Re: Completed

  • dmerrill1967
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
      Leslie

      We're in a non-nFS district and would be glad to do the work for him.
      Please reply offline to dmerrill@...

      As I understand nFS you could enter him as a new person, ignore the
      combining and submit him from there, then combine after the work is
      done. (A word-around)

      Dave

      > Is there a work around or is this poor man going to go through the
      eternities without his work being done? The only thing that I can
      think of is to have someone else in a non-nFS temple district do his
      work using temple ready. The problem is I don't know anyone in a non-
      nFS temple district who is related to this poor "completed" father.

      > Leslie Vaughn
    • Sue Maxwell
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
        Leslie, have you viewed the information from the "Family Group Sheet"
        view? You can see the detail of "completed" there. You may find what you
        need there.

        SueM

        Leslie Vaughn wrote:

        > Is there a work around or is this poor man going to go through the
        > eternities without his work being done? The only thing that I can
        > think of is to have someone else in a non-nFS temple district do his
        > work using temple ready. The problem is I don't know anyone in a
        > non-nFS temple district who is related to this poor "completed" father.
        >
        > Leslie Vaughn

      • Sue Barnsley
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
          Leslie,

          Check with your temple first and ask the recorder to check the master database and see if this person appears there as having his work done with dates

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
            Thank you for the suggestion.

            The family group sheet view shows blank space under the ordinance dates. Blank dates show in this view unless there is an actual date, even if in the individual temple ordinance screen "ready" "completed" "in progress" or "reserved" are in the field, so using this view only helps if there is an actual date complete

            Leslie

            Leslie Vaughn wrote:

            > Is there a work around or is this poor man going to go through the
            > eternities without his work being done? The only thing that I can
            > think of is to have someone else in a non-nFS temple district do his
            > work using temple ready. The problem is I don't know anyone in a
            > non-nFS temple district who is related to this poor "completed" father.
            >
            > Leslie Vaughn

          • Linda Stowe Miller
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
              Contact new FamilySearch Support, either using the feedback feature or by phone, to ask them to look into this more fully and advise you how to proceed.

              This would be better than a work-around.

              Linda Miller
              Vermont

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

                Leslie,

                Call FamilySearch Support (1-866-406-1830) again and tell them you
                don't think the missionary who took your call understood the problem.
                They can pull up your case and transfer you up-line to someone who
                can help you. Be patient with the Area Support Missionaries (some of
                us are just learning), but persistent. Stay with them or keep calling
                back until you get to someone who can solve the problem. :)

                Ileen

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

                  > I have contacted the help folks thru the feedback forum and I have
                  been told that nothing can be done about this. I am not quite sure the
                  folks who responded to me understood as the answers that I got were
                  not quite on the mark.

                  By typing "Resolving Problems with Ordinance Dates" into the Help
                  Center Search field, you will find a document that answers your
                  problem. It basically tells you to give feedback. At least the
                  problem has been reported.

                  Ileen
                • gturn55
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > I have read in the past on this list that in nFS the word completed
                    in the LDS ordinance fields is because someone uploaded a gedcom file
                    that had something/anything in that field. As the system only
                    recognizes official LDS ordinances from the IGI or membership
                    records, whatever was on the gedcom file does not import and
                    instead "completed" is put in that field. I assume that this is also
                    the case when something was imported to nFS from the PRF or AF with
                    something/anything in the fields.

                    > Now my problem, I have a family that shows on nFS and some of the
                    family members show LDS ordinance dates, but the father says
                    completed in his dates. I have checked for a duplicate father and
                    there is none. I checked the IIGI and he is not listed. So someone
                    must have input his name with a date that nFS doesn't recognize.

                    > I have contacted the help folks thru the feedback forum and I have
                    been told that nothing can be done about this. I am not quite sure
                    the folks who responded to me understood as the answers that I got
                    were not quite on the mark.

                    > Is there a work around or is this poor man going to go through the
                    eternities without his work being done? The only thing that I can
                    think of is to have someone else in a non-nFS temple district do his
                    work using temple ready. The problem is I don't know anyone in a non-
                    nFS temple district who is related to this poor "completed" father.

