Preparing for the new FamilySearch

  • T. Mason
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 9, 2007
      On July 24 we received the announcement letter from our "Area Family
      History Advisor" that we would be having the new FamilySearch roll
      out meeting on August 5. In that meeting we were told that our
      Orlando Temple district will go live on August 28. (Yes - only a
      month after receiving our notice.)

      It was emphasized in the meeting that they are really depending on
      FHC directors and all consultants to register and take the E-courses.
      The FHC directors received the well done roll out DVD while many of
      the priesthood leaders have not. The department staff were very
      careful to not appear to be directing the priesthood leaders. They
      did appeal to the leaders to call consultants (the key to the FH
      program), for them to encourage each family to prepare and submit as
      a beginning the first four generations of their family's records and
      they asked them to speak of the personal joy found in providing
      ordinances for their ancestors in the temple.

      There are a number of things about the program that are still
      awaiting engineer attention. I've been told more than once by support
      to be patient when I've written about different processes that need
      attention. For example, if TempleReady was used to prepare ordinance
      cards since 1 Jan 2007, the completed ordinance information will not
      likely be viewed in either the IGI or new FS for several months. By
      contrast if ordinances are completed using the new FS submission
      forms, when those ordinances are completed the information can be
      viewed the same day. Also realize that PAF Insight and other
      synchrony programs will not access the new FS database so you will
      have to manually enter "Submitted" into your personal records
      database and then also manually update your records with ordinance
      dates. These kind of problems will disappear when all temple
      districts have changed over to the new FS.

      Another interesting explanation concerned the use of GEDCOM
      submissions. If you have contributed any information before in
      Ancestral File or Pedigree Resource File, you need to realize that
      the first time you contribute with a GEDCOM file, you will create
      many duplicate records in the new FamilySearch that will need to be
      combined manually. If you plan on doing a submission with a GEDCOM
      file, it is strongly recommended that you use data management
      software that assigns unique record serial numbers (these numbers are
      also called Global Unique Identifiers or GUIDs). Therefore, it is
      important to carefully review what is in the database beforehand and
      to do small groups of GEDCOM submissions instead of flooding your
      personal records in the FamilySearch database with such a merging
      task to be done that you might become overwhelmed.

      Despite being concerned with adjustment problems, as I was combining
      records tonight, all of a sudden I realized one of my ancestral lines
      I've had blocked for years had four 3rd great grandparents and their
      children in the database. It is all very thrilling and overwhelming.
      How blessed we are to be participants in this historical moment.

      Terry Mason, Director
      Clermont FL FHC
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 10, 2007
        We had our training last night. I was a great training and yes they do want
        all of us registered on https://consultant.familysearch.org as far in
        advance as possible so we can begin receiving the e-mail notifications and
        take the training courses. Also, the DVD that they sent out to Directors and
        Bishops is available on newFamilySearch.org under the Help Center tab. After
        that go to Training & Resources, then click on the video link.

        I was surprised that they announced that the Orlando Temple would be going
        live on August 28. They also announced that all of the temples should be
        online within the next 12 months and that the program will be in 9
        languages. There are still some small glitches but as we work through them
        we will see the many blessings that this program will have.

        I have been using the program for over a month and have been adding small
        parts of my PAF records each time I go on because you do have to check for
        duplicates and merge the information. The merge duplicates is very efficient
        and happens instantly as you enter your persons name.

        My family are converts but I was amazed to see how close we are to Mormon
        members from our family. I have found several ancestors that show up in the
        program as pioneers who actually made the trek from England to Salt Lake.
        This has opened up an entirely new side of my family that I never knew
        about.

        Miles Meyer
        Jacksonville, FL

      • T. Mason
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 10, 2007
          Opps - I incorrectly indicated the roll out meeting was on August 5.
          It was held Tuesday, August 7.

        • Rumykin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 11, 2007
            I attending the BYU conference on Family History and Genealogy and went to a
            class by Jim Greene (product manager for the Family and Church History
            department) about the New Family Search and also got to go to a computer lab and
            use the live program part of that time Jim Greene was at my side helping me
            with the program and seeing a problem and working with me on it. We also a
            keynote speaker on Thursday morning Craig Miller (Director, Member Needs, LDS
            Family and Church History Department).

            Here are some important notes that I took from this speakers.

