Re: Henry Wilcox info in our earlylds database

  • Snow, Donald R.
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi Fred. If you have corrections and sources for data on Henry
      Wilcox (earlylds-index I28066), please send us the corrections with
      the sources and we'll enter it. Thanks.

      Don

      At 11:22 AM 1/16/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi Bro. Snow, id suggest that there are problems with id I28066, my Rootsweb
      >record for him looks a bit different from the one showed in the early lds
      >web site...Birth and/or marriage info seems a bit off..
      >
      >Regards, Bro. Fred, Westport NY Branch (Worldconnect unclefred database)
      >www.ticonderogaheritagemuseum.org
      >www.rootsweb.com/~nyessex
      ><http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~unclefred/main.htm>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~unclefred/main.htm
      >www.provoncha.com

      Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Prof of Mathematics, Brigham Young
      University, Provo, Utah 84604
      snowd@...; 801-225-7123 home phone in Provo, Utah;
      435-673-1932 home phone in St. George, Utah

    • UncleFred
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        Thanks Bro. Snow, you have Henry b 13 Jan 1813 Gates, NY
        married to Susanna Miller 19 Feb 1819, while not impossible, has to be
        unlikely..

        Regards, Fred Provoncha, former Manhattan Temple worker..
        www.ticonderogaheritagemuseum.org
        www.rootsweb.com/~nyessex
        www.provoncha.com
        > Hi Fred. If you have corrections and sources for data on Henry
        > Wilcox (earlylds-index I28066), please send us the corrections with
        > the sources and we'll enter it. Thanks.
        >
        > Don
        >

        > At 11:22 AM 1/16/2007, you wrote:
        >
        >>Hi Bro. Snow, id suggest that there are problems with id I28066, my
        >>Rootsweb
        >>record for him looks a bit different from the one showed in the early lds
        >>web site...Birth and/or marriage info seems a bit off..
        >>
        >>Regards, Bro. Fred, Westport NY Branch (Worldconnect unclefred database)
        >>www.ticonderogaheritagemuseum.org
        >>www.rootsweb.com/~nyessex
        >><http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~unclefred/main.htm>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~unclefred/main.htm
        >>www.provoncha.com

