Submitting GEDCOMs to new FamilySearch

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2007
      Found this on another list. Will prove extremely
      useful when we all get the program as it is rolled
      out.

      Problem

      There are discrepancies about when a GEDCOM should be
      added to the new FamilySearch. Some are receiving the
      answer that GEDCOMs should not be submitted. Others
      are being told to submit and check for duplicates.
      Others are being told to input a GEDCOM when the
      information is missing. What are the rules for
      submitting a GEDCOM, and when should it be submitted?
      Does size matter? Does the data (such as death dates
      not in GEDCOM) matter? What makes a GEDCOM good to
      submit?

      Resolution

      The primary purpose of the new FamilySearch is to
      eliminate duplicate temple ordinances. Keeping this in
      mind, before you add a GEDCOM, you should:
      Search for the individual.
      Combine all possible records for the individual.
      Add other opinions where necessary.
      Dispute major inaccuracies.
      Check the status of temple ordinances.
      After completing the above, if you have additional
      information that should be added, you may submit it by
      GEDCOM. It is best to submit a small GEDCOM (five
      generations or fewer) to reduce the number of new
      records that will need to be combined."

      As you can see, it is all right to submit GEDCOMs but
      we must be very careful we have done all our
      groundwork first or we will be inundated with even
      more duplicate records.