ancestral
            File, Pedigree Resource File) that are unverified and should never be
            submitted directly for work without some *real* research to confirm the
            information.

            Gary Templeman

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
              Agreed.

              In the end, that was an unusual situation, this
              appears to be the line of a family who may be
              essentially more recent converts. But he said there
              were some submissions, and we're going back in later
              to find them and see what was or wasn't done.

              I found that a good way to trap duplicates sometimes
              is to look at the temple ordinances for the
              individual. Clicking on the icon brings up the entire
              family group, and I've spotted duplicates just like
              that in many cases, and once I have combined the
              duplicates, I find the work done in nearly every case.

              Then I search for more duplicates using the combining
              process, and if all that is exhausted and I find a
              name that has not had ordinances, then it's ready for
              clearing. But even then it doesn't happen that often
              either, and finding even one name is a 'needle in the
              haystack' proposition.