Affiliate Software Programs

  • T. Mason
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2007
      In a post by "Glen Ballard" on Sun May 20, 2007 following his reply
      to the subject of "Re: Projecting a slide show" he insert this
      advertising:
      -------------------
      P. S. Check out Legacy Family Tree today! This full featured
      genealogy program can be downloaded FREE at
      http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com
      -------------------

      Legacy is but one of the approved FamilySearch "Affiliate Vendors"
      listed in the "4th Quarter 2006 Family History Memorandum". Legacy
      has some things that leave a lot to be desired in my eyes. If this
      is a forum where there is a voice for advertising for Legacy then we
      also need to review its limitations.

      I am very committed to using PAF. It is free and well supported with
      tutorials from Church resources and BYU. Some time ago I inquired if
      corrections could be made to PAF software and was told that the
      Church FH department has no intention to upgrade PAF. I think PAF is
      very adequate and as a FHC director I will continue to promote it in
      FHC classes and to train FH consultants in its use.

      PAFWiz is produced by Ancestral Quest and it is also an approved
      affiliate vendor program and available for free to all family history
      centers. It is available at http://www.ancquest.com/pafwiz/ . PAFWiz
      has provided all the corrections to PAF that I needed plus it has
      provided many more enhancements. Their well done tutorials offer good
      training.

      PAFWiz is committed to using all the features now within our PAF
      databases without our having to "convert" our data to meet the unique
      features of Legacy or RootsMagic. For example, it is possible to
      place confidential notes in PAF with a tilde (~). PAFWiz directly
      accesses the PAF database without having to convert it to a GEDCOM
      file. All PAF features continue to be used. PAFWiz does not modify
      the database so that you can continue using PAF too and that allows
      the patron to use something they are familiar with. (If you convert
      your PAF data into Legacy you will not be able to come back to using
      PAF.)

      PLUS another affiliate vendor PAF Insight, has just released an
      upgrade which accesses the additional information added by PAFWiz
      into a PAF database. I'll stick with PAF, PAF Insight and use PAFWiz
      when needed.

      All these Affiliate Programs will be able to safely upload and update
      personal data in the new FamilySearch. Note that Family Tree Maker
      is not an "Affiliate Program."

      Terry Mason, Dirctor
      Clemont FL Family History Center
    • Alan Whitcomb
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2007
        Terry Mason and others have a good point in that PAF 4 & 5 are free, and
        there are helper apps like PAF Insight which make it great. As someone who
        lives in a non English speaking country and without other software, my
        Branch is limited to PAF 4. Remember PAF 4? No UIN, no interchange with PAF
        Insight.

        I would hope that anyone in a Stake or District with a non-English Unit that
        you have someone, or even a traing powerpoint presentation about another
        program (like Legacy) which is also free.

        Alan
        FHC Pamplona, Spain

        On 5/21/07, T. Mason <tmason1@...> wrote:

        > -------------------
        >
        > Legacy is but one of the approved FamilySearch "Affiliate Vendors"
        > listed in the "4th Quarter 2006 Family History Memorandum". Legacy
        > has some things that leave a lot to be desired in my eyes. If this
        > is a forum where there is a voice for advertising for Legacy then we
        > also need to review its limitations.
        >
        > I am very committed to using PAF. It is free and well supported with
        > tutorials from Church resources and BYU. Some time ago I inquired if
        > corrections could be made to PAF software and was told that the
        > Church FH department has no intention to upgrade PAF. I think PAF is
        > very adequate and as a FHC director I will continue to promote it in
        > FHC classes and to train FH consultants in its use.
        >
        > PAFWiz is produced by Ancestral Quest and it is also an approved
        > affiliate vendor program and available for free to all family history
        > centers. It is available at http://www.ancquest.com/pafwiz/ . PAFWiz
        > has provided all the corrections to PAF that I needed plus it has
        > provided many more enhancements. Their well done tutorials offer good
        > training.
        >
        > PAFWiz is committed to using all the features now within our PAF
        > databases without our having to "convert" our data to meet the unique
        > features of Legacy or RootsMagic. For example, it is possible to
        > place confidential notes in PAF with a tilde (~). PAFWiz directly
        > accesses the PAF database without having to convert it to a GEDCOM
        > file. All PAF features continue to be used. PAFWiz does not modify
        > the database so that you can continue using PAF too and that allows
        > the patron to use something they are familiar with. (If you convert
        > your PAF data into Legacy you will not be able to come back to using
        > PAF.)
        >
        > PLUS another affiliate vendor PAF Insight, has just released an
        > upgrade which accesses the additional information added by PAFWiz
        > into a PAF database. I'll stick with PAF, PAF Insight and use PAFWiz
        > when needed.
        >
        > All these Affiliate Programs will be able to safely upload and update
        > personal data in the new FamilySearch. Note that Family Tree Maker
        > is not an "Affiliate Program."
        >
        > Terry Mason, Dirctor
        > Clemont FL Family History Center

        > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ileen Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2007
          Just a reminder, there are mailing lists for most genealogy software
          programs, i.e., Personal Ancestral File http://www.innernet.org/paf/
          and Legacy Family Tree http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LegacyLists.asp
          . One can usually find specific help on these dedicated lists.

          Most FHCs have a variety of genealogy software programs on their
          computers for patron use. This is a good way to test them out and see
          which one most nearly meets your needs. A lot depends on what the
          user wants to do and individual preferences.

          Ileen
        • Gary Templeman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2007
            From: "T. Mason" <tmason1@...>

            > -------------------
            >
            > Legacy is but one of the approved FamilySearch "Affiliate Vendors"
            > listed in the "4th Quarter 2006 Family History Memorandum". Legacy
            > has some things that leave a lot to be desired in my eyes. If this
            > is a forum where there is a voice for advertising for Legacy then we
            > also need to review its limitations.

            OK, so I was expecting somewhere in the remainder of you message some
            opinions on what you see as it's limitations.

            Gary Templeman
          • ileenjohnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
              I have posted a .pdf file containing my "analysis" of some of the new FamilySearch affiliate programs. I started this project trying to make a spread sheet listing the software and the features each provided. The more I worked on this the more confused I became. It is nigh impossible to compare the programs with one another since they all have similar, yet different, features.

              So this is my compromise. I tried to keep it positive, focusing on the strong points of each program rather than the negative (what it lacked or what we disliked).

              Ileen Johnson
              FHCNET List Owner
            • Ileen Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
                I have posted a .pdf file containing my "analysis" of some of the new
                FamilySearch affiliate programs. I started this project with trying to make
                a spread sheet listing the software and the features each provided. The
                more I worked on this the more confused I became. It is nigh impossible to
                compare the programs with one another since they all have similar, yet
                different, features.

                So this is my compromise. I tried to keep it positive, focusing on the
                strong points of the programs rather than what it lacked or what we
                disliked.

                To download the file,

                Ileen Johnson
                FHCNET List Owner