Re: [FHCNET] Is NFS rollout to temple districts important?

  • Winter Owl
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 26, 2007
      Part of the reason is they don't want people to desert their temple district to go somewhere there is the new stuff.
      And you can't do the on-line Temple Ready until nFS is released to your district anyhow!

      The roller coaster has reached the top and now it's headed downhill. Just hang on for a little while. It will get to everyone very soon.

      Robert

      Steven Niedermeyer <yahoo@...> wrote: I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show the status
      of the New Family Search rollout. As FHC directors and Family History
      Consultants, it's important to know if a nearby temple district will be
      coming on line and when. Also, it is quite interesting to all of us as
      evidenced by the number of email regarding it over this list and an official
      list would be very welcomed even if dates were estimated. Having an
      official, central location for this info give something for FamilySearch
      support to point people to as well.

      On 9/26/07, Grace Bagwell wrote:

      > Albuquerque New Mexico Temple is supposed to change October 13th.

      or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Snow, Donald R.
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 26, 2007
        Alan, as I've pointed out before, Ancestral Quest 12 will read and
        write PAF 5.2 databases, has a Spanish version, and is free for
        FHC's. PAFWiz will read and write PAF 5.2 databases, but I don't
        think it does Spanish. Using AQ12 your people could use PAF 5.2
        databases (with Unique Serial Numbers and all), but do them all in
        Spanish. Gaylon Findlay, author of AQ, can give you more
        details. PAF 4 was an earlier version of AQ.

        Elder Snow

        At 08:39 PM 9/26/2007, you wrote:

        >I must disagree with people wanting to know the rollout ahead of time. We
        >all know it's coming, and like the 12 virgins, some of us will be caught
        >unprepared. The best way we can prepare is to do our best to get our
        >member's data cleaned up so it can be uploaded without many errors to NFS.
        >Some of the material I would like to see (such as the How To's in Spanish)
        >probably have not been written as there might be problems as NFS scales up,
        >and procedures and programs may have to be rewritten.
        >
        >I can now see that it would be wise to encourage people here to move to
        >Legacy. There might be groaning and nashing of teeth.. and in the end I
        >might be wrong but I have started doing it.
        >
        >Alan
        >FHC Pamplona, Spain
        >
        >Formerly head of tech support for the Apple Pippin (predecessor to the Imac)
        >rated as one of the top 25 worst computers ever sold
        >
        >On 9/26/07, Steven Niedermeyer
        ><<mailto:yahoo%40ntrees.org>yahoo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show the
        > > status
        > > of the New Family Search rollout. As FHC directors and Family History
        > > Consultants, it's important to know if a nearby temple district will be
        > > coming on line and when. Also, it is quite interesting to all of us as
        > > evidenced by the number of email regarding it over this list and an
        > > official
        > > list would be very welcomed even if dates were estimated. Having an
        > > official, central location for this info give something for FamilySearch
        > > support to point people to as well.
        > >
        > > On 9/26/07, Grace Bagwell
        > <<mailto:gmbagwell%40yahoo.com>gmbagwell@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Albuquerque New Mexico Temple is supposed to change October 13th.

        > > Unsubscribe:
        > > Subscribe: Go to
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET
        > > or send blank email to
        > <mailto:FHCNET-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        >9/19/2007 3:59 PM

        Elder Donald R. Snow, England London Mission, Hyde Park Family
        History Centre; Retired Prof of Math, Brigham Young University,
        Provo, Utah; snowd@..., drs31@...

      • Dawn Crowley
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 26, 2007
          I suggest exposing youth & young adults to new software first. They'll
          pick it up rapidly and can assist others in getting started whether it's
          nFS, Legacy, or whatever.

