Re: [FHCNET] AIS Support

  • Barb Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      cricketjunky2 <rburdsal@...> wrote: If you go to FamilySearch.org and go to search, then research helps and go to title under A you will see Accelerated Indexing System. U.S. Census Indexes (on microfiche). Distribution services stock # 30970. If you click on the item you can gain some information but the prinout that you get from Distribution is much better, explains it in more detail. From my own experience using the AIS there is not much information beyond 1880. I don't recall ever seeing anything in the 1900's. The AIS can be very helpful in tracking a family from one census to the next and very easy to use, especially if you have that research guide.

      Barbara
      Family History Center Support Missionary

      Does anybody know how
      to really use the AIS - is there any written direction or materials
      still available for patron use? If so I'd love to know and to get a
      copy for my facility.

      Rob Burdsal
      Virginia

      or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • DearMYRTLE
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        As Barb Allen explains, the AIS is by no means comprehensive. Additionally
        is was rated as having an 18% error rate (from an old study from Brigham
        Young University.) Certainly the 1880 Census index at FamilySearch is more
        reliable, since it was creating using a double blind data entry system,
        which AIS did not employ.

        Although many older Family History Centers had the AIS as part of the Family
        History Center Collection, with two online census indexes (Ancestry owns the
        AIS indexes now) it seems backward technology to use the microfiche.

[...]

        <mailto:FHCNET-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:FHCNET-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          That's a good explanation, and the 1880 Census is
          online at familysearch.org, and the 1900 Census will
          be in the future as the indexing of it is over 60
          percent complete.

          Once we get the indexing images, it will be possible
          to find matches in multiple censuses, rendering the
          whole matter of the AIS moot. I saw those books that
          came with it years ago as well that helped you find
          the fiche you needed to look for. The indexing
          results will be much easier to use than the books and
          old fiche ever were.

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • gturn55
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            You can already access the Census Indexs of the 1880 and 1900 Census and
            many of the Images of the 1900 Census on the Beta version of Record
            Search at Family Search Labs.

            FamilySearchLabs <http://familysearchlabs.org/>

            Just go to familysearchlabs.org and register to use the Beta version.
            Try the link above.

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...>

            ________________________________________________________________________\
            ____________
            > Need a vacation? Get great deals
            > to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            > http://travel.yahoo.com/

          • The Allens
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              All,
              Two problems--Family History centers do not have Ancestry access, and
              the other replacements mentioned in James Anderson's post are not here yet.
              We had this discussion in the forum before. The AIS is indeed limited,
              but with the absence of Ancestry, its value has increased. It has other info
              besides the federal censuses. Agreed, it only lists the head of household,
              but that is also the case with Heritage Quest. To dismiss it and not teach
              your patrons how to use it does them a very big disservice. If you think it
              is now irrelevant, I would suggest you get the books and read them to find
              out what it can do for you. There are numerous accounts of information found
              there that was missed during census searches.

              Dean Allen
              Gambrills MD (My wife and I were released as directors due to health
              problems : (

              > As Barb Allen explains, the AIS is by no means comprehensive. Additionally
              > is was rated as having an 18% error rate (from an old study from Brigham
              > Young University.) Certainly the 1880 Census index at FamilySearch is more
              > reliable, since it was creating using a double blind data entry system,
              > which AIS did not employ.
              >

              > Although many older Family History Centers had the AIS as part of the
              > Family
              > History Center Collection, with two online census indexes (Ancestry owns
              > the
              > AIS indexes now) it seems backward technology to use the microfiche.

            • Barb
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                Try www.fhc.familysearch.org .