Elder Melvin J. Ballard, Re: [FHCNET] We Will Still Need Family History Centers

  • Chris Tinney
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2008
      I note the following, which may contain additional
      information, from: Family History - Genealogy
      Articles in the Ensign and New Era
      Official Publications of The Church of Jesus Christ
      of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)
      http://www.academic-genealogy.com/ensignfamilyhistorygenealogy.htm
      . . .
      May 80 Eternal Links That Bind, . . .
      Elder Melvin J. Ballard testified that
      "the spirit and influence of
      your dead will guide those who are
      interested in finding those records.
      If there is anywhere on the earth
      anything concerning them, you will
      find it" (Bryant S. Hinckley,
      Sermons and Missionary Services
      of Melvin Joseph Ballard,
      Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company,
      1949, p. 230; italics added). . . . , pg. 40

      A note of further interest, from: M. Russell Ballard,
      “Margaret McNeil Ballard’s Legacy of Faith,”
      Ensign, Jul 1989, 16
      http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=36c327cd3f37b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
      . . . Calling to remembrance her willingness
      to bear children, she begged for help and
      asked to know her standing before God.

      “A voice spoke plainly to her, saying,
      ‘Be of good cheer. Your life is acceptable,
      and you will bear a son who will become
      an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.’ ”
      (Sketches from the Life of Margaret
      McNeil Ballard, p. 3.) Margaret recovered
      and bore a healthy son, Melvin Joseph,
      whom she gave to the work of the Lord.
      Although Margaret recorded this experience,
      she never revealed it. Family members
      discovered it in her personal papers
      after her death. In 1919, Melvin J. Ballard
      was called to the Quorum of the Twelve
      Apostles—a year after his mother died.
      . . .

      Furthermore, I note: The Three Degrees of Glory,
      A discourse by Melvin J. Ballard.
      http://www.shields-research.org/General/LDS_Leaders/Q12/Ballard_Melvin_J/Ballard_Melvin_J.htm
      On the bottom of page 34 of this discourse,
      "I lost a son six years of age and I saw him
      a man in the spirit world after his death, and
      I saw how he had exercised his own freedom
      of choice and would obtain of his own will
      and volition a companionship, and in due time
      to him and all those who are worthy of it,
      shall come all of the blessings and sealing
      privileges of the House of the Lord."

      He makes a direct connection between "that
      we will make our calling and election sure,
      [and]
      that at the last day our records will be clear"

      Witnesses, [Ballard, Melvin J.]
      http://james.jlcarroll.net/LDS/evidence/witnesses/Ballard_Melvin_J.html
      "As I approached He smiled, called my name,
      and stretched out His hands toward me. If I
      live to be a million years old I shall never
      forget that smile. He put His arms around
      me and kissed me, as He took me into His
      bosom, and He blessed me until my whole
      being was thrilled. As He finished I fell at
      His feet, and there saw the marks of the nails;
      and as I kissed them, with deep joy swelling
      through my whole being, I felt that I was in
      heaven indeed. . . ."

      In my mind, all documented evidence contradicts
      the validity of the undocumented item, as the
      undocumented item essentially suggests
      Melvin J. Ballard was not fully faithful in his
      duties and responsibilities as an Apostle of
      the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. NOT!

      Respectfully yours,

      Tom Tinney, Sr.
      Who's Who in America,
      Millennium Edition [54th] through 2004
      Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, [both editions]
      Family Genealogy & History Internet Education Directory
      http://www.academic-genealogy.com/

      RE: From Jill -
      Well folks, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that the
      source I checked at BYU is the quote we have been looking for. The bad news
      is that to the surprise of the librarian and myself, there was absolutely no
      indication of where this typed sheet of paper came from! That is unusual for
      BYU's special collections. They have no idea if this came from a journal or
      diary, who donated the typed sheet, who typed the information, etc. There
      were only a few slight changes from what was posted earlier by Sister Allen.
      Here is what I found:
      Experience Related to Myra Peterson by the Wife of Melvin J. Ballard

      Apostle Melvin J. Ballard and his wife were great sweethearts
      through-out their life. Before the death of this great apostle he bore testimony
      of having been in the presence of Jesus Christ.

      Sister Ballard had difficulty reconciling herself to the loss of
      her husband. She grieved for him night and day and could not eat, sleep, or do
      her work properly. One night her husband appeared to her in a dream or a
      vision and told her that she must stop grieving for him and spend her time
      doing research and temple work for their ancestors. He then made this
      revealing statement. "This work is so important to our perfection that I
      have all but lost my salvation because I neglected to do all that I should
      have done in this great work."