Re: PAF program for Macintosh revisited

  • marilynwaswiley
    Message 1 of 28 , May 7, 2007
      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, it was written:

      Please read with a softened heart to thwart the negative that can and often does halter this
      great work....

      > Factually correct, but I disagree with the implied fault. Apple won't
      > support any hardware but their own. MS will sell to all brands of hardware.

      Indeed. NOT to mention Apple's historical resistance to
      open-code, which pretty much lock software development into
      their own lab, which in turn pushes up software prices

      Re: PAF program for Macintosh

      There are several errors in these statements. Macintoshes are open to just about any USB
      device. I use both Windows machines and Macintoshes and interchange almost every USB
      device, i.e. scanners, flash drives, cameras (both still and video), USB hubs, Palm Pilots &
      other PDAs, cell phones, hard drives, CD/DVD reader/writers, speakers, microphones,
      headphones, etc. etc., and I (and millions of ther Mac users) have no problem switching
      back and forth between the two systems. However, try to take a hard drive from a Dell
      system and use it in a Gateway or other brand system and it won't work without major

      As well, the internal components are the same in a Mac as well as a Windows PC. Hard
      drives are SATA drives and can use any from a PC, The video cards are ATI or GeForce and
      the memory is the same as on Windows machines. The only devices that are different are
      the motherboards and other proprietary printed circuit boards.

      So overall, I'm not sure what hardware is being referred to unless it is proprietary and then
      that is very niche.

      In reference to open-code, I'm not sure if the referrence is to open-source code. If so,
      Apple has been a member of the open-source community since the introduction of OS X.
      Most open-source code programs will at least run in the terminal window. If you are
      referring to Apple not being open to it's code being freely released, then you are correct.
      Apple does have a certification process which is one level of security that keeps problems
      from arising, i.e. spyware, viruses, and non-conforming buggy software.

      My question is; "what do most people attempting to do genealogy work need to have
      access to code? Would they know what to do with it? Would they completly mess up their
      systems trying to do something they are not schooled to do?" Not everyone is a mechanic
      nor has mechanic ablilities but, most folks drive cars. They choose the cars they like the
      look of, the feel of, etc. except in the cases of those who have mechanical backqround
      which would bias their choices. We, as those who are attempting to aid others in doing
      their Family History Research need to be open to assisting with the end results not in
      trying to force everyone have our perspectives and opinions on technology. We have our
      free agency and need not be "enforcers of free agency" tainted with our own take on

      Secondly, regarding higher priced software, the last time I purchased software for Mac or
      Windows machines it cost the same amount of money for both versions. This is in
      reference to mainstream software from Microsoft, Adobe, etc., etc. When comparing
      pricing of operating systems, I believe the base price for a version of OS X is $129 and a
      version of Vista starts at about $160 and runs upward of $500, unless you are licensing.
      It is actually the same when it comes to the hardware.

      Comments like these have been one of the problems for years. Too many statements are
      made based on myth without any investigation, thus misleading comments like these are
      made. It is always best to research before you comment if you are not working in a
      particular field. In my line of work it is best if an individual has experience on many
      different machines because of the changes that come so quickly in technology. When
      comparing prices of hardware, to compare oranges to oranges you need to consider the
      base equipment and software that comes with a machine and make comparisons based on
      like systems, not just those that are advertised.

      Let me end by saying "amen and amen" to this response from our userlist....

      How about if we just drop the bitterness and attempt to simply help
      users. There are always ways to accomplish the task, but we must be
      open to exploring the possibilities without prejudices. And believe
      me, I have mine and they are based upon YEARS of developing/supporting
      on all major platforms and seeing first hand their strengths and
      However, if a user needs help on one platform, that is the help they
      get from me without statements about the pros and cons of what they
      are using.

      Andy & Marilyn Howard