          Dawn

          Alan Whitcomb wrote:

          > I must disagree with people wanting to know the rollout ahead of time. We
          > all know it's coming, and like the 12 virgins, some of us will be caught
          > unprepared. The best way we can prepare is to do our best to get our
          > member's data cleaned up so it can be uploaded without many errors to NFS.
          > Some of the material I would like to see (such as the How To's in Spanish)
          > probably have not been written as there might be problems as NFS
          > scales up,
          > and procedures and programs may have to be rewritten.
          >
          > I can now see that it would be wise to encourage people here to move to
          > Legacy. There might be groaning and nashing of teeth.. and in the end I
          > might be wrong but I have started doing it.
          >
          > Alan
          > FHC Pamplona, Spain
          >
          > Formerly head of tech support for the Apple Pippin (predecessor to the
          > Imac)
          > rated as one of the top 25 worst computers ever sold
          >
          > On 9/26/07, Steven Niedermeyer <yahoo@...
          > <mailto:yahoo%40ntrees.org>> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show the
          > > status
          > > of the New Family Search rollout. As FHC directors and Family History
          > > Consultants, it's important to know if a nearby temple district will be
          > > coming on line and when. Also, it is quite interesting to all of us as
          > > evidenced by the number of email regarding it over this list and an
          > > official
          > > list would be very welcomed even if dates were estimated. Having an
          > > official, central location for this info give something for FamilySearch
          > > support to point people to as well.
          > >
          > > On 9/26/07, Grace Bagwell <gmbagwell@...
          > <mailto:gmbagwell%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Albuquerque New Mexico Temple is supposed to change October 13th.

          > <mailto:FHCNET-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Subscribe: Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET
          > > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:FHCNET-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dawn Crowley
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 26, 2007
            It would be helpful if they did that--especially for those of us who
            travel for work.

            Dawn

            Steven Niedermeyer wrote:

            > I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show the
            > status
            > of the New Family Search rollout. As FHC directors and Family History
            > Consultants, it's important to know if a nearby temple district will be
            > coming on line and when. Also, it is quite interesting to all of us as
            > evidenced by the number of email regarding it over this list and an
            > official
            > list would be very welcomed even if dates were estimated. Having an
            > official, central location for this info give something for FamilySearch
            > support to point people to as well.
            >
            > -----------snip----------

          • T. Mason
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
              1) We were told about a month before our temple district went on line
              with the new.FamilySearch.

              2) About a month after the roll-out meeting each director was visited
              by two department respresentatives who answered personal question and
              offered advice for two hours.

              3) Today about 50 directors participated in a conference call for a
              little over and hour and a half and reviewed and received instruction
              about the new.FamilySearch.

              One thing of interest from the meeting is that all ordinances in the
              IGI will be in the new.FamilySearch by the end of October. Ordinances
              cleared using the new.FamilySearch will not be displayed in the IGI.

              Note: It is planned for all temple districts to be in the
              new.FamilySearch by mid-2008.

              So please don't worry about when you will be next. It will happen
              soon and that will open more "opportunities." There are several
              things needing attention in the program before the masses get it.
              Then there will be more new features added soon after the roll-out is
              finished.

              Terry Mason
              Clermont Florida

              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Crowley <scion@...> wrote:

              > It would be helpful if they did that--especially for those of us
              who travel for work.

              > Dawn
              >
              > Steven Niedermeyer wrote:
              >
              > > I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show
              the status of the New Family Search rollout.
              > > snip
            • Dawn Crowley
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                This does not address the issue stated. It would be helpful to those
                who travel to know what is available and what is expected in different
                places without having to contact each one and ask. There is no "worry"
                here, just practical planning.

                Dawn

                T. Mason wrote:

                > 1) We were told about a month before our temple district went on line
                > with the new.FamilySearch.
                >
                > 2) About a month after the roll-out meeting each director was visited
                > by two department respresentatives who answered personal question and
                > offered advice for two hours.
                >
                > 3) Today about 50 directors participated in a conference call for a
                > little over and hour and a half and reviewed and received instruction
                > about the new.FamilySearch.
                >
                > One thing of interest from the meeting is that all ordinances in the
                > IGI will be in the new.FamilySearch by the end of October. Ordinances
                > cleared using the new.FamilySearch will not be displayed in the IGI.
                >
                > Note: It is planned for all temple districts to be in the
                > new.FamilySearch by mid-2008.
                >
                > So please don't worry about when you will be next. It will happen
                > soon and that will open more "opportunities." There are several
                > things needing attention in the program before the masses get it.
                > Then there will be more new features added soon after the roll-out is
                > finished.
                >
                > Terry Mason
                > Clermont Florida
                >
                > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>, Dawn
                > Crowley <scion@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It would be helpful if they did that--especially for those of us
                > who travel for work.
                > >
                > > Dawn
                > >
                > > Steven Niedermeyer wrote:
                > >
                > > > I'm surprised the F&CHD hasn't set up a central location to show
                > the status of the New Family Search rollout.
                > > > snip
                >
                > __.
                > .

