FHCNET Idea

  • jkeagle13@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
      Hello,

      I had a thought. Would it be possible to trial-run removing the moderation
      on the FHCNET group? That way the emails can go straight through to the group
      immediately. Sometimes things sort of grind to a halt waiting to be approved,
      and then, all of a sudden, ten virtually identical emails come through all
      addressing and answering the same point in the same manner. It would help
      alleviate redundant duplicates to remove the moderation. It can be a minor
      rnuisance sometimes to have my email box fill up with wasted emails as everyone
      jumped on answering the same question all at the same time. It would also save
      people from wasting time answering a question that somebody else has already
      thoroughly answered.

      Random thought,

      Joseph Irvine
      Mesa, AZ

      Joseph,

      Thanks for your suggestion.

      FHCNET preferences were set to allow anyone to join the list, and no moderation. Then we started getting inappropriate spam messages, so I restricted posting to members only and began moderating messages posted by new members. Now spammers join the list and then post their messages anyway; so I went to moderating all messages. We get two or three of these spam messages a week.

      There are two of us moderating messages. We check them several times a day. We can try to "schedule" our moderation so messages don't pile up.

      Another possibility is to appoint additional moderators.

      Yahoo! members may read the messages online at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET and then change their membership to no message delivery. This would help with a crowded inbox problem, but it does require one to set up a Yahoo! membership to have access to the Web site. FHCNET messages are also archived at the above URL and are searchable.

      One can receive FHCNET messages in Digest Mode where messages for each day (up to 20) are combined into one email per day. Some like this delivery method, but it makes it more difficult to reply to an individual message without quoting the entire digest.

      I have been very pleased at how "well behaved" our members are. Everyone is always most helpful and we haven't had any heated discussions. Postings are appropriate. Thanks for helping each other.

      Ileen Johnson
      FHCNET List Owner
    • Russell Hltn
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
        Ileen,

        I've never been a moderator, but I've been under the impression that
        there's a way of setting individual members to "unmoderated" status.
        I think what other groups do is that new members are moderated by
        default, but once they post a message that shows they understand the
        group, they are placed on unmoderated status. There is less work for
        the moderators, the bulk of the group flows unmoderated, and the
        spammers are 99% filtered out.

        A few spamers that can speak the lingo can infiltrate, but they are a
        very small minority. It's no worse then when a valid list member gets
        carried away.

        I've always assumed the bulk of similar message was just due to the
        way email works. Not everyone gets all the messages right away, so
        many times replies cross in the mail queue.

        Anyway, thanks for all the work you do. I didn't realize you had to
        approve every one. That's a heck of a work load.

        As for folks having problems with their inbox, the days of filling
        inboxes should be long past as most ISPs have generous settings.
        Management is still critical to keep up. The way I cope is I set
        rules/filters that route all messages with "[FHCNET]" in the subject
        line into it's own folder. That keeps the list messages from downing
        my personal messages.
      • Ileen Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

          > I've never been a moderator, but I've been under the impression that
          > there's a way of setting individual members to "unmoderated" status.

          Thanks for the tip, Russell. I found the feature and will start
          changing regular posters to unmoderated as the messages come in.

          > It's no worse then when a valid list member gets
          > carried away.

          Yes it is worse than that. The spam messages are naughty.

          Ileen Johnson
          List Owner
        • Winter Owl
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
            Gee, you're polite! They are rude, vulgar and pornographic!

            Thank you for all you do!

            Robert

            Ileen Johnson <ileenjohnson@...> wrote:<snip>

            Yes it is worse than that. The spam messages are naughty.

            Ileen Johnson
            List Owner

            or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Alan Whitcomb
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
              "naughty", "vulgar", "gross".. the words we use show our age.. It´s better
              to use nicer words, even about those things that are not so nice.

              But what do I know? When I was young "gay" meant a condition of joy. When I
              moved to the San Francisco area (30 years ago) I endured a culture shock.

              I suspected that Ilene did this, and her eternal companion during her
              hospitlization.. Bless you Ilene!