RE: [FHCNET]

  • Terry & Sharon Turner
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1 12:04 AM
      Living people, you and I, have their (our) records in nFS! But I cannot see
      how nFS can replace PAF, as my view of nFS is that it is an ordinance based
      system. Also, only your ward clerk can change your information - bit nerve
      wracking if you ask me! And uploads from membership records must have been
      done some years ago, as I was an assistant ward clerk (records) a while back
      and made sure my family's records were PERFECT, but they are missing 90% of
      event data in nFS, as well as spouses and children...

      I am a long way from being an expert, but one of the good things I have seen
      is that when you are registered for nFS, you have a user profile, with some
      preferences attached. One of these preferences asks you if you would like to
      "reserve" names that you upload by gedcom. If your "cousin" does his
      duplicate combining correctly he will see that you have reserved the
      ordinance work for yourself, and thus cannot "steal" it... You will own the
      information you add to nFS, and you will be able to edit it. Otherwise your
      'cousin" will have to dispute it. Likewise you cannot edit information that
      belongs to him, in which case you will be the disputer. Does this sound
      logical? I am still going through my lot combining duplicates (it is not a
      trivial task), so I don't know what happens if you upload a gedcom for
      someone whose work has already been done. Some comment on this please from
      our more knowledgeable peers?

      I think that we will have to all be adults in this game soon (ever done any
      transactional analysis?) ie when your information is disputed, when
      everything is up and running and you are in contact with the disputer
      (contact info can be displayed beautifully in nFS) then you can argy bargy
      about who is right or wrong, and clear the dispute.

      We will have to get rid of the notion that this is MY ancestor, and accept
      that this is OUR ancestor, otherwise we will not progress in this work.

      I am sure that those temple districts that have gone live could share with
      us some of the problems they are hitting their heads against while teaching
      nFS to their wards - forewarned is forearmed! And perhaps share some of
      their lesson material, which must be evolving all the time!

      Terry in South Africa

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 3 2:53 PM
        That is a good idea! One of them might even take a card for the original sister to do.

        Thanks,
        Nora

        "M. Kathleen Felsted" <mkfelsted@...> wrote:
        Hi Nora,

        I can understand the not wanting to have the card - if I think I would lose
        them. If I were the FHC Director or other helper who is in the same
        situation, I would probably just hand these kind of cards out in RS or
        Priesthood, when a ward temple trip is coming up.

        Kathie

        M. Kathleen Felsted
        mkfelsted@...