Re: [FHCNET] nFS rollout

  • The Allens
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 23, 2008
      Sue,
      The nFS search engine probably isn't the worst one out there. I think
      the Ellis Island site is worse. It isn't like the search engine is broken
      and can be made perfect by finding the error in the programming . It is a
      matter of writing and tweaking.
      You can't just put something like PAFI in there, because, after all,
      PAFI is not a search engine in the classic sense of the word. John just
      wrote softtware to generate a hilligrillion individual searches taking into
      account the limitations of the IGI search engine. Incorporating something
      like that into the nFS software for every search isn't practical, as it
      would bog down the servers or else be unacceptably slow. That's what
      happened when Insight was first introduced. It threw those searches at the
      server all at once, so the server promptly got a headache and quit. John had
      to slow down the rate at which they were submitted.
      If writing a good search engine was all that easy, I should think it
      would have been done long ago, but there seems to be some trade-off between
      thoroughness and speed that is a tough nut to crack.
      Finally, I have long considered myself the leading realist ( pessimist?)
      in regards to how well the new program will work, but you are seriously
      challenging my position ;)
      Would you please send me the name that nFS couldn't find. I would be
      interested to know what the quirk is.
      Thanks,

      Dean Allen
      Maryland