Re: Recent Happenings in FH

  • Margie Beldin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2008
      Dear Group,
      Thanks so much for the recent postings. It is nice to know I am not alone but as Alan says, we need to do something about why we are feeling left out and our ward is not interested.
      I love genealogy and love teaching it. I am very active in my genealogy society but am avoiding teaching nFS to the society since it is a kind of teasing knowing they can't access it for another year (most society members are not LDS).
      I was also offered a calling last fall that I had to turn down because of some surgery. I am not sorry to say that I was glad to be able to turn it down because it was a calling I would have hated and I knew that nFS was coming and wanted to be able to work with my ward members. However, that close call to being released spurred me to get my act together and start generating interest again in family history. (You know how you are gung ho and then get discouraged, I was in the discouraged stage at that point!)
      I developed lessons to teach both my ward members during Sunday School and interested people at the FHC. I had some wonderful participation and interest. I felt like I was doing something more than waiting for nFS to get my ward interested.
      My ward leadership is not interested in promoting genealogy. Recently a new FHC was called in my ward. She has not done genealogy for years, knows nothing about internet genealogy and is fairly new in the ward so barely knows the members. She attended my first two classes and I haven't seen her since--I don't think she is inactive, but she hasn't even attended church in weeks.
      I did recently request a sister who is a good friend and loves genealogy. She has been in the branch the last few years with her husband's calling. Now released, I would love to have her helping in FH. She has attended all my classes and comes to FHC every Sunday so I can sign her on to work in nFS. I did suggest this to my bishopric counselor pointing out that the recently-called FHC hasn't been seen in weeks. He did acknowledge that she hasn't been there and appreciated my request for this other sister but she has been requested by another organization. That was several weeks ago and she hasn't been called to anything because our bishop is constantly out of town so probably hasn't had a chance to interview her.
      So I am soloing and trying not to get discouraged. I do have interested members and I can sign on to nFS so I will begin making appointments with my ward members to visit them in their homes and give them some one on one time working in nFS.
      I have had no time myself to play in it except to create classes, so I will start taking some time to use it to become more proficient myself.
      Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I get excited and gain many good ideas from all the suggestions and things you are doing. Even the commiserating that goes on on this list is helpful in that I know that I am not alone. Even when we are alone in our ward calling, it's nice to know that there are others out there we can still share with.
      Thanks
      Margie in Washington State, Home of the Columbia River Temple which will be getting nFS in a few months--YEAAAAAA!

    • DearMYRTLE
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2008
        You are not alone, kiddo. You've got us to provide support. That is why this
        list is so important, because often ward and stake leadership are focusing
        on other areas.

        [.] So I am soloing and trying not to get discouraged [.]
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 2008
          President Hinckley over 15 years ago quoted Elder
          Maxwell as saying that 'the easy things have all been
          accomplished {in the Church}, from here out, it's high
          adventure'.

          Later I'll dig up the actual quote.

          --- DearMYRTLE <MYRT@...> wrote:

          > You are not alone, kiddo. You've got us to provide
          > support. That is why this
          > list is so important, because often ward and stake
          > leadership are focusing
          > on other areas.

        • Joyce Conklin
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2008
            >"James W Anderson" wrote:

            >President Hinckley over 15 years ago quoted Elder
            >Maxwell as saying that 'the easy things have all been
            >accomplished {in the Church}, from here out, it's high
            >adventure'.

            >Later I'll dig up the actual quote.

            I couldn't wait!! Found it on lds.org/ -- article from The Friend (Janet
            Peterson, "Friend to Friend," /Friend/, Feb 1984, 6)
            The quote is:

            "All the easy things that the Church has had to do have been done, so
            you're going to live in a time of high adventure. You were brought to
            this earth because you can handle that time of adventure, and you will
            do well."