            1. St Louis and Reno Temples are live - Reno just went live at week - so
            probably July 31st.
            2. Greater Salt Lake area will be last - need to get all the bugs worked
            out. The system will be updated twice before the Great Salt Lake area gets it.
            3. DO NOT go in and upload your GEDCOM files - LOOK BEFORE YOU LOAD!! Over
            90% will already be there. You will need to check very carefully and do
            merging and then go back and do more merging - you think you merge everyone and
            then by merging you then will get more possible duplicates. So only GEDCOM in
            files of NEW information so you dont create more duplication. Also it was
            recommended that your GEDCOM files be in small batches of 100 names or less.
            Let not overload the system right away. They suggested possibly being
            patient and wait 6 months before uploading a file. I know it will be hard.
            4. They have found some temple work not listed and they are working on it
            (i.e. female endowments from SLAKE between 1913-1930 we missed. So before you
            add things in send feedback to them and give them a chance to fix it.
            5. When you get on the system they recommend merging and sending feedback
            to correct issues you find. (I already had to create an excel file to keep
            track of all my case ID numbers on feedback I have sent)
            6. BIG THING is to be PATIENT. This was a huge undertaking and will not be
            without problems - believe me I have some. I like to think "I never said it
            would be easy, but it will be worth it" By jumping in and adding more will
            only case more duplication which is what we are trying to get away from.

            I hope I have said all of this in a way that you can understand and I also
            understand that many others were at the same conference I was at and probably
            have different notes from the same people - this is just what I wrote down -
            writing as fast as I could and then going back and trying to understand what
            I wrote.

            Enjoy reading the list, Amy in Colorado

          • Venita Roylance
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 12, 2007
              You have some exciting times ahead!

              May I suggest that to avoid unnecessary duplicate records, every
              member should discover what records new FamilySearch already has
              before submitting a gedcom. Even new converts are often surprised to
              find that some of their ancestors' information is included among the
              multitude of files in the 'pot.' Checking first will help decrease
              the number of records that will need to be combined before creating a
              temple submission. When it is determined that the information is not
              already there, by all means submit it either by small gedcom or by
              manually typing it in.

              Yours,

              Venita

              PS: Encourage users to send feedback, both praises and suggestions
              for improvements.

              Homepage: Family History and Other Fascination
              http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

              Do you know about the Utah South Area Family History Training Center?
              Check it out at http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

            • T. Mason
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 13, 2007
                Well, let me update you on our roll-out "Progress". The roll-out DVD
                was sent to me as a director but the local priesthood leaders didn't
                have one. The DVD is divided into three chapters: (First) Elder
                Marlin K. Jensen introduces the new process; (Second) Elder Jensen
                does a question & answer session which addresses questions that
                Priesthood and Family History Leader might have; (Third) Brad
                Christensen presents the Benefits of the new process and how the
                system works. There are also three pdf files which are detailed
                reviews of each of three presentations.

                In the roll-out meeting they showed the first DVD chapter to ward and
                stake Priesthood leaders. These leaders went away from the meeting
                with real enthusiasm. IF THEY HAVE REGISTERED as priesthood leaders
                at https://consultant.familysearch.org/consultant/start.do then they
                will immediately be able to look at the training that consultants use
                for e-lessons and when the program is rolled out into your district
                they will be able to register beforehand and get right into
                experiencing what they will be asking their members to do.

                At the roll-out meeting I was sure that our stake high council
                advisor had his copy of the DVD and that he agreed that after the
                meeting I could place copies of the DVD into the hands of the HPGLs
                who supervise our consultants/staff who serve in our Family History
                Center. I suggested those HPGLs might show the second chapter of the
                DVD to their respective ward councils and circulate and discuss a
                printout of the second pdf file.

                Then I obtained priesthood clearance and have circulated an open
                invitation to the members of the units served by our center inviting
                them to come to the center where we will hold a workshop and help
                them register and be introducted to the new FamilySearch process. As
                part of that introduction, we will show them the third chapter of the
                DVD. In that setting we will also express our willingness to help and
                be "on call".

                I've also encouraged that the stake and ward Priesthood leaders
                emphasize one goal that was stated by the FH administrator in the
                roll-out meeting, "We would like you to encourage all families in
                your stake as a beginning, to update and submit the first four
                generations of their family records into the new FamilySearch."

                When we get into the helping the members process, then is when we
                will have to concern ourselves with problems associated with things
                like "gathering" or merging of duplications, not submitting GEDCOM
                files, missing data, requesting reassignment of contributor PIDs, etc.

                Terry Mason
                Clermont, FL

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Venita Roylance <venitar@...> wrote:

                > You have some exciting times ahead!
                >
                > May I suggest that to avoid unnecessary duplicate records, every
                > member should discover what records new FamilySearch already has
                > before submitting a gedcom. Even new converts are often surprised
                > find that some of their ancestors' information is included among
                the
                > multitude of files in the 'pot.' Checking first will help decrease
                > the number of records that will need to be combined before creating
                > temple submission. When it is determined that the information is
                not
                > already there, by all means submit it either by small gedcom or by
                > manually typing it in.
                >
                > Yours,
                > Venita
              • DearMYRTLE
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 13, 2007
                  Registration (with my membership ID and ward unit number) as a Family
                  History Consultant at:
                  https://consultant.familysearch.org/consultant/start.do

                  returns the following error message:
                  "The requested resource
                  (/consultant/WEB-INF/view/include/en_US/consultant_finish.html) is not
                  available "

                  Having just received the calling & been set apart in this ward, I was
                  advised by our coordinator to register.
                  Can't do it today.

