Big Changes at Generations Network (Ancestry.com, Rootsweb, Genealogy.com)

  • beacon1ny
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
      Our FHC Director's son works for Generations Network in Provo.
      That's the parent company for Ancestry.com, Rootsweb and
      Genealogy.com

      Last week they laid off 75% of their work force. The owners are
      planning to sell everything and wanted a big profit margin to show
      potential buyers. Those who have worked for the company 2 years or
      more were kept on board. Tech support has been decimated. And,
      remember, last year, under new ownership, the call center in Provo
      was closed and their services outsourced to India.

      I wonder who the new owners will be and what kind of decisions they
      will make. It seems like the current owners didn't really understand
      the genealogy community and its goals. I know one of the officers
      used to work at Match.com

      Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I have so much
      posted out on Rootsweb and I'd hate to lose it.

      And all those folks out of work...
    • Steven Niedermeyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
        The church should buy it ;)

        On 9/10/07, beacon1ny <beacon1@...> wrote:

        > Our FHC Director's son works for Generations Network in Provo.
        > That's the parent company for Ancestry.com <http://ancestry.com/>,
        > Rootsweb and
        > Genealogy.com <http://genealogy.com/>
        >
        > Last week they laid off 75% of their work force. The owners are
        > planning to sell everything and wanted a big profit margin to show
        > potential buyers. Those who have worked for the company 2 years or
        > more were kept on board. Tech support has been decimated. And,
        > remember, last year, under new ownership, the call center in Provo
        > was closed and their services outsourced to India.
        >
        > I wonder who the new owners will be and what kind of decisions they
        > will make. It seems like the current owners didn't really understand
        > the genealogy community and its goals. I know one of the officers
        > used to work at Match.com <http://match.com/>
        >
        > Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I have so much
        > posted out on Rootsweb and I'd hate to lose it.
        >
        > And all those folks out of work...

      • Regine Brindle
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
          That would be cool!
          but the price tag is likely going to be a crazy one...)=

          Steven Niedermeyer <yahoo@...> wrote:
          The church should buy it ;)

          On 9/10/07, beacon1ny <beacon1@...> wrote:

          > Our FHC Director's son works for Generations Network in Provo.
          > That's the parent company for Ancestry.com <http://ancestry.com/>,
          > Rootsweb and
          > Genealogy.com <http://genealogy.com/>
          >
          > Last week they laid off 75% of their work force. The owners are
          > planning to sell everything and wanted a big profit margin to show
          > potential buyers. Those who have worked for the company 2 years or
          > more were kept on board. Tech support has been decimated. And,
          > remember, last year, under new ownership, the call center in Provo
          > was closed and their services outsourced to India.
          >
          > I wonder who the new owners will be and what kind of decisions they
          > will make. It seems like the current owners didn't really understand
          > the genealogy community and its goals. I know one of the officers
          > used to work at Match.com <http://match.com/>
          >
          > Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I have so much
          > posted out on Rootsweb and I'd hate to lose it.
          >
          > And all those folks out of work...

        • Ileen Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2007
            I contacted two local newspapers and the desk at Generations Network
            and they said this is not true.
            Richard Ensign
            Huntsville, Utah

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "beacon1ny" <beacon1@...> wrote:

            > Our FHC Director's son works for Generations Network in Provo.
            > That's the parent company for Ancestry.com, Rootsweb and
            > Genealogy.com
            >
            > Last week they laid off 75% of their work force. The owners are
            > planning to sell everything and wanted a big profit margin to show
            > potential buyers. Those who have worked for the company 2 years or
            > more were kept on board. Tech support has been decimated. And,
            > remember, last year, under new ownership, the call center in Provo
            > was closed and their services outsourced to India.
            >
            > I wonder who the new owners will be and what kind of decisions they
            > will make. It seems like the current owners didn't really understand
            > the genealogy community and its goals. I know one of the officers
            > used to work at Match.com
            >
            > Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I have so much
            > posted out on Rootsweb and I'd hate to lose it.
            >
            > And all those folks out of work...

          • Alan Whitcomb
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2007
              Look at the bottom of your ancestry.com website.. when I last looked it
              showed that it was owned by Thomson Gale.. I am been talking about this for
              quite a while, Thomson sold, or was trying to find an owner for that part of
              the company.

              On 9/11/07, Ileen Johnson <ileenjohnson@...> wrote:

              > I contacted two local newspapers and the desk at Generations Network
              > and they said this is not true.
              > Richard Ensign
              > Huntsville, Utah
              >
              > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "beacon1ny" <beacon1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Our FHC Director's son works for Generations Network in Provo.
              > > That's the parent company for Ancestry.com, Rootsweb and
              > > Genealogy.com
              > >
              > > Last week they laid off 75% of their work force. The owners are
              > > planning to sell everything and wanted a big profit margin to show
              > > potential buyers. Those who have worked for the company 2 years or
              > > more were kept on board. Tech support has been decimated. And,
              > > remember, last year, under new ownership, the call center in Provo
              > > was closed and their services outsourced to India.
              > >
              > > I wonder who the new owners will be and what kind of decisions they
              > > will make. It seems like the current owners didn't really understand
              > > the genealogy community and its goals. I know one of the officers
              > > used to work at Match.com
              > >
              > > Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I have so much
              > > posted out on Rootsweb and I'd hate to lose it.
              > >
              > > And all those folks out of work...

              > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • robertraymondut
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2007
                Alan,

                The Thomson Gale logo was at the bottom of the (predecessor to the)
                Ancestry Library Edition. Thomson Gale was a business partner with
                Ancestry and had no ownership. Ancestry's Library Edition is now
                distributed by Proquest and you'll find a Proquest logo at the
                bottom. (Just about a week ago they got the logo updated to
                Proquest's new logo.)

                I half remember what you're talking about, however. Between Thomson
                Gale and Proquest selling and trying to sell parts, I can't remember
                the exact situation you're thinking of.

                Robert

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Whitcomb" <alan.whitcomb@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 12, 2007
                  I understand TGN laid off a few people, probably less than 5%, spaced
                  pretty evenly among different departments. If any of you have HR
                  experience, you'll recognize this as standard practice in today's
                  large, healthy, well-run corporations.

                  Rather than India, last year the call center moved from southern
                  Provo to available space at the northern Provo corporate office. The
                  accompanying reduction eliminated the group in the call center whose
                  job was to talk customers out of cancelling subscriptions. In fact,
                  today one can cancel by clicking a button online. The new management
                  feels it is more advantageous to let people leave with positive
                  feelings about the company and try and win them back later with
                  better functionality and more records than it is to leave former
                  customers with evil feelings towards the company.

                  As for RootsWeb, I started worrying about it the day Ancestry bought
                  it. I'm quite pleased they haven't destroyed it (yet).

                  After spending a year out of work myself, I echo your concerns for
                  those, however few, that lost their jobs. Even in the best of
                  situations, it decimates a worker's self-confidence and shatters the
                  family's security. God bless them one and all.

                  Robert Raymond