Re: "Ancestry Library Edition"

  • robertraymondut
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
      Here's a comparison of Ancestry Library Edition (ALE) and
      HeritageQuest Online (HQ):

      - The family and local history book collections are very similar.
      - Both have all US census images. ALE has all census names indexed,
      HQ has 1790-1820,1870-1920 (head of household), 1930 (partial) and no
      plans to add indexes.
      - Both have PERSI and Freedman's Bank records.
      - ALE has some Revolutionary War records. HQ has others.
      - HQ has petitions to Congress. ALE does not.

      ALE also has these collections(absent in HQ):

      - All of NARA's huge immigration film collection imaged and indexed.
      - Complete UK census images and indexes.
      - A bunch of state and Indian censuses added in the last while.
      - Canadian census* and Drouin collection.
      - A large number of state vital record indexes and the Social
      Security Death Index (some of which are available elsewhere for
      free*).
      - Complete English BMD index images* and FreeBMD.*
      - WWI Draft cards, WWII (old man's) Draft
      cards, all NARA films of US Colored
      Soldier service records, Complete Civil war Service Records,* and a
      couple hundred additional military titles.
      - Living relative finding aids: U.S. Public Records Index and modern
      U.S. phone books.
      - Many historic U.S. and German city directories and U.K. phone books.
      - A feeble court, land, and probate collection, except for the
      impressive U.S. County Land Ownership Atlases image collection.
      - An impressive reference collection including historic topographical
      titles and Ancestry Press titles: The Source and The Red Book.
      - An extensive map collection with disappointing resolution* and
      another map collection.
      - A U.S. newspaper collection of reasonable size, excellent date
      coverage, but sparse geographic coverage.
      - A practically useless high school yearbook collection.
      - Various photographic collections.*
      - Ancestry World Tree.*
      - Thousands of various, mostly small databases.

      * These titles are available elsewhere for free.

      Less, but official, information is available from ProQuest:

      http://il.proquest.com/support/cs-tools.shtml

      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

      > How is that different from the Heritage Quest/Proquest we're getting
      > now from www.fhc.familysearch.org?
    • Norma McClain
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
        You can access ALE free by logging on to www.wspl.org-
        I thought it was too good to be true, but it's the real deal!

        Regine Brindle <babette602001@...> wrote:
        That's the full version of Ancestry.com
        with the World Databases. At least it was when we tried it for 1 month or however long we had it. They also offer HeritageQuest separately from that, for additional money if you want to combine the 2.
        Regine Brindle

        On 9/27/07, ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
        > We are considering purchasing a subscription "Ancestry Library
        > Edition" from ProQuest for our FHC. This would provide access to our
        > patrons from the 12 computers we have in the Centre. Has anyone else
        > done this? Is anyone else contemplating this? Your feedback will be
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Eric

      • Regine Brindle
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
          WOW! You must have good people willing to make a donation so you have that!
          It's awesome!
          As I remember, the ProQuest "Ancestry Library' offered the World Deluxe version of Ancestry, so Canada and European countries are included. It is excellent but way too pricey for our small genealogical society.
          It was very tempting but we weren't ready for that, no locale where the members could actually meet (besides the FHC) and I certainly could not get into motion the construction of such a room and then add computers etc... It would be awesome but not realistic for us for now...
          I was revamping our "How to Use the FHC" booklet and I realized how losing Ancestry has really rearranged how we deal with patrons.
          Can't wait till the FS Records Search feature is as full as Ancestry, and it will be, I'm sure... but it won't be tomorrow... Oh well... "Rome was not built in a day" either...
          Have fun!!!
          Regine

          ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
          Thanks for reponsing - I hope others will. We were not able to even
          get a price until recently when we were quoted about $1738 US funds.
          The Canadian/US dollar exchange rate now makes this a more manageable
          cost.

          How does it differ from Heritabe/Proquest through the FamilySsearch
          portal? The library edition, while not the entire "Ancestry.com",
          contains most of the same datbases and all of the databases that our
          patrons normaly access. The price is indeed high but we will likely
          try it for the next year.

          Eric Abell, Director, Victoria Stake Family History Centres

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Regine Brindle <babette602001@...>
          wrote:

          > How much are they going to charge you?
          > Our genealogical society enquired last year (thru ProQuest)
          > It was going to be $1700/year!
          > Regine
          >
          > ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
          > We are considering purchasing a subscription "Ancestry
          Library
          > Edition" from ProQuest for our FHC. This would provide access to
          our
          > patrons from the 12 computers we have in the Centre. Has anyone
          else
          > done this? Is anyone else contemplating this? Your feedback will be
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Eric

        • Regine Brindle
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
            I bet that won't last long now...
            There is no way they'll allow it, unless you have a library card for that library, maybe...
            Be careful...
            Regine

            Norma McClain <girletta15@...> wrote:
            You can access ALE free by logging on to www.wspl.org-
            I thought it was too good to be true, but it's the real deal!

            Regine Brindle <babette602001@...> wrote:
            That's the full version of Ancestry.com
            with the World Databases. At least it was when we tried it for 1 month or however long we had it. They also offer HeritageQuest separately from that, for additional money if you want to combine the 2.
            Regine Brindle

            Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:
            How is that different from the Heritage Quest/Proquest we're getting
            now from www.fhc.familysearch.org?

            On 9/27/07, ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
            > We are considering purchasing a subscription "Ancestry Library
            > Edition" from ProQuest for our FHC. This would provide access to our
            > patrons from the 12 computers we have in the Centre. Has anyone else
            > done this? Is anyone else contemplating this? Your feedback will be
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Eric

          • robertraymondut
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
              Has any FHCs in a small town asked ProQuest about pricing? I'm
              wondering how flexible they can be.