                  Pat Richley
                  Bellevue First Ward
                  Bellevue, WA Stake
                • Louise Hustead
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 13, 2007
                    Dave, this is how the roll-out process of the 'new Family Search' is
                    happening in Florida. Louise

                  • k7vvu@juno.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 15, 2007
                          Beginning Tuesday, August 28, the new process for printing temple name cards using Family Ordinance Requests will be used in the Billings Montana Temple. New FamilySearch will be available to the general membership of the Church who live in the Billings Montana temple district early in the morning on the previous Saturday, August 25, 2007. No additional notice will be sent to priesthood leaders or members of the Church in the Billings Montana temple district concerning these dates.

                          We ask that family history consultants and center directors encourage members who have existing TempleReady disks to take them to the temple and have their temple name cards printed before August 28. Beginning immediately, please do not create any new TempleReady disks in your family history centers for processing at the Billings Montana Temple.

                          If you have not done so already, please complete the new FamilySearch online training prior to August 28 in preparation for helping members to use new FamilySearch as part of the new process for preparing ancestral names for the temple. Please contact FamilySearch Support by e-mail or phone if you have any questions or problems.

                        • Sue Barnsley
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 15, 2007
                            What happened to the training?

[...]

                          • Penney Devey
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 23, 2007
                              Training is available to the registered consultants via a login.

[...]

                              ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ****
                              When life hands you lemons, auction them on
                              E-Bay and buy yourself a big chocolate shake!

                            • gturn55
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                The training must only be available to registered consultants in the
                                Temple districts coming online. I am registered and those lessons
                                are not available to me yet. (In Salt Lake County)

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                  I thought that when I first saw the email, later upon signing in, I too was
                                  proved correct.

                                  Alan
                                  FHC Pamplona, Spain

                                  On 8/24/07, gturn55 <gturn55@...> wrote:

                                  > The training must only be available to registered consultants in the
                                  > Temple districts coming online. I am registered and those lessons
                                  > are not available to me yet. (In Salt Lake County)
                                  >
                                  > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Penney Devey <padevey@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Training is available to the registered consultants via a login.

                                  <snip>

                                • Winter Owl
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                    That is true.
                                    There will be a period of time before the actual roll-out when the FHC people will be able to go on-line and learn the system. Until then it's just Church workers.

                                    Robert

                                    gturn55 <gturn55@...> wrote: The training must only be available to registered consultants in the
                                    Temple districts coming online. I am registered and those lessons
                                    are not available to me yet. (In Salt Lake County)

                                  • therese logan
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                      We recently had stake training by the regional FHC director. He said the southeast temples would be next after Orlando. Haven't received any info yet so was wondering if anyone knows what the status of the southeast is.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                          We recently had stake training by the regional FHC director. He said the southeast temples would be next after Orlando. Haven't received any info yet so was wondering if anyone knows what the status of the southeast is.

                                        • Terri J.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                            I am in the Southeast (Raleigh, North Carolina), and so far, we are in the
                                            dark. :)
                                            or do I mean :( ?

                                            -wondering where the light switch is, Terri J.

                                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                            2:59 PM
                                          • hkwyatt@juno.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                                              We were told that the southeast temples would go online with the nFS after Orlando. I talked to my "source" in SL and was told that there will probably be a delay so they can fix some of the "bugs" in the program. It could be after the first of the year before we go online with it, unless they fix the problems sooner than expected.
                                              Kelly

                                            • Joan Raney
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 25, 2007
                                                I'm also in the southeast (Charlotte, NC) and our temple district is
                                                Columbia, SC. Still haven't heard anything about the new
                                                FamilySearch--that is, except on the listserv here.

                                                Maybe we're not considered southeast, but my ancestors from South
                                                Carolina were good ole boys who fought in the Confederate Army...

                                                Joan in NC

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 25, 2007
                                                  Uh, gals? Aren't Charlotte and Raleigh part of the
                                                  Mid-Atlantic? (g)

                                                  Cheryl

                                                  --
                                                  There should be no attachments on this message, unless I
                                                  specifically mentioned them above.
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 25, 2007
                                                    Today is the first official day for members to sign on to new FamilySearch
                                                    in the Orlando temple district. I have already taught three classes over the
                                                    last two weeks trying to get people ready for the transition. I will be
                                                    teaching another class during the 5th Sunday in September. This will be a
                                                    real change for many of them, especially those who are not that comfortable
                                                    with the internet.

