Re: [FHCNET] MAC's

  • Harry D. Galley
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007
      PAF will never be upgraded. The Church owns Ancestral Quest and it is a great program. I can see the Church phasing out PAF for Ancestral Quest when the need arrives. It also will work with the Familysearch program that will soon be up and running.
      Harry D. Galley
      Director Davenport FHC
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007
        Sorry, Harry, that's not really true.

        Ancestry Quest is owned by:
        Incline Software, LC
        P.O Box 95543
        South Jordan, UT 84095-0543

        Robert

        "Harry D. Galley" <hdgalley@...> wrote: PAF will never be upgraded. The Church owns Ancestral Quest and it is a great program. I can see the Church phasing out PAF for Ancestral Quest when the need arrives. It also will work with the Familysearch program that will soon be up and running.
        Harry D. Galley
        Director Davenport FHC
        PAF is on the very back burner for the church tech engineers while
        new FamilySearch is being polished. It will be some time before it
        receives upgrade attention for Windows computers, and will probably
        never be upgraded for Mac.

        However, Reunion is available for Mac, just now upgraded to Reunion
        9. In my opinion, it is the best genealogy program out there, bar
        none! You are lucky if you have a Mac and can use it because it's not
        available for Windows. Yes, it's very LDS friendly.

        Just my opinion!

        Sr. Venita Parry
        Missionary
        Family History Training Center
        Provo, Utah

        Utah South Area Family History Training Center
        http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

        Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
        http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

        On Mar 5, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Terri Shea wrote:

        > Does anyone know if they will be coming out with a newer version of
        > PAF for MAC and if there will be support for MAC's in the future?
        > Sorry I have been out of the FHC for awhile so they may do this
        > already. With the popularity lately of MAC's you would think they
        > would offer that.
        > Terri

        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joy Sterrantino
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
          I have a MacBook. Right now I have 2 operating systems on it. I switch to
          Windows when I want to use PAF. I'd obviously rather have it for Mac, but
          it works this way with little inconvenience. I find that when I use a
          different program other than PAF, I mix up the menus, etc., in my head when
          I'm helping patrons, so I'd rather just use PAF. I still have Family Tree
          Maker because I love the All-in-One Chart, but mostly I just use PAF.

          -Joy

          Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.�
          http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline
        • Terri Shea

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
              Just so I understand - the new family search will replace PAF? Again, I have been out of the FHC for a while so I am trying to get "connected" again with all the new terms.
              Terri

              singhals <singhals@...> wrote:
              Terri Shea wrote:

              > Does anyone know if they will be coming out with a newer version of PAF
              > for MAC and if there will be support for MAC's in the future? Sorry I
              > have been out of the FHC for awhile so they may do this already. With
              > the popularity lately of MAC's you would think they would offer that.
              > Terri

              Back when PAF 3.1.x for MAC came out in the 1990s, the
              Church said it would be the last MAC upgrade. They repeated
              that when PAF 4 came out. The stated rationale was that MAC
              users represent roughly 10% of all computer users so it was
              not cost-effective for the Church's development unit to
              pursue the market. (I think MAC's market share is still
              under 15%.)

              Now that they seem to be moving to PhP-based
              data-storage&retrieval system, it's even less likely that
              they will update any platform-specific applications.

              FWIW and don't shoot the messenger.

              There should be no attachments on this message, unless I
              specifically mentioned them above.

            • Sandra
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                Terri,
                The new FamilySearch will NOT replace PAF. You will still want to keep a record of your family on a genealogical software, such as PAF, Legacy, Ancestral Quest, Reunion, etc, off the internet and on your own computer.

                Sincerely Learning From the Past,
                Sandra Raymond Jarvis

                Just so I understand - the new family search will replace PAF?
                Recent Activity
                a.. 4New Members
                Visit Your Group
                a.. Genealogy search