              • M. Kathleen Felsted
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                  If all these new names submitted to the temple under NFS are NOT listed in
                  the IGI, does that possibly result in MORE duplication? Or am I missing
                  something here??

                  Kathie

                  --
                  M. Kathleen Felsted
                  mkfelsted@...

                • Russell Hltn
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                    On 9/27/07, T. Mason <tmason1@...> wrote:
                    > Ordinances
                    > cleared using the new.FamilySearch will not be displayed in the IGI.

                    So, those of us on old FamilySearch won't be able to see new ordnance
                    or at least new ordnances done in the nFS temples?

                    That's a bit of a ouch, but since that's less then a year, it's tolerable.
                  • T. Mason
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                      If you are traveling, get your submission cards printed at home
                      before you go. Anyhow, all temple will accept TempleReady disks from
                      people from outside the temple district. Those of us on new.FS are
                      encouraged to do all our submissions using the FOR (Family Ordinance
                      Request) form printed from the new program. When ordinances are
                      performed from those ordinances cards printed from the "FOR", they
                      will be in the database probably before you get home from the temple.

                      Terry

                      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Crowley <scion@...> wrote:

                      > This does not address the issue stated. It would be helpful to
                      those
                      > who travel to know what is available and what is expected in
                      different
                      > places without having to contact each one and ask. There is
                      no "worry"
                      > here, just practical planning.
                      >
                      > Dawn
                    • Terri Shea
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                        Ok, I am sure I am not listening or have not been paying attention, I have been out of the family history game for a bit and am just getting back aclimated so......why do I want to upload my stuff to NFS? ALL my genealogy on my PAF or what? I am not sure I want to do that. Do we have to upload out stuff to do a temple ready? Or can we just upload the names we want done?
                        sounds a bit confusing to me.
                        Terri

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                          Who said anything about submission cards? It's just a matter of
                          planning ahead for research--including being aware of resources at local
                          FHCs. Back to the original point made by Steven Niedermeyer, it would
                          be helpful if the church had a website we can check to see where nFS is
                          implemented.

                          Dawn

                          T. Mason wrote:

                          > If you are traveling, get your submission cards printed at home
                          > before you go. Anyhow, all temple will accept TempleReady disks from
                          > people from outside the temple district. Those of us on new.FS are
                          > encouraged to do all our submissions using the FOR (Family Ordinance
                          > Request) form printed from the new program. When ordinances are
                          > performed from those ordinances cards printed from the "FOR", they
                          > will be in the database probably before you get home from the temple.
                          >
                          > Terry
                          >
                          > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>, Dawn
                          > Crowley <scion@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > This does not address the issue stated. It would be helpful to
                          > those
                          > > who travel to know what is available and what is expected in
                          > different
                          > > places without having to contact each one and ask. There is
                          > no "worry"
                          > > here, just practical planning.
                          > >
                          > > Dawn
                          >
                          > _

                        • Russell Hltn
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                            To start with, the nFS replaces TempleReady. You'll have to add the
                            name in to get it processed.

                            The second reason you'd want to put information up there is so others
                            can link to it. It's all part of merging our individual files into
                            one big "book" that contains the genealogy of man.

                            On 9/27/07, Terri Shea <tsshea06@...> wrote:
                            > Ok, I am sure I am not listening or have not been paying attention, I have been out of the family history game for a bit and am just getting back aclimated so......why do I want to upload my stuff to NFS? ALL my genealogy on my PAF or what? I am not sure I want to do that. Do we have to upload out stuff to do a temple ready? Or can we just upload the names we want done?
                            > sounds a bit confusing to me.
                            > Terri
                          • Rebecca Christensen

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                                If your Temple District has not been put on nFS, it doesn't matter! You can't clear names from home and direct them to a particular Temple.

