Place Names approach

  • Wayne Horscroft
    Message 1 of 122 , Jan 27, 2008
      Hi folks,

      In my Personal Family History database (Roots Magic) I have adopted a
      full disclosure approach to the recorded place names. The notes
      portion is used extensively to record known changes and history about
      a place. I generally stay with the most current, recognizable name
      for a location - I remain consist to this approach in my PFHdb.

      Basically, I consider I have 3 levels of place name plus a 4th level
      for the country. This seems to be the most used pattern including
      the Standard Finder results in Family Search Labs. Therefore, when
      deciding upon those three levels, I select them so the readers of my
      Personal Family History database (RootsMagic), no matter where they
      live in the world, will have sufficient data to accurately locate the
      place name. Fortunately, my PFHdb RM places table allows the
      addition of comments relating to the place, plus latitude, longitude
      (common reference regardless of the changing name for a location). A
      good URL - www.geonames.org - I use it to check out place names, give
      it a try.

      Another point to consider, there are often different reference names
      for the 3 levels of a location depending on the country of the
      location.

      For instance, in the United States, we consider level one is
      generally a village/town/community/city; level two, the county; level
      three, the state/ level four, the country.

      While in New Zealand, level one is a community/town/city; level two
      is a local government district; level three is geo-political region;
      level four, the country.

      France seems to use level one, community/village/town/city; level
      two, geo-political department; level three, region; level four, the
      country.

      Hmmm, food for thought, remember those who may review/read your
      records and have to guess at what you meant.

      Wayne Horscroft
      Beaverton, Oregon and New Zealand
    • Deanne Moore
      Message 122 of 122 , Oct 18, 2013
        Lise, I like your response! I want to know all the good ideas everyone has to share, too.
        About a month ago Family History Center Support called me and set up an appointment time
        to go through about an hour of training for directors. Up to that point everything I knew
        was self taught or learned from groups like this one. It was enlightening to know there was help
        that I wasn't even aware of.
        So I've been thinking this week that I need to call FamilySearch back and click on the option for
        Family History Consultants. Maybe they have a little bit of training there, too? I know they will at least
        walk the consultant through the registration process and adding email options for the newsletters. Has
        anyone else tried this? Is this something our Consultants should do? I know there are FamilySearch
        missionaries especially trained that would love to help, but I haven't taken the time to call, yet.....

        Deanne