                                                    The people who have completed my classes are very impressed with the new
                                                    process. One of them showed up last week to have me help her get her info
                                                    online just before she moved to Texas where they won't have access for
                                                    another few months.

                                                    Miles

                                                  • Terri J.
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 25, 2007
                                                      Huh, guess it depends on who you ask, lol.

                                                      Charlotte's right next to SC and GA though, which I consider to definitely
                                                      be southeast (I mean, can't get much further south at that point and if you
                                                      need more east, then you're basically left with FL, so why bother saying
                                                      southeast? heehee). Guess I'd have to see the list of divisions to know for
                                                      sure where NC fits in. ;)

                                                      Is Utah midwest, for example? I know some people west of the Rockies that
                                                      think so, but others east of the Rockies don't. Ah well, we'll just have to
                                                      continue "patiently" waiting our turn, wherever we are in line. :P

                                                      -Terri J.

                                                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                                      2:59 PM
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 26, 2007
                                                        I think part of it is the different terms used by different
                                                        disciplines of study -- when I was taking Cultural
                                                        Geography, I found it mildly amusing that Savannah wasn't on
                                                        the savannah, and that Tidewater Virginia wasn't where the
                                                        Virginians think it is. Then Sociology wanted to divide the
                                                        country another way, Linquistics another, geologists have a
                                                        completely different set of terms, marketing slices us up
                                                        bizarrely, and Census Bureau as always hears a different
                                                        drummer ...

                                                        Who AM I and what am I doing where?! ;)

                                                        Cheryl

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 26, 2007
                                                          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, therese logan <therese.logan@...>
                                                          wrote:
                                                          > We recently had stake training by the regional FHC director. He
                                                          said the southeast temples would be next after Orlando. Haven't
                                                          received any info yet so was wondering if anyone knows what the
                                                          status of the southeast is.

                                                          > gturn55 <gturn55@...> wrote:
                                                          > The training must only be available to registered consultants in
                                                          the Temple districts coming online. I am registered and those lessons
                                                          are not available to me yet. (In Salt Lake County)

                                                          > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Penney Devey <padevey@> wrote:
                                                          > > Training is available to the registered consultants via a login.
                                                          In our Orlando Temple district, registered FHC directors, consultants
                                                          and Priesthood Leaders had access to on-line training in the new
                                                          FamilySearch for about 60 days before we received our announcement.
                                                          We then received the written announcement about 30 days before the
                                                          roll-out date. At that point all those who had pre-registered have
                                                          been able to go into the new FS ahead of all members in the temple
                                                          district. Did all pre-register and were they ready for a big start?
                                                          Sorry to say, almost all had procrastinated. There seems to be so
                                                          much calling for the attention of our people.

                                                          The program will be wonderful and overwhelming when it is fully
                                                          developed and all are using it. BUT RIGHT NOW, it has some problems
                                                          that are being correctly addressed. For example, if you find
                                                          information that you originally contributed, and would like to claim
                                                          it so that you can edit, correct, or delete it - at this time the
                                                          process to claim that personal id ownership function is not working.
                                                          Another example is that the entry fields for notes and source actual
                                                          text are restricted which limits the ability to collaborate with
                                                          others. Another example is that when a name is accidentally or
                                                          purposely reserved for ordinance work, there is no means to ever
                                                          return it back so that others can have opportunity to select that
                                                          name to do the ordinance. Either it must be released to Temple File
                                                          or the individual selecting the name must process it. That has
                                                          implications about whether you as a consultant would help an
                                                          inexperienced youth register without parental permission. A final
                                                          example is that when you submit a name for ordinance work, there is
                                                          no means for you to update your own database using a syncrony program
                                                          such as PAF Insight. You will have to manually type data into your
                                                          personal records to keep it current. So don't be too anxious to
                                                          hasten the program roll out to your district.

                                                          It may be "awhile" before another district is allowed to register. As
                                                          Jim Anderson reported on July 31, "before the Wasatch Front is
                                                          allowed to register, the program will have gone through at least two
                                                          major updates between now and late next summer. I like some of you,
                                                          struggle to be patient, but the department wants the program to work
                                                          as it is designed. It is important that when it does roll out that it
                                                          works so that we all start by learning correct habits and procedures.
                                                          What in the meantime should be done to prepare? (1st) Get
                                                          consultants/staff to register at consultant.familysearch.org and get
                                                          Priesthood leaders who oversee temple and family history work to
                                                          register at priesthood.familysearch.org for the E-learning courses.
                                                          The new FamilySearch course will be added about 90 days before your
                                                          district rolls out. (2nd) Teach each family in your ward and stake to
                                                          verify the accuracy of their family history records.

                                                          Terry Mason, Director
                                                          Clermont FL FHC