      • UncleFred
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
          Bit of followup..This is NOT my personal research...
          James David Wilcox (son of Henry) and his uncle, Henry Miller, traveled to
          Utah in September,1852, on their way to the California gold fields. They
          were persuaded to stay with Henry's brothers at Farmington due to the
          lateness of the season. Thomas Wilcox writes, "He (James David) had brought
          with him from the East, a beautiful gold ring which his cousins were
          desirous to obtain from him, but he refused, saying, 'No, the only girl who
          wears this ring will be the one who becomes my wife.'" He became much
          impressed by Anna Maria Robinson, and his infatuation led him to accept the
          Mormon faith so that they could marry. This step also provided him the
          opportunity to wed a second wife, which he soon did in 1862. As was the
          custom of Mormons at that time, he had these two wives concurrently. In all
          he had twenty-three children. (This writer is not sure which wife kept the
          ring.)
          James practiced many trades including cabinet-making, wheelwright, drum
          making, plastering, and masonry. He was a skillful hunter and
          horticulturist, raising the first fruit in Farmington.
          -----------------------
          WILCOX, JAMES DAVID (son of Henry Wilcox, born Jan. 16, 1792, Hillsdale,
          N. Y., and Susan Miller, born March 2, 1800, Lexington, N. Y., married Feb.
          19, 1819). He was born Jan. 17, 1827, Lexington, N. Y. Came to Utah Sept.
          23, 1852, Henry W. Miller company. Married Anna Maria Robinson Nov. 26,
          1854, Salt Lake City (daughter of Joseph Lee Robinson, pioneer 1849, captain
          of own company, and Maria Wood, who came to Utah with husband). She was born
          June 8, 1838. Their children: James Henry b. Oct. 7, 1855, m. Mary Magdalene
          Wood Nov. 28, 1878; Joseph Dorvil b. Aug. 15; 1857, d. Oct. 14, 1857;
          Ebenezer Orlando b. Feb. 5, 1859, m. Abigail Alvina Abbott, April 26, 1883;
          Julia Maria b. March 14, 1861, m. Walter W. Steed, Sept. 16, 1880; Lucy
          Annella b. Sept. 22, 1863, d. Sept. 30, 1864; Oliver Leroy b. Sept. 6, 1865,
          m. Lucy Evaline Clark Nov. 23, 1892; Annabelle b. Feb. 23, 1867, d. Sept.
          15, 1867; Margaret Ruth b. Sept. 30, 1869, m. David Eli Manning April 11,
          1888; David Eugene b. April 3, 1872, m. Elizabeth Layne Dec. 20, 1894;
          William Arnold b. Nov. 27, 1874, d. Jan. 3, 1875; George Wallace b. March
          11, 1876, m. Nettie Jane Barber Nov. 16, 1898; Mary Helen b. Feb. 5, 1879,
          d. April 13, 1880; Orson Charles b. Oct. 15, 1881, m. Adeline Rosa Fehr
          March 26, 1908. Family home Farmington, Utah.
          Married Judith Oviatt Feb. 15, 1862, Salt Lake City (daughter of Ira
          Oviatt and Ruth Bennett, pioneers 1851, Isaac Allred company, married Jan.
          29, 1829, Berton, Rensselaer county, N. Y.) She was born March 22, 1841,
          Kirkland, Ohio. Their children: Ruth Angelia b. Jan. 11, 1863, d. Oct 23,
          1864; Mary Evelyn b. Sept. 6, 1865, d. Sept. 15, 1867; Clara Orliva b. June
          28, 1868, m. Edward Alvin Steed Dec. 14, 1887; Thomas Feris b. July 14,
          1870, m. Eliza Criddle Nov. 28, 1894; Susan Olive b. Sept. 6, 1872, m.
          William John Hardy; Cynthia Orilla b. Feb. 23, 1875, m. William Edward
          Griddle Feb. 13, 1895; Ira Herman b. April 5, 1877, d. Sept. 27, 1897; Lewis
          Oviatt b. Aug. 30, 1879; Orrin Miller b. Dec. 13, 1881; Ruby Lovena b. May
          29, 1887, m. John Sheppard Sept. 1907. Family home Farmington, Utah.
          Missionary to Salmon River October, 1857, to April, 1858. Ordained a
          patriarch April 15, 1901.
          WILCOX, JAMES HENRY (son of James David Wilcox and Anna Maria Robinson).
          Born Oct. 7, 1855, Farmington, Utah.
          Married Mary Magdalene Wood Nov. 28, 1878, Salt Lake City (daughter of
          John Wood and Fanny Goble, pioneers October, 1855, Moses Thurston company).
          She was born April 15, 1857, Farmington, Utah. Their children: William Henry
          b. Sept. 20, 1879, m. Emily Barber Dec. 14, 1904; Delbert Eben b. Oct. 12,
          1881, m. Julia Irene Udy June 16, 1909; Joseph Edward b. March 20, 1883, m.
          Leona Jane Hatch Dec. 6, 1905; Mary Estella b. Sept. 4, 1885; Fanny Alice b.
          March 1, 1888, m. Amasa Merlin Steed Nov. 24, 1909; Clyde Harley b. Nov. 28,
          1889; Luella b. Jan. 8, 1892; Ruth b. Dec. 15, 1893; Blanche b. Nov. 9,
          1896. Family home Farmington, Utah.
          Missionary to eastern states Jan. 16, 1897. Appointed assessor and
          collector Davis county March 15, 1882, Aug. 6, 1883, Aug. 4, 1884, Aug. 2,
          1886; county recorder Davis county Aug. 4, 1884; county clerk Aug. 6, 1888,
          Aug. 4, 1890; first mayor of Farmington City Nov. 8, 1892, and elected again
          Nov. 7, 1893; prosecuting attorney Davis county Nov. 6, 1894. By virtue of
          his being assessor and collector of Davis county he was a member of the
          board that chose the site for the Agricultural College. Admitted to the bar
          March 4, 1906.
          WILCOX, WILLIAM HENRY (son of James Henry Wilcox and Mary Magdalene Wood).
          Born Sept. 20, 1899, Farmington, Utah.
          Married Emily Barber Dec. 14, 1904 (daughter of David Barber and Esther
          French; came to Utah July 3, 1877, married June 4, 1879, Salt Lake City).
          She was born Nov. 11, 1884, Centerville, Utah. Their children: David Henry
          b. Oct. 8, 1905; Hugh Barber b. Feb. 17, 1907; Harold b. Sept. 5, 1908;
          Elmer b. May 5, 1910. Family home Syracuse,
          Utah. Missionary to southern states Aug. 23, 1900.
          Note also:
          1.. Title: Descendants of William Wilcoxson of Derbyshire, England, and
          Stratford, Connecticutt
          Author: Thomas Wilcox
          Publication: Mimeograph, Spring 1963
          Note: A thirty years' compilation of research and correspondence.

          Thomas Wilcox, PO Box 462, Pasadena, CA 91102
          Note: Secondary
          Repository:
          Call Number:
          Media: Manuscript