                    > Leslie Vaughn

                    Have you looked in "Combined Records", in there you can see all of
                    the submissions and if none are from the Temple you will know that
                    the actual Temple Ordinances are not in the folder. If you can find
                    the submission that contains the bad data you could uncombine that
                    submission then clear the name. That will be hard to do without
                    experimenting because those dates do not show in the Combined Records
                    screen. You could try Ancestral File or Pedigree Resource File
                    submissions, they are most likely to contain ordinance dates. You
                    can always recombine the records after you uncombine them.
                  • Leslie Vaughn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                      There were some combined records and I did as you suggested. Most of the records in the folder were from the temple file from when his children were sealed to him and his wife. So I uncombined the one record that was submitted by an individual and it worked. It did show that it was ready. So I reserved the names to be done. My big concern is that someone will combine the records before I can get the FOR to the temple and the work done.

                      Thanks for the suggestion.

                      Leslie

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Leslie, if you select the "ready" ordinance and tell nFS that you want
                        to do it, nFS will lock it up for you. If you have already printed the
                        FOR then no one else can select that ordinance to be done.

                        SueM

                        Leslie Vaughn wrote:

                        > There were some combined records and I did as you suggested. Most of
                        > the records in the folder were from the temple file from when his
                        > children were sealed to him and his wife. So I uncombined the one
                        > record that was submitted by an individual and it worked. It did show
                        > that it was ready. So I reserved the names to be done. My big concern
                        > is that someone will combine the records before I can get the FOR to
                        > the temple and the work done.
                        >
                        > Thanks for the suggestion.
                        >
                        > Leslie

                      • Sue Maxwell
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                          Leslie, if you select the "ready" ordinance and tell nFS that you want
                          to do it, nFS will lock it up for you. If you have already printed the
                          FOR then no one else can select that ordinance to be done. This isn't
                          like the old TempleReady where you had to race your floppy to the
                          temple. I'm glad you found the way to resolve it.

                          SueM

                          Leslie Vaughn wrote:

                          > There were some combined records and I did as you suggested. Most of
                          > the records in the folder were from the temple file from when his
                          > children were sealed to him and his wife. So I uncombined the one
                          > record that was submitted by an individual and it worked. It did show
                          > that it was ready. So I reserved the names to be done. My big concern
                          > is that someone will combine the records before I can get the FOR to
                          > the temple and the work done.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the suggestion.
                          >
                          > Leslie

                        • Leslie Vaughn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 7, 2008
                            Thanks

                            Leslie Vaughn wrote:

                            > There were some combined records and I did as you suggested. Most of
                            > the records in the folder were from the temple file from when his
                            > children were sealed to him and his wife. So I uncombined the one
                            > record that was submitted by an individual and it worked. It did show
                            > that it was ready. So I reserved the names to be done. My big concern
                            > is that someone will combine the records before I can get the FOR to
                            > the temple and the work done.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the suggestion.
                            >
                            > Leslie

                          • Terri J.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 7, 2008
                              This may not be entirely correct. At least. it is possible that someone can
                              combine the records AFTER a FOR has been printed because I think we have
                              done that to ourselves. At least, we had some names cleared and they were no
                              longer available after we found that they had been done after all and had
                              combined them with the completed work. Make sense? It was and is very
                              confusing to us as well!

                              -Terri J.

                              Checked by AVG.
                              11:12 AM
                            • Sue Maxwell
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 7, 2008
                                But the point is, if they do combine the record then the "completed"
                                notation reappears. But once the FOR is printed the work can still be done.

                                SueM

                                Terri J. wrote:
                                > This may not be entirely correct. At least. it is possible that someone can
                                > combine the records AFTER a FOR has been printed because I think we have
                                > done that to ourselves. At least, we had some names cleared and they were no
                                > longer available after we found that they had been done after all and had
                                > combined them with the completed work. Make sense? It was and is very
                                > confusing to us as well!
                                >
                                > -Terri J.

                              • Terri Jaskolka
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 7, 2008
                                  This I can't swear to as we didn't take the form to the temple to attempt to
                                  have cards printed out. But as the FOR was no longer available online to be
                                  printed out, we wondered if that meant the information would no longer be
                                  available on the temple end either. As I said, a bit confusing.

                                  -Terri J.

                                  On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Sue Maxwell <smaxwl@...> wrote:

                                  > But the point is, if they do combine the record then the "completed"
                                  > notation reappears. But once the FOR is printed the work can still be
                                  > done.
                                  >
                                  > SueM
                                  >
                                  > Terri J. wrote:
                                  > > This may not be entirely correct. At least. it is possible that someone
                                  > can
                                  > > combine the records AFTER a FOR has been printed because I think we have
                                  > > done that to ourselves. At least, we had some names cleared and they
                                  > were no
                                  > > longer available after we found that they had been done after all and
                                  > had
                                  > > combined them with the completed work. Make sense? It was and is very
                                  > > confusing to us as well!
                                  > >
                                  > > -Terri J.

