Re: [FHCNET] Re: PAF5.2 data transfer to Reunion8.06

  • Gary Templeman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
      From: "stephenallenfaherty" <sfaherty@...>
      To: <FHCNET@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:57 AM
      Subject: [FHCNET] Re: PAF5.2 data transfer to Reunion8.06

      > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Venita Roylance <venitar@...> wrote:
      >>Won't it be a disadvantage to have Reunion 8.06 when the new Family
      > Tree feature of familysearch.org becomes available. Reunion won't be
      > supported will it, or perhaps its the Mac system that will not be
      > supported. I'm not sure? Thank-you, Steve.

      In the first beta test, uploads to the new FamilySearch was done via GEDCOM,
      so it "should" not matter which genealogy program a person chooses to use at
      home. We shall see when the beta 2 test starts, possibly in 3-4 weeks.

      Gary Templeman
    • Venita Roylance
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Steve,

        Yes, Reunion will be supported. You can create gedcoms and submit
        them to the New FamilySearch just as you would from PAF or another
        program. I'm a pre-beta tester and I do as much work with NFS at home
        on my Mac as I do at the FHTC on a PC.

        Personally, I prefer to use my Reunion data base over my PAF data
        base. An example, I have a Danish line of ancestors in which I record
        the place names using the Danish spelling using the Danish keybord on
        my Mac. When I import a gedcom created by Reunion, all the Danish
        characters stay as I typed them. When I import the same gedcom
        created by PAF, I lose the characters and have to re-enter them.

        If there is any problem at all, it is with the browser you use. I
        have Safari (along with some others) on my Mac. It is not as
        supported as it might be, but the 'guys' are aware of that and they
        have Mac people working on it. In the meantime, I use another browser
        called "SeaMonkey." It's like a glorified Netscape, and it works as
        beautifully on a Mac as Explorer does on a PC. If you're interested,
        you can find it in Google and download it.

        Mac users, rejoice!! The Church tech people are aware that we exist
        and that our numbers are growing. I am hopeful for the future!

        Sr. Venita Parry
        Missionary
        Family History Training Center
        Provo, Utah

        Utah South Area Family History Training Center
        http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

        Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
        http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

      • The Allens
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
          Sister Parry,
          We have one consultant with a Mac with OSX that was unable to register
          as a consultant using Safari. Any indication that Sea Monkey would be any
          more friendly? I assume that she would have trouble with the training
          modules also. Is there any indication that SeaMonkey would be any more
          friendly with church sites?

          Dean Allen
          Annapolis MD FHC

> [...]
          >> is
          >> > followed by a series of numbers and/or letters. That is an
          >> individual
          >> > ID number generated by the PAF program. Reunion doesn't know what
          >> > do with it, so it puts it in the notes. (No, you don't see it in
          >> PAF.
          >> > It's hidden, but it's there.) The information is useless to
          >> Reunion,
          >> > so you can leave it in your notes or delete it, as you choose.
          >> >
          >> > Good luck!!
          >> >
          >> > Your friendly neighborhood Mac-addict,
          >> >
          >> > Sr. Venita Parry
          >> > Missionary
          >> > Family History Training Center
          >> > Provo, Utah
          >> >
          >> > Utah South Area Family History Training Center
          >> > http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/
          >> >
          >> > Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations

        • Venita Roylance
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
            I have begun using SeaMonkey anytime I use any of the Church sites,
            including FamilySearch. It just works better than Safari does with
            them. I haven't had any trouble signing on as a consultant with it.
            It's free, and it's worth a try. 8o)

            On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:27 AM, The Allens wrote:

            > Sister Parry,
            > We have one consultant with a Mac with OSX that was unable to register
            > as a consultant using Safari. Any indication that Sea Monkey would
            > be any
            > more friendly? I assume that she would have trouble with the training
            > modules also. Is there any indication that SeaMonkey would be any more
            > friendly with church sites?
            >
            > Dean Allen
            > Annapolis MD FHC

          • maxine nelson
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
              I registered using Firefox on my Mac. I also have Safari.
              Maxine in NW Kansas