              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Regine Brindle <babette602001@...> wrote:
              > As I remember, the ProQuest "Ancestry Library' offered the World
              > Deluxe version of Ancestry, so Canada and European countries are
              > included. It is excellent but way too pricey for our small
              > genealogical society.
            • Pam Ingermanson
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
                Norma McClain wrote:
                > You can access ALE free by logging on to www.wspl.org-
                > I thought it was too good to be true, but it's the real deal!

                Both ancestry.com and HeritageQuest at the website ask for a password.
                How did you get access if you are not part of the library system in West
                Springfield, Massachusetts?
                Pam
              • k7vvu@juno.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but my understanding was that they will not sell to individual FHCs.
                  Elder Strange

                  wrote:

                  > How much are they going to charge you?
                  > Our genealogical society enquired last year (thru ProQuest)
                  > It was going to be $1700/year!
                  > Regine
                  >
                  > ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
                  > We are considering purchasing a subscription "Ancestry
                  Library
                  > Edition" from ProQuest for our FHC. This would provide access to
                  our
                  > patrons from the 12 computers we have in the Centre. Has anyone
                  else
                  > done this? Is anyone else contemplating this? Your feedback will be
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > Eric

                • Alan Jones
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
                    They do and have sold to individual FHCs.

                    There is one in the Los Angeles area.

                    --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com> , Regine
                    Brindle <babette602001@...>
                    wrote:

                    > How much are they going to charge you?
                    > Our genealogical society enquired last year (thru ProQuest)
                    > It was going to be $1700/year!
                    > Regine
                    >
                    > ehasidney <emregister@...> wrote:
                    > We are considering purchasing a subscription "Ancestry
                    Library
                    > Edition" from ProQuest for our FHC. This would provide access to
                    our
                    > patrons from the 12 computers we have in the Centre. Has anyone
                    else
                    > done this? Is anyone else contemplating this? Your feedback will be
                    > appreciated.
                    >
                    > Eric

                  • Steven Niedermeyer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
                      I thought we weren't allowed to get a library subscription? If so, we will
                      do it it a second. Anyone else hear we weren't supposed to get this type of
                      subscription?

                    • Regine Brindle
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 28, 2007
                        They can't be.
                        The price is the same.
                        One room, however many pcs you have are fine but nothing outside that one building... SO if your small town has lots of room in the FHC for lots of pcs, plus lots of money to cover the huge price tage (especially if you're not a busy FHC)...
                        That's way out there for us...
                        I'd kust assume be patient until the FS Records Search is ready and work with the good folks who have made their websites available to the FHCs. Much wiser for us anyway...
                        Regine brindle

                        robertraymondut <RobertRaymondUT@...> wrote:
                        Has any FHCs in a small town asked ProQuest about pricing? I'm
                        wondering how flexible they can be.

                        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Regine Brindle <babette602001@...> wrote:
                        > As I remember, the ProQuest "Ancestry Library' offered the World
                        > Deluxe version of Ancestry, so Canada and European countries are
                        > included. It is excellent but way too pricey for our small
                        > genealogical society.

                      • T. Mason
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 30, 2007
                          How can a center director make a decision to "try it for a year"?

                          We are not able to earn a profit in the centers. That is why we have
                          a tax exempt status.

                          Budgets should be designed to meet our operating expenses only and
                          not give us any surplus.

                          We are allowed to accumulate extra funds so as to be in a position to
                          repair film/fiche copy machines but beyond that ???

                          So please pardon my boldness but __How can you be in a position to
                          make a decision to spend $1738 US on a subscription to a commercial
                          company?__

                          I think such an expenditure would require priesthood leader
                          clearance. Isn't there an audit question about such use of funds that
                          would raise a flag to the money managers?

                          It would seem at the least that a subscription of this type would
                          require pre-authorization from Donna Miller in the FH department.
                          There are many ramifications here. That is why we have affiliate
                          software vendors and portals made available to family history center.
                          What is so desireable in this Library Edition that it would justify
                          stepping out of the guidelines?

                          In the administrative guide and operations manual, I read, "These
                          funds are used, as needed, to pay for paper, toner, maintenance
                          (including any maintenance contracts), and repairs of photocopiers
                          and reader-printers, and for paper and toner for computer printers.
                          These funds cannot be used for other ward or stake activities. Funds
                          in excess of the amount needed for supplies, maintenance, and repairs
                          are considered surplus funds. Centers may not generate their own
                          operating funds." "The assigned priesthood leader works closely with
                          the center director to determine a center's budget needs. The center
                          may NOT 'Sell commercial or non-Church materials, advertise
                          commercial products or services in the center, or allow anyone to
                          promote, demonstrate, or sell products in the center without
                          authorization from Church headquarters.'"

                          So I'm wondering how you can have the autonomy to make such a
                          decision.

                          Terry Mason

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 30, 2007
                            Really? Since I can't share the source of my information, can you
                            share how you know that ProQuest pricing is the same for small towns
                            as for large?

                            wrote:

                            > They can't be.
                            > The price is the same.
                            > Regine brindle
                            >
                            > robertraymondut <RobertRaymondUT@...> wrote:
                            > Has any FHCs in a small town asked ProQuest about pricing?
                            I'm
                            > wondering how flexible they can be.
                          • Terri J.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 30, 2007
                              Useless, unless perhaps you are considering blackmail, lol.

                              Hiding all copies of my HS yearbook,
                              Terri J.

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              3:40 PM