Contact info in NFS

  • Enoch or Marge
    Message 1 of 58 , May 6, 2008
      This is an appeal for help if you think my cause is just. In the current version of NFS if an individual adds or disputes information that person's contact information shows up as it should. However, if any of us claims an old temple or ancestral file submission our contact information is not made available. Yes, our file number changes to our preferred contact name and, yes, we are then able to make edits and deletions, but there is no contact information provided so it is still not possible for another researcher to coordinate research with us. I have found this very disappointing. At the present time, I have an ancestor ready for temple work because he is listed as a female. His work has already been done as a male, and the person who entered him has claimed his file, however only the name of the claimant shows. Clicking on that name gets me no where. I can dispute his claim but I cannot contact him. Apparently this is the current policy.
      After a few E-mails, I finally got an answer from Salt Lake that merely told me to send a suggestion for the enhancement to the program as feedback. I was also told, if enough people make the request, then the programmers would pay more attention to said request. So.... if you think, as I do, that the act of claiming a previous submission means a person wants to work with others to build a correct database and would welcome input, then please send a note to that effect as Feedback to the programmers in Salt Lake. Perhaps if enough of us indicate a desire to have our contact information made available it will indeed make a difference.
      Thanks so much,
      Margery Bell,
      Oakland Regional FHC

    • T. Mason
      Message 58 of 58 , May 14, 2008
        I received a very special response from FH support about wrong
        gender. It is most thoughtful and provides a reasonable insight.

        "The record for _______ showing the incorrect gender was submitted by
        more than one individual, including a submission for temple ordinance
        work. This ordinance work is invalid but in order to prevent anyone
        else from submitting the name with the wrong gender and duplicating
        the ordinance work, the incorrect record will remain in New
        FamilySearch. By adding a dispute to the record with the incorrect
        gender it indicates to others that the information is wrong. We hope
        this explanation will help you understand the reason the records with
        the incorrect gender will remain in New FamilySearch."

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "T. Mason" <tmason1@...> wrote:

        > Do not reserve it. Do not create a WORK-AROUND method to something
        in nFS that does not work?

        > If the nFS program does not work, then enter in a person with the
        > correct gender and carry on. BUT do nothing about the incorrect
        entry.

        > DO NOT reserve the name as a means to block anyone from doing
        needless work. When you reserve the person with the wrong gender, in
        effect you are certifying that the incorrect information is indeed
        accurate. Your innocent action will fill up the database with
        misinformation.

        > At the most, just "dispute" the incorrect gender entry and cite the
        source of the correct gender information.