How is NewFamilySearch working?

  • Enoch or Marge
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple district where the new temple submission process has been introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are handling the training and how is it working?
      Marge Bell, Oakland CA

    • Winter Owl
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
        From the other end, it seems to be working well. There are a lot of calls at time as well as a lot of slack time. Not reading or following the instructions cause calls, as do the forgetting of user names/passwords.
        We do find an occasional "Oh Yeah, we could do this to make it easier," and send it on to the programmers, but it seems to be a keeper!

        Robert

        Enoch or Marge <enoch_marge@...> wrote: Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple district where the new temple submission process has been introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are handling the training and how is it working?
        Marge Bell, Oakland CA

        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Russell Hltn
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
          I think the reason is that it's only deployed in a handful of
          districts at this point. Our list isn't all that big, so, so far it
          hasn't made it's way to any of our group. :(

          On 6/29/07, Enoch or Marge <enoch_marge@...> wrote:
          > Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple district where the new temple submission process has been introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are handling the training and how is it working?
          > Marge Bell, Oakland CA

        • Winter Owl
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
            There are about 60 FHCs in the St. Louis Temple District, in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas, that now have access to the nFS web site. There are also many Church employees who also have access, but can not input "Temple Ready" type activity as they are not in the St. Louis Temple District.

            Robert

            Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote: I think the reason is that it's only deployed in a handful of

            On 6/29/07, Enoch or Marge wrote:
            > Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple district where the new temple submission process has been introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are handling the training and how is it working?
            > Marge Bell, Oakland CA

            or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rebecca Christensen
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
              My sister-in-law lives in the St. Louis temple district. A couple of weeks ago she mentioned that she had printed out the training information as she is/was? a FHC volunteer. She was called as RS president the day after she mentioned the new FamilySearch training material.
              So, I don't have much to add to this conversation, but I do know that the training process is starting.

              Rebecca Christensen

              Winter Owl <rhvann@...> wrote:
              There are about 60 FHCs in the St. Louis Temple District, in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas, that now have access to the nFS web site. There are also many Church employees who also have access, but can not input "Temple Ready" type activity as they are not in the St. Louis Temple District.

              Robert

              Russell Hltn wrote: I think the reason is that it's only deployed in a handful of
              districts at this point. Our list isn't all that big, so, so far it
              hasn't made it's way to any of our group. :(

              On 6/29/07, Enoch or Marge wrote:
              > Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple district where the new temple submission process has been introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are handling the training and how is it working?
              > Marge Bell, Oakland CA

              or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Terri J.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
                I found it interesting that when you call the tollfree helpline the first
                choice you are given is "if you are calling about the new FamilySearch,
                press 1". I have assumed that meant support for it has been given high
                priority. I haven't chosen "1" so I don't know the quality of help received
                after that, but to me it says the Church has concentrated a lot of resources
                towards getting it going, even if somewhat quietly. :)

                -Terri J.

                > On 6/29/07, Enoch or Marge wrote:
                > > Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple
                > district where the new temple submission process has been
                > introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't
                > seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to
                > secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are
                > handling the training and how is it working?
                > > Marge Bell, Oakland CA

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                5:57 PM
              • Winter Owl
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
                  There is a specially trained team to specifically handle nFS questions. Pressing 1 directs your call to one of them.

                  Robert

                  "Terri J." <tjaskolka@...> wrote: I found it interesting that when you call the tollfree helpline the first
                  choice you are given is "if you are calling about the new FamilySearch,
                  press 1". I have assumed that meant support for it has been given high
                  priority. I haven't chosen "1" so I don't know the quality of help received
                  after that, but to me it says the Church has concentrated a lot of resources
                  towards getting it going, even if somewhat quietly. :)

                  -Terri J.

                  > On 6/29/07, Enoch or Marge wrote:
                  > > Hi all - I keep expecting someone working in a temple
                  > district where the new temple submission process has been
                  > introduced to tell us how it is going. Instead I haven't
                  > seen word one since the first roll out. Is everyone sworn to
                  > secrecy? Please one of you, take time to tell us how you are
                  > handling the training and how is it working?
                  > > Marge Bell, Oakland CA

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  5:57 PM

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
                    I think that was there even before Beta2. Back then it was probably
                    to keep people from clogging the support lines just to be told "It's
                    not ready yet - wait". <grin>

                    On 6/29/07, Terri J. <tjaskolka@...> wrote:
                    > I found it interesting that when you call the tollfree helpline the first
                    > choice you are given is "if you are calling about the new FamilySearch,
                    > press 1". I have assumed that meant support for it has been given high
                    > priority. I haven't chosen "1" so I don't know the quality of help received
                    > after that, but to me it says the Church has concentrated a lot of resources
                    > towards getting it going, even if somewhat quietly. :)
                    >
                    > -Terri J.

