Using nFS Is it possible to change a last name?

  • Alan Whitcomb
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
      The members here are great inspirations for me. I "think" we can change a
      few things using nFS. Let me explain the situation.

      Juana Goni born 1861 in Spain (yes I am omitting some date and place info
      for brevity)

      She was sealed to her father Juan Goni and her mother Micaela Irturbi.

      I have two questions. Will it be possible to change her name from Goni to
      Goni Irturbi? Next, will non ANSI characters be allowed?

      On Nov 9, 2007 5:21 PM, luv2surch <axno4u2@...> wrote:

      > I went to the same meeting. The brother from the file desk at the
      > temple said that January 22nd is the roll out date. I, also,
      > received the 90 day roll out letter for directors.
      > Kim
      >

      > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Terri Shea <tsshea06@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you know when LA will go live??
      > > Terri
      > >
      > > DCuillard@... wrote:
      > > We attended a meeting this past Sunday evening for some
      > of the Stakes in the
      > > Los Angeles Temple district regarding nFS for our Temple district.
      > > I registered and have been able to begin learning the program.
      > > I have one question..... on most of the names I have previously
      > submitted
      > > for Temple Ordinances, the ordinance dates & Temple were listed.
      > However, I
      > > did find a couple where the word "completed" is all that is listed
      > in the
      > > ordinance fields. Does anyone know why this is listed instead of
      > the actual dates?
      > > Thanks,
      > > Donna

      > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Russell Hltn
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
        On Nov 9, 2007 6:48 AM, Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote:
        > will non ANSI characters be allowed?

        nFS uses UTF-8
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
          It is possible to add another opinion for the name. This opinion will have
          just as much weight as any other opinion in the database. If you provide a
          good reason you may get the other contributors to change their data to match
          yours. In some cases I have 5-10 variations of a name for an individual and
          as far as nFS is concerned all of them are valid.

          As far as non ANSI characters are concerned, you have a choice of what
          language you want to work in. If those languages have special characters
          they should be available.

          Miles Meyer

          On 11/9/07, Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote:

          > The members here are great inspirations for me. I "think" we can change
          > few things using nFS. Let me explain the situation.
          >
          > Juana Goni born 1861 in Spain (yes I am omitting some date and place info
          > for brevity)
          >
          > She was sealed to her father Juan Goni and her mother Micaela Irturbi.
          >
          > I have two questions. Will it be possible to change her name from Goni to
          > Goni Irturbi? Next, will non ANSI characters be allowed?

        • T. Mason
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
            Alan,

            Using the beta test site (so the data will be discarded), I first
            added Juana's mother's surname and then modified the entry to show
            the surname as Goni Irturbi. Then I changed the n to an n with a
            tilde (~) over it. It took it all without a problem.

            Terry

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Whitcomb" <alan.whitcomb@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2007
              Thanks Terry and all who responded. THIS is a good reason to have nFS even
              if it has other flaws that will be worked out. It is really needed.
              Duplications can be eliminated, data entry errors can be corrected.. And my
              Spanish wife and others here will be a lot happier.

              Alan
              FHC Pamplona, Spain

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                A quick aside, and thanks Alan for the tip.

                I learned recently about a good site for research in
                Spain, it's http://www.pares.org/ and has loads of
                digital records, and more are being added all the
                time.

                They even have records of genealogical value on
                Cervantes, from before he wrote Don Quixote even.
                Those are shown in a video presentation (in Spanish)
                about PARES. May help you get further back on your
                Spanish lines.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                  Are you sure this is the right link? I get a web page with lots of
                  popup ads and search results when I click on it.

                  Miles

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                    Might have mistyped it, but do a Goodle search anyway
                    in case I'm wrong. PARES is the major archives in
                    Spain. To an extent replaced the big one in Seville
                    as far as being the central location.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                      I looked it up and I believe it is at http://pares.mcu.es

                      There is a tutorial at http://dlmforum.typepad.com/Presentacion_ingles.pdf

                      Thanks,

                      Miles

                      On Nov 10, 2007 10:14 AM, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:

                      > Might have mistyped it, but do a Goodle search anyway
                      > in case I'm wrong. PARES is the major archives in
                      > Spain. To an extent replaced the big one in Seville
                      > as far as being the central location.

                    • L.L. Scott
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                        This may be it.
                        http://pares.mcu.es/

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 10, 2007
                          Yes, that's the one, I recognize the screen layout.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com