Book Cataloging

  • annmarie_bridges
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 8:51 AM
      We are also trying to find a solution to cataloging our media. I did
      a Google search and came up with this site which lists a lot of
      available cataloging systems. Currently, I am looking at the Book
      Librarian Plus 4.0. I wanted to know if this system would allow
      unlimited keyword-subject searches because most of our material will
      be searched by location and/or surname. I e-mailed the developer and
      asked him if this was an option. He e-mailed me back and asssured me
      that keyword entries and searches were only as limited as we wanted
      them to be. It is free to download, $35.00 to buy. Another feature
      that I like is that the program can be installed on a network server
      to allow up to 5-10 people to use the program at the same time. If
      any of you get a chance to try it out before I do, I would love to
      here your assessment of the program.
    • Lynda Garn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26 6:40 AM
        Would this software work to catalog films and fiche as well? Our center is having a hard time finding a software that will let us do a search for location and/or surname.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26 11:57 AM
          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Garn" <ljgarn@...> wrote:

          > Would this software work to catalog films and fiche as well? Our
          center is having a hard time finding a software that will let us do a
          search for location and/or surname.

          In one Oregon FHC we created a catalog of films, fiche, and books
          using the BookCat program - it worked well, but took many months of
          volunteer entry work to get it completed (1000+ films, 1500+ books,
          20,000+ fiche). It continues to require effort to keep the film/fiche
          catalogs synchronized with the church supplied IM/Order database.

          In my most recent assignment I now use the church supplied IM/Order
          program for FHCs to provide my film/fiche catalog reports - keywrods,
          locality, surnames.

          Here's how we do it - In the item detail window for each item order
          we have set this standard:

          Item Description - used for keywords found in the online FHLCatalog
          description of the item, one per line.
          Locality - record two highest location levels, one pair per line, as
          shown on the FHLCatalog.
          Surname - record desired surnames, one per line, as shown in the
          FHLCatalog.

          Now the IM program Inventory reporting feature can be used to print
          reports selected by any one of the above catageories.

          One final step, each report is saved in the Adobe reader PDF using
          CutePDF Writer. These electronic reports are accessible from each
          desktop and can be readily searched using Adobe Reader tools or read
          page by page, patron's choice - saves lots of paper and time, plus
          new versions can be produced as often as one requires, also patrons
          may take an electronic copy home if they wish - don't have to
          maintain two systems for the film and fiche catalogs or reports.

          Unfortunately the books can't be easily recorded in the IM Order
          database (I have tried), so we maintain them in the BookCat program
          and produce reports in the electronic PDF files for each desktop as
          well.

          Wayne Horscroft
          Director - Hillsboro Oregon FHC
        • Russell Hltn
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26 12:07 PM
            On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Lynda Garn <ljgarn@...> wrote:
            > Would this software work to catalog films and fiche as well? Our center is having a hard time finding a software that will let us do a search for location and/or surname.

            I believe that Inventory Manager is required to order the films, so I
            think you're best off if you leave it in IM. As long as you put the
            location and/or surname in the film description, then you should be
            able to search for that.
          • Russell Hltn
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26 12:26 PM
              Another approach is to use Inventory Viewer from the fhctech website.
              It can present the IM database in a web page and do searches on the
              description. The link to the film description in the FHL catalog is
              broken, but it works fine otherwise. That would save you the step of
              creating the IM reports.

              On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Wayne Horscroft <orkiwi@...> wrote:
              > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Garn" <ljgarn@...> wrote:
              >
              > Now the IM program Inventory reporting feature can be used to print
              > reports selected by any one of the above catageories.
              >
              > One final step, each report is saved in the Adobe reader PDF using
              > CutePDF Writer. These electronic reports are accessible from each
              > desktop and can be readily searched using Adobe Reader tools or read
              > page by page, patron's choice - saves lots of paper and time, plus
              > new versions can be produced as often as one requires, also patrons
              > may take an electronic copy home if they wish - don't have to
              > maintain two systems for the film and fiche catalogs or reports.

            • Gary Templeman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 27 8:24 AM
                IM has been *strongly* recommended, but I think some FHCs still phone in
                their orders and do not use IM.

                Gary Templeman