Re: TempleReady Submission Files to ur Temple

  • Peggy LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 5, 2007
      An observation and question on problems with floppy disks:

      After several years, and going from DOS TempleReady to Windows, with
      the additional problem of changing operating systems, there seems to
      be a pattern emerging with clashes with DOS vs Windows environments
      which affect the files read or prepared for TempleReady.

      I often had a problem with a patron's floppy being unreadable in our
      ward. Or the problem was the Temple could not read the disk created
      from our ward computer. We were using DOS Temple Ready then. Now we
      use TempleReady for Windows.

      The error message was the file was unreadable. The problem, I
      think,was an MSDOS formatted disk or file vs a Windows formatted disk
      or file.

      I had this problem when our ward computer was Win98 and the patron's
      was WinXP. The patron was asked to change the way she prepared her
      disk. Then I saw it again on XP. Same problem - unreadable disk.

      My husband figured out a solution recently at home for an
      'undreadable' disk. He said the disks or file was formatted for DOS
      and not for Windows. That was why Windows could not see it. He was
      able to get the data in DOS and save it to a CD. Our Windows XP could
      read the file to prepare for TempleReady.

      He went to DOS prompt and somehow got the data. The file was copied
      and saved to a temp file, I think. Then this file was burned to a CD
      (via Windows). Next, the file was prepared using TempleReady for Windows.

      In short, I think that if a floppy is 'unreadable' we should not give
      up on it. It may only be unreadable to Windows. If it is viewed via
      a DOS prompt, it may be salvageable.

      Does this hypothesis sound right to you?
      How does one avoid an issue like this? We have some older patrons who
      are slow to change and maybe will never get there.

      Many thanks for your thoughts on this.
      Peggy LeBlanc
      Kentville, NS Ward

      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:
      ><SNIP>
      > Floppies are not perfect either. There are drive alignment issues
      where disks used in one drive are not readable on other drives ( a
      problem that would affect both the submission and backup disks). The
      temples have not stopped accepting floppies simply because *some* are
      not readable.
      When we go to the bar codes, the paper might get smeared or damaged
      and the code not be readable. My dad used to say, "if the dog hadn't
      stopped he would have caught the cat". There are always exceptions.
      That does not mean the policy should be based on the exceptions.

      <SNIP>

    • Winter Owl
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2007
        I just spoke with the Family History Library consultant that is involved with training Temple workers re: Temple Ready. He stated that all Temples should have computers with UBS ports and that when the directions says "Insert floppy disk, you simply redirect it to search the flash drive.
        They are writing written instructions to be sent out to all the temples about this.

        Robert

        Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote: The real problem with using floppies, besides the age of recycled floppies
        is the head alignment of the floppy drive. I still have some DOS programs
        that work in helping keep the floppy drive within certain tolerances".
        However .. in one year or so we will have new FamilySearch.

        I remember having to send a floppy to Salt Lake for an Ancestral File
        submission. While a pain, this is a vestige of the soon to be past. The
        real problem for the Temple (I do not KNOW this) is that the program they
        use is only designed to use floppies. Also there is an accountability issue
        if any file got lost. It is easier to lose a file (sent by email) than a
        floppy drive).

        Alan
        Still using Floppies in Spain

        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com