Re: [FHCNET] Re: PAF5.2 data transfer to Reunion8.06

  • Venita Roylance
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Steve,

      Yes, Reunion will be supported. You can create gedcoms and submit
      them to the New FamilySearch just as you would from PAF or another
      program. I'm a pre-beta tester and I do as much work with NFS at home
      on my Mac as I do at the FHTC on a PC.

      Personally, I prefer to use my Reunion data base over my PAF data
      base. An example, I have a Danish line of ancestors in which I record
      the place names using the Danish spelling using the Danish keybord on
      my Mac. When I import a gedcom created by Reunion, all the Danish
      characters stay as I typed them. When I import the same gedcom
      created by PAF, I lose the characters and have to re-enter them.

      If there is any problem at all, it is with the browser you use. I
      have Safari (along with some others) on my Mac. It is not as
      supported as it might be, but the 'guys' are aware of that and they
      have Mac people working on it. In the meantime, I use another browser
      called "SeaMonkey." It's like a glorified Netscape, and it works as
      beautifully on a Mac as Explorer does on a PC. If you're interested,
      you can find it in Google and download it.

      Mac users, rejoice!! The Church tech people are aware that we exist
      and that our numbers are growing. I am hopeful for the future!

      Sr. Venita Parry
      Missionary
      Family History Training Center
      Provo, Utah

      Utah South Area Family History Training Center
      http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

      Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
      http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

    • The Allens
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
        Sister Parry,
        We have one consultant with a Mac with OSX that was unable to register
        as a consultant using Safari. Any indication that Sea Monkey would be any
        more friendly? I assume that she would have trouble with the training
        modules also. Is there any indication that SeaMonkey would be any more
        friendly with church sites?

        Dean Allen
        Annapolis MD FHC

> [...]
        >> is
        >> > followed by a series of numbers and/or letters. That is an
        >> individual
        >> > ID number generated by the PAF program. Reunion doesn't know what
        >> > do with it, so it puts it in the notes. (No, you don't see it in
        >> PAF.
        >> > It's hidden, but it's there.) The information is useless to
        >> Reunion,
        >> > so you can leave it in your notes or delete it, as you choose.
        >> >
        >> > Good luck!!
        >> >
        >> > Your friendly neighborhood Mac-addict,
        >> >
        >> > Sr. Venita Parry
        >> > Missionary
        >> > Family History Training Center
        >> > Provo, Utah
        >> >
        >> > Utah South Area Family History Training Center
        >> > http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/
        >> >
        >> > Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations

      • Venita Roylance
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
          I have begun using SeaMonkey anytime I use any of the Church sites,
          including FamilySearch. It just works better than Safari does with
          them. I haven't had any trouble signing on as a consultant with it.
          It's free, and it's worth a try. 8o)

          On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:27 AM, The Allens wrote:

          > Sister Parry,
          > We have one consultant with a Mac with OSX that was unable to register
          > as a consultant using Safari. Any indication that Sea Monkey would
          > be any
          > more friendly? I assume that she would have trouble with the training
          > modules also. Is there any indication that SeaMonkey would be any more
          > friendly with church sites?
          >
          > Dean Allen
          > Annapolis MD FHC

        • maxine nelson
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
            I registered using Firefox on my Mac. I also have Safari.
            Maxine in NW Kansas