                                Here is what to expect:
                                Over the next 8 months, more and more Temple Districts will come on-line. It will be announced on forums like this long before the switch is thrown for each change-over. You can't cross over to a nFS Temple with a floppy disk. You could take blue and pink cards to any Temple.

                                When your District comes on-line, you can electronically send your work to any Temple so equipped, or hand carry the disk, same as now.

                                Robert

                                Dawn Crowley <scion@...> wrote: This does not address the issue stated. It would be helpful to those

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 27, 2007
                                  However, as I understand it, the instructions at first are to only upload small GEDCOM files, meaning basically names you want to get done, and perhaps their associated immediate family members.The "book" aspect will happen over time. You will not be uploading your entire PAF file right away, and possibly never, as it would be better as you go along to exclude any names previously uploaded.
                                  (to minimize merging). Unless of course the programs such as Family Insight will solve that issue.

                                  Gary Templeman

                                  From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

                                  > To start with, the nFS replaces TempleReady. You'll have to add the
                                  > name in to get it processed.
                                  >
                                  > The second reason you'd want to put information up there is so others
                                  > can link to it. It's all part of merging our individual files into
                                  > one big "book" that contains the genealogy of man.
                                  >

                                  > On 9/27/07, Terri Shea wrote:
                                  > > Ok, I am sure I am not listening or have not been paying attention, I have
                                  > been out of the family history game for a bit and am just getting back aclimated
                                  > so......why do I want to upload my stuff to NFS? ALL my genealogy on my PAF or
                                  > what? I am not sure I want to do that. Do we have to upload out stuff to do a
                                  > temple ready? Or can we just upload the names we want done?
                                  > > sounds a bit confusing to me.
                                  > > Terri

                                  > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Venita Roylance
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                    You can only upload gedcoms that are 1 mg or smaller. Before you
                                    upload any information, you will be expected to examine what is
                                    already in new FS for you and your ancestors, combine records, and
                                    make corrections where necessary. Then, if you find that important
                                    information is missing, you can type it in or submit a small gedcom.

                                    Personally, I doubt that we will ever be invited to submit our whole
                                    genealogy database in one gedcom. That could create too many more
                                    duplicate records, unnecessary duplicates. When new FS is available
                                    to you, you will inderstand what I mean.

                                    Again, clean up your own data, get to know your ancestors, and learn
                                    how to make gedcoms efficiently for one person, or one couple, or one
                                    family. Then you will be better prepared to combine the records that
                                    are in new FS and make good judgements about when or if a gedcom
                                    needs to be added.

                                    "There is work enough to do..."

                                    Yours,

                                    Venita

                                    Homepage: Family History and Other Fascination
                                    http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

                                    Do you know about the Utah South Area Family History Training Center?
                                    Check it out at http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

                                    On Sep 27, 2007, at 11:40 PM, gtempleman1@... wrote:

                                    > However, as I understand it, the instructions at first are to only
                                    > upload small GEDCOM files, meaning basically names you want to get
                                    > done, and perhaps their associated immediate family members.The
                                    > "book" aspect will happen over time. You will not be uploading your
                                    > entire PAF file right away, and possibly never, as it would be
                                    > better as you go along to exclude any names previously uploaded.
                                    > (to minimize merging). Unless of course the programs such as Family
                                    > Insight will solve that issue.
                                    >
                                    > Gary Templeman

                                    > From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>
                                    >
                                    > > To start with, the nFS replaces TempleReady. You'll have to add the
                                    > > name in to get it processed.
                                    > >
                                    > > The second reason you'd want to put information up there is so
                                    > others
                                    > > can link to it. It's all part of merging our individual files into
                                    > > one big "book" that contains the genealogy of man.
                                    > >