                  • Terri J.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                      It was available then (as beta support?) and this is what impresses me, that
                      the Church set up (and IS still working on) the support infrastructure well
                      in advance of the anticipated need. It seems to be a secret service though,
                      because they don't talk about what they are doing and so people who have
                      been around awhile may not be aware that the way things are being done have
                      changed drastically. At least I haven't seen/heard a thorough explanation
                      and have had to kind of piece together the parts of the picture for myself.
                      Usually all you see talking about support is "call this number for support"
                      which is no different than it has been for years. So many may not realize or
                      have heard explained about the service missionaries, knowledgebase, extended
                      availability, remote help, etc. that is now available behind that phone
                      call.

                      So maybe the PR department should get into gear and start letting people
                      know these things? Ya know, "New & Improved!" ;)

                      -Terri J.

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      2:15 PM
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                        I have as an assistant in a high priest group
                        leadership been assigned to take care of family
                        history matters other than what the HPGL himself can
                        only do, so I am trying to keep my ward's three
                        consultants updated on the NFS project and am also
                        working to get everything ready for its arrival here
                        in Provo.

                        I think it was mentioned on the list about a year ago
                        when the call went out for FH missionaries that they
                        needed a thousand just for the phone/email support
                        teams. That was important. The LDS Tech site has
                        seen some interesting discussions about the
                        just-concluded beta and other things, and some of that
                        helped too.

                        The report of very few problems other than
                        garden-variety signin/lost password problems, etc.,
                        has also said something about it all too.

                        Need Mail bonding?
                      • Gary Nevels
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                          I just returned from the St. Louis Temple for a youth temple baptism trip.
                          We took both TempleReady diskettes and NewFamilySearch ordinance submission
                          forms. The temple would only accept the NewFamilySearch temple submission
                          forms. They would not accept the TempleReady submission files. We were told
                          at the temple that they will no longer accept TempleReady submissions. This
                          was a shock, as we understood both systems would work for a while. We
                          learned otherwise. So don't send patrons with TempleReady files to a temple
                          that has switched over to NewFamilySearch. We were instructed that in the St
                          Louis Temple District if a member wants to brings names to the St Louis
                          Temple, they must bring NewFamilySearch ordinance submission forms.
                          Otherwise, everything worked wonderful. It was a simple and efficient
                          process to clear the names through NewFamilySearch in the convenience of
                          your own home, print the ordinance submission forms, take them to the
                          temple, and complete the ordinances. I will be looking soon to see if the
                          resulting ordinances will reflected in NewFamilySearch in a timely manner.

                        • Rebecca Christensen
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                            If this is the case, it is important that ALL members (not just those in the temple districts using new FamilySearch) are made aware of which temples at this time accept only the new FamilySearch submissions. Since local members have to drive at least four hours to our temple, some members also attend the St. Louis Temple as it is almost as close but open many more hours. I have helped several members make temple submission files to take to other temples as they are visiting families with temples closer to them or are planning a temple experience as part of a family gathering. They often plan to have family members help them with the ordinances. It would be sad that after they make the effort to take family names to the temple that the procedures at the temple won't allow them to do the work after traveling many hours. At least with the knowledge beforehand that we don't have the required software, disappointment at the temple might be avoided.

                            Thanks for the heads up on the St. Louis temple.

                            Rebecca Christensen

                            Gary Nevels <gnevels@...> wrote:
[...]

                          • Don Anderson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                              The new FamilySearch will allow the upload of TempleReady submission
                              disks. Any temple that is using the new FamilySearch will be able to
                              accept a TempleReady submission disk and process it. They will do this
                              by becoming a helper for the member in the new FamilySearch, uploading
                              the Gedcom, and submitting it via new FamilySearch.

                              The reverse it not true, however. Temples which have not been
                              converted to the new FamilySearch cannot print cards from an FOR
                              (Family Ordinance Request printed from new FamilySearch). If a member
                              goes to a temple which has not converted to the new system to print
                              cards from an FOR they will either need to wait until they are back at
                              their temple or they will need to process the names in TempleReady so
                              the temple can print the cards.

