Unusual Sources - Finding Civilian Employee Deaths overseas - War Dept

  • Tom Kemp
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2007
      I am always looking for people - in every possible resource.

      I found these obituaries and death records of American civilian
      employees of the Bureau of Education of the War Department in the
      Philippines. They all died in 1902 or 1903 and are recorded in the
      1904 annual report of the "War Department" You can find it in the US
      Serial Set - check with your college or larger public library to see
      if they have it in the US Government Documents collection.

      I found these on GenealogyBank.com and put digital copies of these
      pages on the web for everyone to see at: www.GenealogyBank.com/free

      I think that it is a good example of the unusual places that we can
      find genealogical information.

      It would be difficult to find a record of their death in the
      Philippines, giving this much additional information, anywhere else.

      Here is a list of the people named in this report.

      Allen, Joseph E. died 29 April 1903
      Baugh, Josephine, Mrs. died 22 Aug 1903
      Cooper, Price W. died 7 April 1903
      Gilliam, Walter died 7 July 1903
      Kirkpatrick, Joshua Bartlett died 14 Nov 1902
      Lutz, Marian, Mrs. died 24 July 1903
      Matthews, Walter Roy died 19 Feb 1903
      Montgomery, D.C. died 31 Oct 1902
      O'Donnell, John J., Jr. died 15 Aug 1903
      Osbon, Orman K. died 24 Jan 1903
      Ross, Mae I., Mrs. died 3 Jan 1903
      Skiff, Vernon E. died 2 Feb 1903
      Walker, Robert P. died 3 July 1903

      The details of their life, government service, cause of death and next
      of kin are given in the annual report.
      Even the description of the obscure grave markings and locations are
      given. Invaluable for genealogists.

      I have put the digital copies of these obits at: www.GenealogyBank.com/free

      One down, 200 Million resources to search.