                                • Russell Hltn
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 7, 2008
                                    On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Sue Maxwell <smaxwl@...> wrote:
                                    > But once the FOR is printed the work can still be done.

                                    Are you positive about that? The FOR is not the last step. The
                                    barcode doesn't contain everything. The temple still has to look at
                                    the database to print the cards. If it finds it's already done, it
                                    may refuse to print the cards.
                                  • Sue Maxwell
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 19, 2008
                                      This discussion was over a week ago, but, I thought that I would follow
                                      through with what I found out. I spoke with one of the programmers of
                                      nFS and he said that it works this way. Once the FOR has been printed,
                                      nFS has the ordinances "locked up". The temple does not check files or
                                      cards, they only print what the FOR has locked up.

                                      In the past, once you ran TempleReady, you could simply not take the
                                      disk to the temple. So, nothing actually went into the system until the
                                      temple ran your disk. With nFS, the FOR is the final step before the
                                      printing of cards. You have already told nFS that the ordinances are
                                      going to be done by you. That barcode just references the file that is
                                      already in the system.

                                      SueM

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 19, 2008
                                        There are two things that happen.

                                        1. When you reserve a name, it says 'Reserved' in the
                                        ordinance completion status summary for that name or
                                        in the other places where it may show ordinance
                                        status.

                                        2. When you actually print the FoR, the status
                                        changes to 'In progress'. That shows until an
                                        ordinance is done and a date is entered into the
                                        system by the temple.

                                        One other matter that has come up. I cleared some the
                                        other night that were done in 1991 but at that time
                                        they had not found the marriage date to do the
                                        sealing. They have a year now but not an actual date.
                                        Now I found I could do the sealings and when the
                                        cards printed out I saw a date for baptism and
                                        endowment, but it showed 'Completed' for confirmation
                                        and initiatory. I thought that a temple-provided date
                                        would override 'completed' at some point. Have I
                                        found a tarantula sized system bug?

                                        --- Sue Maxwell <smaxwl@...> wrote:

                                        > This discussion was over a week ago, but, I thought
                                        > that I would follow
                                        > through with what I found out. I spoke with one of
                                        > the programmers of
                                        > nFS and he said that it works this way. Once the FOR
                                        > has been printed,
                                        > nFS has the ordinances "locked up". The temple does
                                        > not check files or
                                        > cards, they only print what the FOR has locked up.
                                        >
                                        > In the past, once you ran TempleReady, you could
                                        > simply not take the
                                        > disk to the temple. So, nothing actually went into
                                        > the system until the
                                        > temple ran your disk. With nFS, the FOR is the final
                                        > step before the
                                        > printing of cards. You have already told nFS that
                                        > the ordinances are
                                        > going to be done by you. That barcode just
                                        > references the file that is
                                        > already in the system.
                                        >
                                        > SueM
                                        >

                                        > Russell Hltn wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Sue Maxwell
                                        > <smaxwl@...
                                        > > <mailto:smaxwl%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
                                        > > > But once the FOR is printed the work can still
                                        > be done.
                                        > >
                                        > > Are you positive about that? The FOR is not the
                                        > last step. The
                                        > > barcode doesn't contain everything. The temple
                                        > still has to look at
                                        > > the database to print the cards. If it finds it's
                                        > already done, it
                                        > > may refuse to print the cards.
                                        > >
                                        > > _

                                        > removed]

                                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                      • Sue Maxwell
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 19, 2008
                                          Change your view to "family group sheet" and look at the detail. You
                                          will find the detail of each ordinance listed there and usually the
                                          dates will show.

                                          James W Anderson wrote:

                                          > There are two things that happen.
                                          >
                                          > 1. When you reserve a name, it says 'Reserved' in the
                                          > ordinance completion status summary for that name or
                                          > in the other places where it may show ordinance
                                          > status.
                                          >
                                          > 2. When you actually print the FoR, the status
                                          > changes to 'In progress'. That shows until an
                                          > ordinance is done and a date is entered into the
                                          > system by the temple.
                                          >
                                          > One other matter that has come up. I cleared some the
                                          > other night that were done in 1991 but at that time
                                          > they had not found the marriage date to do the
                                          > sealing. They have a year now but not an actual date.
                                          > Now I found I could do the sealings and when the
                                          > cards printed out I saw a date for baptism and
                                          > endowment, but it showed 'Completed' for confirmation
                                          > and initiatory. I thought that a temple-provided date
                                          > would override 'completed' at some point. Have I
                                          > found a tarantula sized system bug?
                                          >
                                          > .