                              The temples as well as the Family History Department are trying to
                              discourage members from using TempleReady if the temple district in
                              which they reside has converted to the new FamilySearch. Family
                              history centers in the St Louis temple district will shortly be asked
                              to uninstall TempleReady from their systems.

                              Thanks.

                              Don

                              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Christensen <rchristen@...>

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                                This has been reported to Salt Lake to see what is going on. They say that the error is in St. Louis. More Monday!

                                Robert

                                Rebecca Christensen <rchristen@...> wrote: If this is the case, it is important that ALL members (not just those in the temple districts using new FamilySearch) are made aware of which temples at this time accept only the new FamilySearch submissions. Since local members have to drive at least four hours to our temple, some members also attend the St. Louis Temple as it is almost as close but open many more hours. I have helped several members make temple submission files to take to other temples as they are visiting families with temples closer to them or are planning a temple experience as part of a family gathering. They often plan to have family members help them with the ordinances. It would be sad that after they make the effort to take family names to the temple that the procedures at the temple won't allow them to do the work after traveling many hours. At least with the knowledge beforehand that we don't have the required software,

                                Gary Nevels wrote:
[...]

                              • paulsstarrabbittree
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                                  >I will be looking soon to see if the
                                  > resulting ordinances will reflected in NewFamilySearch in a timely
                                  manner.

                                  I can answer that- I did Baptisms at 6:00 Friday night in St. Louis
                                  and I check this morning (a little over 12 hrs) and the ordinances
                                  were updated on new family search. Very Impressive!

                                  However, not so impressive so far is it's ablility to find uncombine
                                  records for me. Be careful! -- you can easily not find all the
                                  records and the temple work. But if the work is combined with enough
                                  other records the program is impressive. So with longtime member
                                  templework, it's my opinion this will stop soooooo much of the
                                  dupicate temple work. However, This program is not as automatic as
                                  you might think. I have had to search, and check for dupt. going
                                  back and forth working the generations forward and backward, to find
                                  the records in the database. I don't think most people will work as
                                  hard or know they need to work that hard. However, I do think it's
                                  better then when I beta tested. With our help, I hope they make it
                                  better to catch more of the single ordinances.

                                  What I don't know and hope someone can help me test is: (I have got
                                  two different answers from "support" and another answer from the
                                  temple)
                                  - None of my 70+ ordinance submitted since Dec 2006 are in
                                  NewSearch, I would like it if someone not in St. Louis temple
                                  district that has submmited in "TempleReady" ordinance for clearing
                                  since Jan 2007 would share their information so I could try to look-
                                  up and see if their ordinances are in new FamilySearch. And if any
                                  one has submitted this last week (afterJune 26 2007)I would also like
                                  to check that too. My e-mail is paulsstarrabbittree@...

                                  Also anyone in St Louis temple district that has submitted ordinances
                                  after dec 2006 maybe in danger of someone dupt. your ordinances if
                                  they are using newFamilySearch and your ordinances are not up. You
                                  may want to check and see if your ordinances are up and if not safe
                                  guide them.
                                • Don Anderson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
                                    --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "paulsstarrabbittree"
                                    There is currently a backlog in new FamilySearch for ordinances that
                                    were submitted via the TempleReady process on or after Jan 1, 2007.
                                    All ordinances prior to Jan 1, 2007 were loaded into new FamilySearch
                                    when the information was loaded to the database. The ordinances
                                    since then which were submitted via TempleReady are in process of
                                    being loaded.

                                    A note will shortly be sent to the family history consultants and
                                    family history center directors explaining this. Ordinances which
                                    are prepared in new FamilySearch will show up within a day once they
                                    are completed, but there will be a lag for those ordinances submitted
                                    via TempleReady since Jan 1, 2007. Should you have any questions
                                    about ordinances submitted either via TempleReady or the new
                                    FamilySearch please do not hesitate to contact FamilySearch support
                                    at 1-866-406-1830 or e-mail to support@....

                                    Don

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
                                      Will any of these where the cards were printed at the
                                      temple show 'cleared' rather than dates? This example
                                      would only be the case if the submitter took the
                                      diskette to the temple and the temple printed the
                                      cards.

