Re: [FHCNET] nFS

  • Len Ingermanson
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      We were told that updates will be released on a quarterly basis. This info
      was given to us (Family and Church History Mission) in one of our
      devotionals. The head engineer over the nFS program said that in about two
      years the program will have a completely different look than it has today.
      But it will evolve over that time. Another source has told me that updates
      will continue to occur for up to five years.
      As far as the roll out is concerned, it will be complete worldwide by the
      end of this year, with the Wasatch area of Utah being last. This
      information was given by Brother Verckler, the Director of the Family
      HIstory Department. This was presented in a Family History Business
      meeting. He showed a couple of slides that displayed the worldwide roll out
      of the program, no specific dates or temple districts. But it showed that
      the roll out would be complete by the end of 2008. The program is already
      being rolled out to various parts of the world and will continue at a rapid
      rate. With this information, all directors should register and become
      familiar with the program as soon as possible. You should complete the
      training module that is displayed when you first register. We are beginning
      to start a big push to get all the missionaries who work in the Family
      History Library up to speed so we will be ready to help patrons when the
      program is released in the Salt Lake area. Bottom line, the program is
      coming and coming soon.
      Len Ingermanson

      On Jan 4, 2008 2:34 PM, family55@... <family55@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know when the next version of the nFS will be put out. It
      > seems as if there are alot of bugs to be worked out and I"m not the kind
      > of person that likes to start one way then have to learn it another way
      > to correct what I've already done. I sure hope Seattle Temple will be
      > the next to last one to go the new way.
      > I'm a director in the Seattle District and have just been reading all
      > the problems that everyone is having and I'm actually afraid of going in
      > and messing up my line worse than it already is especially with this new
      > reserve name problem.
      > I'd really like to know what is causing all the problems? Is it that
      > people are putting in to big of a gedcom, or combining names, or just
      > what.
      > A simple straight forward answer would be best. I use my computer
      > constantly but a programmer or beta tester I'm not.
      > Thanks Smiles, Phyllis Galloway, Williams Lake, BC

    • Paul Walworth
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 14, 2011
        I find getting use to the KD's and how and where to find them in time to be of
        service to a active call. It is much nicer to be able to look as things come to
        you either by searching or skyping your team and getting added help to be of
        service to the partons and helping them in having a good experience help with
        this work.

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:
        > I agree I am working as a CSM and one of the people on my shift was telling me

        > she didn't think she needed a program either. That is until I told her about
        > all the uses they do have and the benefits they provide. So she is having
        >after
        >
        > thoughts about whether she needs a software program.

        I am most grateful to have been allowed to serve as a FSSM, (a FamilySearch
        Support Missionary) which Paul Walworth refers to as a CSM. One of the most
        important things which we learned was our answers should cite from and refer to
        information in the knowledge documents and that we should attach KDs (Knowledge
        Documents). When we follow this counsel, we then speak for the FH department.
        When missionaries do not refer to and quote KD information, their opinions are
        often misleading, incorrect and they are not following their training.

        The topic in this response would best be answered by citing KD:105366 "Using the
        new FamilySearch instead of personal genealogy software on your own computer."
        It explains some advantages to using nFS BUT then it spells out in some detail a
        list of disadvantages when member's use only nFS.

        Bottom line found in the Knowledge Document - members should use personal
        software programs such as PAF. That KD also links to a citation about the
        purpose of the new.FamilySearch program.

        Terry Mason
        Clermont, FL