                                    > > On 9/27/07, Terri Shea wrote:
                                    > > > Ok, I am sure I am not listening or have not been paying
                                    > attention, I have
                                    > > been out of the family history game for a bit and am just getting
                                    > back aclimated
                                    > > so......why do I want to upload my stuff to NFS? ALL my genealogy
                                    > on my PAF or
                                    > > what? I am not sure I want to do that. Do we have to upload out
                                    > stuff to do a
                                    > > temple ready? Or can we just upload the names we want done?
                                    > > > sounds a bit confusing to me.
                                    > > > Terri

                                    > > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Russell Hltn
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                      Exactly right. Unlike other systems, nFS is NOT starting off "blank".
                                      It has membership records, IGI, AF and PRF. There's a very good
                                      chance that much of what you have is already "there". So the first
                                      task is to organize it. Then, as "holes" are found, you can create
                                      and upload GEDCOMs to fill it.

                                      On 9/28/07, Venita Roylance <venitar@...> wrote:
                                      > You can only upload gedcoms that are 1 mg or smaller. Before you
                                      > upload any information, you will be expected to examine what is
                                      > already in new FS for you and your ancestors, combine records, and
                                      > make corrections where necessary. Then, if you find that important
                                      > information is missing, you can type it in or submit a small gedcom.
                                      >
                                      > Personally, I doubt that we will ever be invited to submit our whole
                                      > genealogy database in one gedcom. That could create too many more
                                      > duplicate records, unnecessary duplicates. When new FS is available
                                      > to you, you will inderstand what I mean.
                                      >
                                      > Again, clean up your own data, get to know your ancestors, and learn
                                      > how to make gedcoms efficiently for one person, or one couple, or one
                                      > family. Then you will be better prepared to combine the records that
                                      > are in new FS and make good judgements about when or if a gedcom
                                      > needs to be added.
                                      >
                                      > "There is work enough to do..."
                                      >
                                      > Yours,
                                      >
                                      > Venita

                                    • Sue Barnsley
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                        How up to date is the data in the NFS? Do you instruct members to also check the Online IGI before clearing names for the Temple?

                                        Another question, if someone in my family goes onto the NFS before I do and goes through and combines everything, will I be able to just find that work and add it to my own, or will I also have to go through and combine all the information from the different databases as well?

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                          --- Sue Barnsley <sbarnsley@...> wrote:

                                          > How up to date is the data in the NFS? Do you
                                          > instruct members to also check the Online IGI before
                                          > clearing names for the Temple?

                                          I don't know the answer to that, although other posts
                                          seem to indicate that the data for ordinances in both
                                          NFS and the old IGI is still being maintained, and
                                          will be more fully synced by the end of October, so it
                                          will be updated constantly from there.

                                          > Another question, if someone in my family goes onto
                                          > the NFS before I do and goes through and combines
                                          > everything, will I be able to just find that work
                                          > and add it to my own, or will I also have to go
                                          > through and combine all the information from the
                                          > different databases as well?

                                          My guess is there will be some of both. You'll
                                          combine from other records you find, both from other
                                          trees and from the other databases, including maybe
                                          even the indexing data (not sure how that will play
                                          out yet), and if the name you have is not on there
                                          already, you'll upload it or if you find data that
                                          enhances what was found already you will be able to
                                          upload that too. In the future, there will be those
                                          who will not find a thing on NFS, so they will have to
                                          upload it all to start with when beginning a tree for
                                          that person and his/her ancestors.

                                          > removed]

                                        • Alan Jones
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                            NFS does not actually combine various records. It does match them together
                                            so in your view you see a single person. It still have reference info to
                                            which databases the info came from. It does not allow you to change the
                                            information in the IGI, AF, etc. But it will enable you to put a flag or
                                            message on a record where you can point out what is wrong and give your
                                            evidence for saying so.

                                            You will be able to find the work others do in NFS "IF" first they set the
                                            option to allow their stuff to be seen, also living peoples' data is
                                            protected to some extent. For example you cannot even see all of the
                                            membership record or your own children who are now over 21. A person could
                                            upload their materials and keep it private. Of course that info that is
                                            already in the public databases, ie. AF, IGI, etc., will be available to
                                            anyone.

                                            So, would I want to wait for someone else to organize and hopefully let me
                                            have visibility? Sure that might be nice. But I am impatient I want to get
                                            in and put it together myself.

