Re: [FHCNET] Filing Film

  • Terri Jaskolka
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11 9:17 AM
      We file short-term by patron name and extended loan by film number.

      No real advantage in our system other than it is well established and
      everyone knows how to work with it. :)

      I believe the reason we decided to separate out short term patron films was
      that at the time we had several patrons that were heavy film orderers,
      having at least a dozen short term films each on hand every week. Filing by
      patron name allowed them easier access to those films for the time they were
      on short term loan, since they didn't have to wade through more than one
      drawer for their films. It was more for their convenience than for the
      staff's since it would have been much easier on the staff to be able to pull
      films due to be returned by number instead of searching through the drawers
      for due dates. Still, we didn't have more than one small cabinet to look
      through anyway, so hasn't been that bad.

      For awhile, we also kept patron-ordered fiche separate from the FHC stock,
      but I kind of forced the combining of all the collections of fiche we had
      into one group. After all, it wasn't like they were going away after awhile
      and the different collections would only grow over time, contributing to the
      chaos.

      I don't want to force too many changes on the FHC at a time, you know how
      people are about change, and we've been going through enough lately with
      those changes not in our control (i.e. Ancestry.com, new programs, FH
      consultant reorganization, etc., not that they are bad changes! <g>), so
      I've had to prioritize which "upgrades" to tackle and rearranging the film
      cabinets are a bit down the list. :)

      -Terri J.