New research sites

  • Louise Hustead
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
      I would like to generate some excitement within the FHC staff for
      getting into, and becoming familiar with, the new research sites
      provided through the fhc.familysearch portal, namely, Footnote.com, The
      Godfrey Memorial Library, World Vital Records, FamilyLink, and
      HeritageQuest.

      Would someone help me with descriptions of what each site contains?
      For instance, I know that Footnote.com is digitizing and putting online
      the records of the NARA (National Archives), but I don't know if that is
      complete or if it is still in process? I know very little about the
      content of the Godfrey Memorial Library. Also -- when I do a search in
      Godfrey Library, I either get zero results --- or if I get results, when
      I click on the result I get a message 'this page cannot be displayed'.
      There must be some secret to searching this site. If anyone knows,
      would you advise me so I can pass it on to my staff members?

      Thank you.
      Louise Hustead, Director
      Klamath Falls Oregon Stake FHC

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
        I have put up an introductory training manual for HeritageQuest on my
        webpage at milesmeyer.googlepages.com. I will be adding Footnote and the
        others in the upcoming weeks. Maybe those would be helpful for you.

        Miles Meyer

        On 9/11/07, Louise Hustead <franklou2@...> wrote:

        > I would like to generate some excitement within the FHC staff for
        > getting into, and becoming familiar with, the new research sites
        > provided through the fhc.familysearch portal, namely, Footnote.com, The
        > Godfrey Memorial Library, World Vital Records, FamilyLink, and
        > HeritageQuest.
        >
        > Would someone help me with descriptions of what each site contains?
        > For instance, I know that Footnote.com is digitizing and putting online
        > the records of the NARA (National Archives), but I don't know if that is
        > complete or if it is still in process? I know very little about the
        > content of the Godfrey Memorial Library. Also -- when I do a search in
        > Godfrey Library, I either get zero results --- or if I get results, when
        > I click on the result I get a message 'this page cannot be displayed'.
        > There must be some secret to searching this site. If anyone knows,
        > would you advise me so I can pass it on to my staff members?
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Louise Hustead, Director
        > Klamath Falls Oregon Stake FHC

      • T. Mason
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Louise Hustead <franklou2@...> wrote:

          > I would like to generate some excitement within the FHC staff for
          > getting into, and becoming familiar with, the new research sites
          > provided through the fhc.familysearch portal, namely, Footnote.com,
          > The Godfrey Memorial Library, World Vital Records, FamilyLink,
          > and HeritageQuest.
          >
          > Would someone help me with descriptions of what each site contains?

          The following is a description of the sites found in the most recent
          Silicon Valley PastFinder newsletter.

          Footnote (www.footnote.com)
          Footnote is a subscription-based Web site with images of original
          historical documents relating to American History. Footnote is
          currently working with FamilySearch to index the American
          Revolutionary War Pension files. Additional projects with FamilySearch
          are under development. Individuals with Footnote subscriptions can
          sign in at the Family History Centers to save, annotate, and upload
          content. Those without subscriptions can search and view the documents.

          Godfrey Memorial Library (www.godfrey.org)
          Godfrey Memorial Library has an extensive collection of newspapers,
          city and business directories, vital records, printed census records,
          state, county, and local histories, as well as numerous family
          histories, family bible records, and service and pension records.

          Heritage Quest/ProQuest (www.heritagequestonline.com)
          Heritage Quest online includes the complete U.S. Federal Census images
          from 1790 to 1930 including names and indexes for many of the sets.
          Users will be able to find people and places located in over 20,000
          publications of family and local histories and PERSI, an index of over
          1.9 million genealogy and local history articles. Other online
          databases include Revolutionary War Pension, Bounty-Land Warrant
          Application files, and the Freedman Bank Records. Access to this
          service will be limited to 1,400 family history centers in North America.

          Kindred Konnections (www.kindredkonnections.com)
          Kindred Konnections has more than 230 million pedigree linked names
          with submitter information. Additional databases include birth,
          marriage, death, and census records that are automatically searched
          along with the pedigree linked data.

          World Vital Records (www.worldvitalrecords.com)
          World Vital Records provides access to research helps and many
          international records, including parish registers, Scottish death
          records, UK marriages, and Irish prisoner records. There are more than
          300 newspapers with 100,000 pages added a month, and more than 500
          online databases, including vital, military, land, pension records,
          reference materials, family histories, maps, gazetteers, and
          international coops. Their partnership with Quintin Publications is
          expected to add more than 10,000 databases to the Web site.

          American Antiquarian Society Collections to be AvailableOnline
          ProQuest announced a partnership with the American Antiquarian Society
          (AAS) to place a large collection of the Society's materials online
          and make it available on microfilm. The material will be available
          through local libraries which subscribe to the Proquest service. One
          of the popular subscription services is HeritageQuest Online which has
          a large collection of genealogy data online. For our members living
          near Santa Clara, HeritageQuest is available at the Santa Clara and
          Saratoga libraries as well as other Santa Clara County libraries. The
          American Antiquarian Society is located in Worcester, Massachusetts.
          Their library contains genealogical material focusing on early North
          American lines of descent, including French-Canadian genealogies. The
          library is highly regarded by genealogists, and by scholars working on
          biographical, historical, and literary topics.
        • Sharon Huntwork
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007