Re: [FHCNET] Re: TempleReady Submission Files to ur Temple

  • Russell Hltn
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 5, 2007
      I posted something about that back in 2003. Depending on how the
      floppy was formatted, the temple may see the disk as "unformatted".
      That didn't seem to quite match what people were describing, but it
      does match what you are saying.

      See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140060 for details.

      On 9/5/07, Peggy LeBlanc <pleblanc@...> wrote:
      > My husband figured out a solution recently at home for an
      > 'undreadable' disk. He said the disks or file was formatted for DOS
      > and not for Windows. That was why Windows could not see it. He was
      > able to get the data in DOS and save it to a CD. Our Windows XP could
      > read the file to prepare for TempleReady.

    • Winter Owl
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2007
        I just spoke with the Family History Library consultant that is involved with training Temple workers re: Temple Ready. He stated that all Temples should have computers with UBS ports and that when the directions says "Insert floppy disk, you simply redirect it to search the flash drive.
        They are writing written instructions to be sent out to all the temples about this.

        Robert

        Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote: The real problem with using floppies, besides the age of recycled floppies
        is the head alignment of the floppy drive. I still have some DOS programs
        that work in helping keep the floppy drive within certain tolerances".
        However .. in one year or so we will have new FamilySearch.

        I remember having to send a floppy to Salt Lake for an Ancestral File
        submission. While a pain, this is a vestige of the soon to be past. The
        real problem for the Temple (I do not KNOW this) is that the program they
        use is only designed to use floppies. Also there is an accountability issue
        if any file got lost. It is easier to lose a file (sent by email) than a
        floppy drive).

        Alan
        Still using Floppies in Spain

        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com