                                        • Leslie Vaughn
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 19, 2008
                                            I have seen "completed" in the initiatory and the confirmation date fields but the baptism, endowment and sealing dates are there. I know that the endowment could not have been done without the prior two ordinances, so I am not very concerned. I have experienced several times that the computer system didn't catch the information off the cards and some ordinances that I know were done say ready. I fish through all my ordinance cards that I have processed over the past 8 years and take the card with the stamped date in the missing field to the temple and they input the date. In the case of the "completed" initiatory and confirmation dates, I know that in the old IGI not every date got transferred over when everything became computerized, I suspect that this is the situation here.

                                            As confirmation and initiatory dates have never shown up on the IGI or the IIGI we have never before worried about it. I worry when I see completed with no date and there is NOTHING on the IGI for that person. That leads me to believe that "completed" got input when an uploaded file from the AF or PRF had something in the ordinance field but the system couldn't match it.

                                            Leslie

                                            --- Sue Maxwell <smaxwl@...> wrote:

                                            > This discussion was over a week ago, but, I thought
                                            > that I would follow
                                            > through with what I found out. I spoke with one of
                                            > the programmers of
                                            > nFS and he said that it works this way. Once the FOR
                                            > has been printed,
                                            > nFS has the ordinances "locked up". The temple does
                                            > not check files or
                                            > cards, they only print what the FOR has locked up.
                                            >
                                            > In the past, once you ran TempleReady, you could
                                            > simply not take the
                                            > disk to the temple. So, nothing actually went into
                                            > the system until the
                                            > temple ran your disk. With nFS, the FOR is the final
                                            > step before the
                                            > printing of cards. You have already told nFS that
                                            > the ordinances are
                                            > going to be done by you. That barcode just
                                            > references the file that is
                                            > already in the system.
                                            >
                                            > SueM
                                            >

                                            > Russell Hltn wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Sue Maxwell
                                            > <smaxwl@...
                                            > > <mailto:smaxwl%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
                                            > > > But once the FOR is printed the work can still
                                            > be done.
                                            > >
                                            > > Are you positive about that? The FOR is not the
                                            > last step. The
                                            > > barcode doesn't contain everything. The temple
                                            > still has to look at
                                            > > the database to print the cards. If it finds it's
                                            > already done, it
                                            > > may refuse to print the cards.
                                            > >
                                            > > _

                                            > removed]

                                          • daniel2501au
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 19, 2008
                                              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
                                              > One other matter that has come up. I cleared some the
                                              > other night that were done in 1991 but at that time
                                              > they had not found the marriage date to do the
                                              > sealing. They have a year now but not an actual date.
                                              > Now I found I could do the sealings and when the
                                              > cards printed out I saw a date for baptism and
                                              > endowment, but it showed 'Completed' for confirmation
                                              > and initiatory. I thought that a temple-provided date
                                              > would override 'completed' at some point. Have I
                                              > found a tarantula sized system bug?

                                              No, you haven't found a massive bug. The date of Confirmation and
                                              Initiatory are not necessary to be recorded to ensure that the saving
                                              ordinances are complete. They still need to be done correctly, along
                                              with the priesthood ordination for deceased brethren which isn't
                                              recorded at all. The only ordinance dates that are recorded are
                                              Baptism, Endowment, Sealing to Parents, and Sealing to Spouse, and
                                              that's all that is necessary.
                                            • Sue Barnsley
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 19 3:41 PM
                                                But what happens if it does come from the PRF and you put Submitted in that field, will it read it as being Done.

                                                If you put the word DONE in PAF it shows as the ordinances being completed without dates.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 19 4:04 PM
                                                  Sue, this is the best I could find so far--hope it helps some:

                                                  *Document ID: 102824*

                                                  *new FamilySearch: Ordinances are showing only as "Completed"*

                                                  *Problem*

                                                  **

                                                  The ordinances show as "Completed" but have no other information.
                                                  How can I find out when and where the ordinances were performed?

                                                  *Resolution*

                                                  **

                                                  If the ordinances show as "Completed," then the new FamilySearch does
                                                  not have any other information, just that the ordinances have already
                                                  been performed.

                                                  You may want to try one more thing: Look through the combined records of
                                                  an individual to see if there are any records from either Ancestral File
                                                  or Pedigree Resource File. If there are, uncombine these records, and
                                                  then check to see if the ordinances can be performed.

                                                  Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource File records that show temple
                                                  ordinances as "Completed" also show as "Completed" in the new
                                                  FamilySearch. This is to prevent ordinances from being duplicated.