                                            Alan

                                            California, USA

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                              My temple district has not gone to the New FamilySearch yet.

                                              Can I access NFS even though my district temple has not switched over?

                                              I am in California, if I was going to go through Reno, could I prepare

                                              My temple names using NFS (no pink/blue cards yet) and then use them at
                                              Reno?

                                              It seems to me that the registration knows what Ward and Stake you are in,

                                              So it keeps those of us outside those temple districts from using it.
                                              Is that right?

                                              If I am wrong, what is the URL so I can try it?

                                              Alan

                                            • Winter Owl
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                                Not unless you are a Family History missionary or Church employee that has been granted access.

                                                Robert

                                                Alan Jones <alanjones10@...> wrote: My temple district has not gone to the New FamilySearch yet.

                                                Can I access NFS even though my district temple has not switched over?

                                                I am in California, if I was going to go through Reno, could I prepare

                                                My temple names using NFS (no pink/blue cards yet) and then use them at
                                                Reno?

                                                It seems to me that the registration knows what Ward and Stake you are in,

                                                So it keeps those of us outside those temple districts from using it.
                                                Is that right?

                                                If I am wrong, what is the URL so I can try it?

                                                Alan

                                                or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Len Ingermanson
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                                  You are correct, you cannot access nfs until your temple district gets the
                                                  go ahead to begin using it. When that happens, Salt Lake flips the switch,
                                                  so to speak; and then, and not until then, you will be able to use the
                                                  website.
                                                  Len Ingermanson

                                                  On 9/28/07, Alan Jones <alanjones10@...> wrote:

                                                  > My temple district has not gone to the New FamilySearch yet.
                                                  >
                                                  > Can I access NFS even though my district temple has not switched over?
                                                  >
                                                  > I am in California, if I was going to go through Reno, could I prepare
                                                  >
                                                  > My temple names using NFS (no pink/blue cards yet) and then use them at
                                                  > Reno?
                                                  >
                                                  > It seems to me that the registration knows what Ward and Stake you are in,
                                                  >
                                                  > So it keeps those of us outside those temple districts from using it.
                                                  > Is that right?
                                                  >
                                                  > If I am wrong, what is the URL so I can try it?
                                                  >
                                                  > Alan

                                                • Russell Hltn
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 28, 2007
                                                    On 9/28/07, Alan Jones <alanjones10@...> wrote:
                                                    > Can I access NFS even though my district temple has not switched over?

                                                    No.

                                                    > It seems to me that the registration knows what Ward and Stake you are in,
                                                    >
                                                    > So it keeps those of us outside those temple districts from using it.
                                                    > Is that right?

                                                    Correct.

                                                    > ... what is the URL so I can try it?

                                                    new.familysearch.org
                                                  • lyle goodwin
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
                                                      Dawn, calm down!
                                                      > Who said anything about submission cards? It's just a matter of
                                                      > planning ahead for research--including being aware of resources at local
                                                      > FHCs. Back to the original point made by Steven Niedermeyer, it would
                                                      > be helpful if the church had a website we can check to see where nFS is
                                                      > implemented.
                                                      >
                                                      > Dawn
                                                      >
                                                      > T. Mason wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> If you are traveling, get your submission cards printed at home
                                                      >> before you go. Anyhow, all temple will accept TempleReady disks from
                                                      >> people from outside the temple district. Those of us on new.FS are
                                                      >> encouraged to do all our submissions using the FOR (Family Ordinance
                                                      >> Request) form printed from the new program. When ordinances are
                                                      >> performed from those ordinances cards printed from the "FOR", they
                                                      >> will be in the database probably before you get home from the temple.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Terry
                                                      >>
                                                      >> --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>, Dawn
                                                      >> Crowley <scion@...> wrote:
                                                      >> >
                                                      >> > This does not address the issue stated. It would be helpful to
                                                      >> those
                                                      >> > who travel to know what is available and what is expected in
                                                      >> different
                                                      >> > places without having to contact each one and ask. There is
                                                      >> no "worry"
                                                      >> > here, just practical planning.
                                                      >> >
                                                      >> > Dawn
                                                      >>
                                                      >> _