Re: PAF - & other software programs

  • jessiehearle
    Message 1 of 63 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "T. Mason" <tmason1@...> wrote:

      > I am under obligation to teach Church policy and use materials that
      > support PAF in our Family History Center.

      simple answer is Yes.
      You are required to teach members how to submit a name to the Temple
      for Ordinance work according to the requirements established NOW (not
      how to use individual & marriage entry forms from the 60's)
      You are to teach principles related to WHY & HOW we do temple work &
      ordinances.
      You are not required to tell patrons that PAF is the BEST family
      history software available.

      You are required to tell patrons that PAF & Computers are available
      in your FHC without charge--except copy fees, etc.

      You are required to tell patrons that PAF is available for download
      FREE at LDS org.

      You are required to tell patrons that resources at FamilySearch.org
      are available to all with certain requirements, and that they may
      access it at a FHC or from any computer with internet access.

      _________
      My responsibility as a Member is to FIND, RECORD & Preserve MY own
      family history.
      &
      My responsibility as a Member is to ensure that MY family members
      have had Temple ordinances performed.

      My responsibility as FHC staff (consultant, director, staff)is to
      help members and non-members FIND, RECORD & Preserve their own family
      history.

      The Church`s responsibility is to provide Temple ordinances for every
      individual who ever lived.
      The Church provides certain tools to
      1. HELP me FIND, RECORD & Preserve MY own family history
      2. HELP me as a Member is to ensure MY family members have
      Temple ordinances performed
      3. Help me as FHC staff (consultant, directors, staff, or
      whatever my title is at the time) help members and non-members FIND,
      RECORD & Preserve their own family history.
      4. provide Temple ordinances for every individuals living & dead.

      We teach the principles related to WHY & HOW we do temple work &
      ordinances.
      We teach PAF & research methods to those who do not already know the
      principles of recording, research, etc. For some individuals that is
      all they will ever do. Some will publish books and create websites
      adn family organizations and DNA studies.

      If we want to do more with our genealogy than PAF provides, that is
      not the concern of the Church.

      The church helps me FIND my ancestors. They provide some records.
      They do have access to all the records I need.
      Some records are only in my relatives home--I must find them.
      Some records are only in my relatives memory--I must interview them.
      Some records are only in a cemetery--I must find it.

      The Church does not care how we record family history. They provide
      forms & software for me and to anyone, member or not if we choose to
      use it.
      They make certain suggestions (day-month-year; maiden name only,
      surname in all-caps, etc)
      But I may choose to record my Book of Remembrance on parchment paper,
      brass plates, a cross-stitched sampler or whatever. That is not
      their concern or business.

      I am only 49 years old, but I have seen many changes in the way the
      Church helps me record data & provide Temple ordinances.

      At one time the Church provided Long forms (8 ½ by 14--many children
      on a page, and their ordinance dates off to the right just like a
      spreadsheet) & "Short forms" (8 ½ by 11--no space for temple work)
      Pink short forms for research, yellow short forms, etc.

      These forms had many virtues, but some problems--required a special
      Binder, did not fit many typewriters without folding, had to be
      copied by hand with the possibility of copy errors OR pay expensive
      fees to make copies. ($1 per page.)

      At one time I made contact with a family member who had done research
      & temple work for our mutual ancestors. He had a Bk of Remembrance
      with close to 1,000 FG sheets. He drove 5 hrs to loan me that book
      and my mother & I copied abt 960 sheets by hand, and drove 5 hrs to
      return the book. It was an answer to prayers and we rejoiced in the
      work. With technology now—we could have shared all we know in a
      matter of minutes.

      The Church`s responsibility to provide Temple ordinances is different
      situation than respons to record.

      The church sets the standards for what I wear when I enter the
      temple. I may choose to wear a dress with or without lace, homemade,
      borrowed or purchased, but it must be white and cover specific parts
      of my body.

      If I take a family name to the Temple it must go thru a process.
      That process varies depending on the time—used to send forms to Salt
      Lake for approval, wait maybe 6 months, get a letter back.

      Now the process involves TempleReady Windows.
      The church does not care HOW I get my family names into TempleReady
      Windows.
      That is why they provide GEDCOM support.

      As a lifelong member east of the Mississippi, for much of my life the
      nearest temple was at least a day's drive away. At last we got a
      temple 4 hrs away.
      Obviously it was easier for us to go the temple, but for some it was
      still very difficult. Some could not afford a car or gas money, some
      were afraid to drive in traffic, some could not see, but if they
      could find a ride they would go.
      They tried to reduce the burden on members our stake rented a bus to
      go to the temple a certain day each month. We only had to show up,
      not find a bus or a driver.
      The pickup times were announced in church and all were free to use
      the bus.
      If we chose to carpool to the temple we were on our own…Carpool times
      were not announced from the pulpit BUT there was no pressure to ride
      the bus instead of carpool.

      It is the same with PAF. It is the "free" long form and bus ride to
      the temple.
      The church provides computers for their convenience.
      Temple names have to be screened in a certain way to make it easier
      for Temple workers.
      This process may change at any time.
      The church does not require or expect me to buy a computer to do my
      genealogy or to buy a car to ride to church in order to attend
      meetings—bike, walk, or fly.

      If I need a computer, it is at the church. It has certain software
      for my use, free.
      IF I need instruction in how to use the computer to DO FAMILY HISTORY
      they will show me.

      Jessie Hearle
      Bessemer Alabama
      (I use Rootsmagic, teach PAF, sometimes use FTM, LEGACY, Ancestral
      Quest—nobody is perfect J
      Message 63 of 63 , Feb 17, 2007
        You could be right, Russell.

        Cheryl

        --
        There should be no attachments on this message, unless I
        specifically mentioned them above.