PAF Future

  • gturn55
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      My link to the LDS Tech Forum Question & Answer site where they
      discuss the future of PAF did not work. I have copied the Question
      and answer from the site and pasted it below.

      Question
      Can you give an indication of when we might expect to see a new
      release of Personal Ancestral File and whether there are any plans to
      include Mac OS support?

      Answer
      Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is expected to be a viable product for
      the desktop genealogy market for many years to come. It is
      anticipated that many software developers will create upgrades and
      products that read and write to the new FamilySearch using the PAF
      Add-in software development kit (SDK) and the FamilySearch
      application programming interface (API) provided by the Church. There
      are currently no plans for the Church to release a new version of PAF
      or for the new FamilySearch online Web site to be able to import PAF
      files.

      FamilySearch API
      The Church is working on a new FamilySearch API that will be released
      in conjunction with the FamilySearch Affiliate Program. The
      FamilySearch API will also make it possible for software developers
      to read and write data in the new FamilySearch application using Web
      services. The FamilySearch API will make it possible to develop new
      FamilySearch-compatible products that run on Microsoft Windows, Apple
      Macintosh, Linux, and other platforms.

      FamilySearch Open-Source Desktop
      In the future the Church will announce the opening of a FamilySearch
      desktop project in order to work with "open source" developers on a
      desktop application that can read and write data in the new
      FamilySearch application using the FamilySearch API. This project
      will have a code base that can be portable for Microsoft Windows,
      Apple Macintosh, and Linux.

      FamilySearch Affiliate Program
      The Church is working toward a launch of the FamilySearch Affiliate
      Program. This program will accept applications from companies and
      developers who want to become FamilySearch affiliates. FamilySearch
      affiliate applicants may qualify for marketing and development
      support for new or upgraded applications that are to be made
      compatible with the new FamilySearch application.