                                      --- Don Anderson <fhc@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "paulsstarrabbittree"
                                      >
                                      > There is currently a backlog in new FamilySearch for
                                      > ordinances that
                                      > were submitted via the TempleReady process on or
                                      > after Jan 1, 2007.
                                      > All ordinances prior to Jan 1, 2007 were loaded into
                                      > new FamilySearch
                                      > when the information was loaded to the database.
                                      > The ordinances
                                      > since then which were submitted via TempleReady are
                                      > in process of
                                      > being loaded.
                                      >
                                      > A note will shortly be sent to the family history
                                      > consultants and
                                      > family history center directors explaining this.
                                      > Ordinances which
                                      > are prepared in new FamilySearch will show up within
                                      > a day once they
                                      > are completed, but there will be a lag for those
                                      > ordinances submitted
                                      > via TempleReady since Jan 1, 2007. Should you have
                                      > any questions
                                      > about ordinances submitted either via TempleReady or
                                      > the new
                                      > FamilySearch please do not hesitate to contact
                                      > FamilySearch support
                                      > at 1-866-406-1830 or e-mail to
                                      > support@....
                                      >
                                      > Don
                                      >
                                      > <paulsstarrabbittree@...> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > What I don't know and hope someone can help me
                                      > test is: (I have got
                                      > > two different answers from "support" and another
                                      > answer from the
                                      > > temple)
                                      > > - None of my 70+ ordinance submitted since Dec
                                      > 2006 are in
                                      > > NewSearch, I would like it if someone not in St.
                                      > Louis temple
                                      > > district that has submmited in "TempleReady"
                                      > ordinance for clearing
                                      > > since Jan 2007 would share their information so I
                                      > could try to look-
                                      > > up and see if their ordinances are in new
                                      > FamilySearch. And if any
                                      > > one has submitted this last week (afterJune 26
                                      > 2007)I would also
                                      > like
                                      > > to check that too. My e-mail is
                                      > paulsstarrabbittree@...
                                      > >
                                      > > Also anyone in St Louis temple district that has
                                      > submitted
                                      > ordinances
                                      > > after dec 2006 maybe in danger of someone dupt.
                                      > your ordinances if
                                      > > they are using newFamilySearch and your ordinances
                                      > are not up. You
                                      > > may want to check and see if your ordinances are
                                      > up and if not safe
                                      > > guide them.

                                      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                    • paulsstarrabbittree
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
                                        Thanks for your commits, Don. I had ask "support" about my missing
                                        ordnances and one answer was no ordnances after dec. 2006 using
                                        Temple ready was loaded. And it would take to the end of year before
                                        they would be loaded. The 2nd answer I got said since this was not
                                        a beta test all ordnances were uploaded except a few thousand they
                                        were having trouble with. When I went to the St. Louis temple they
                                        told me only our district and maybe some of the other districts that
                                        will soon get newFamilySearch are not upload from dec 2006 to now,
                                        and it would be about 8 months before they would come on line.
                                        So that's the reason I had ask for ordinances others had submitted
                                        using "temple Ready" since Jan and then since June 26 to see what
                                        ordinances are really on newFamilySearch ---so far I've got any
                                        takers so I don't really don't know how these situations are actually
                                        working. Any ordinances that is not on NewFamilySearch is in danger
                                        of possible being dupt. A big question is for the next 6 or 8 months
                                        will all ordinances prepared in temple ready not be load into new
                                        family search? And is that all ordinances submitted in the whole
                                        world or just a few areas since dec to now that's not loaded up.

                                        Rosemary

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
                                          So far I've only heard two districts, St. Louis, and
                                          Reno, NV. I haven't heard of any others although
                                          there is news if they say several more districts but
                                          didn't name names.

                                          Some of us should check with members we have worked
                                          with and see what if anything is either on or not on
                                          the system.

                                          Also, do the submitted names show up on the present
                                          site and not the 'new' site? That would be
                                          interesting to find out.

                                          I'm going to check a name I got just the other day in
                                          Provo to see if it's on the old system. Will
                                          follow-up right away.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
                                            This was sent earlier directly to the list owner, I just re-post.

                                            I have found another situation that I think people need to be aware of.
                                            FamilySearch support tells me that they are working to fix this soon.

                                            Two of my ancestors showed missing sealings in the new FamilySearch.
                                            But I was able to find them in the old FamilySearch. Both sealings were
                                            done while the members were living but spouse and parents were by
                                            proxy. The temple records did not automatically combine with the
                                            membership records in the new FamilySearch. Since the living ordinance
                                            temple records do not have a death date, they are treated as living
                                            persons, and the records cannot be seen in the new FamilySearch. I
                                            emailed support about the first one which they combined for me, and it
                                            now shows up in new FamilySearch. They haven't combined the second one
                                            yet, as I imagine they are trying to fix this problem globally. So I
                                            reserved the ordinances so they don't get duplicated.

                                            Otherwise, the new FamilySearch is great!

                                            -Mike
                                            michael.bybee@...