PRF submission still showing only 'received' six months later.

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2007
      Saw this on a big list, thought I'd run it by everyone
      here to see if anyone might have any idea at all what
      is happening. I replied to the list indicating that
      the last DVD before her submission was printed with
      data in late Spring of last year, that was DVD 128, so
      it might be in line for either 129 or 130 depending on
      the volume of other submissions. But what else might
      be happening?

      On July 2 I submitted four databases to
      Familysearch.org for their Pedigree Resource File. I
      have continued to check their status on the site, and
      it has been "received" for the last 6 months. Is this
      normal? I had heard that it might take about 3 months
      from another poster, but 6 months seems to be a bit
      much. Has anyone else submitted to them lately?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Beverly Repouille
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2007
        I had a patron in today who said he submitted to the PRF a year ago and it
        is still marked as "received" but nothing more has been done. He called
        Salt Lake and they told him that "it takes time."

        Beverly Repouille
        Council Bluffs Iowa FHC

        _____

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2007
          I submitted a file on Aug 20th and it is still just showing as received. Myabe they are just overwhelmed.

          Nora

        • Winter Owl
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2007
            I'm working on an EQ President's files. He has 183 births listed as "private"
            He goes back 12 generations of the husband and wife being his own parents, grandparents, great grandparent, etc for 12 generations. (The dates and places are all identical).
            South Carolina is listed as <S-Cr>
            Middle initials have expanded to whatever name may fit that initial (S became Saphorinica)

            And absolutely no documentation beyond the first generation!

            Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?

            Robert

          • Venita Roylance
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 4, 2007
              The new PRF DVDs contain about the same amount of information that is
              contained in five CDs. That means they need about five million names
              before they are ready to produce a new one. How long it takes to get
              that many names depends on the number of submissions and the number
              of names in them.

              When New Family Search is released, all the information that has been
              recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included there. I would
              guess (only a guess) that the recent submissions that have not been
              published yet will be there as well. Whether they publish more DVDs
              or not, you will be invited to submit your information to New Family
              Search via a gedcom where the information will become available in a
              matter of hours or days.

              Be patient!

              Yours,

              Sr. Venita Parry
              Missionary
              Family History Training Center
              Provo, Utah

              Utah South Area Family History Training Center
              http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

              Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
              http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

              On Jan 3, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Nora Ray wrote:

              > I submitted a file on Aug 20th and it is still just showing as
              > received. Myabe they are just overwhelmed.
              >
              > Nora

            • Alan Jones
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 4, 2007
                I can't help but smile. I know the feeling. Of course we have to use it as
                a guide post to finding the real information.

                I feed that kind of stuff does not make Heavenly Father pleased.

                Alan Jones

                _____

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 4, 2007
                  While any person in their right mind would agree that the data is pure
                  fiction - and I suspect his data file might be damaged.. (since he is
                  his own father and grandfather, etc) this might explain the identical
                  dates and places.

                  Give him back the file and tell him that the file is damaged (for the
                  reasons I mentioned).

                  Alan

                  On 1/4/07, Winter Owl <rhvann@...> wrote:
                  > I'm working on an EQ President's files. He has 183 births listed as "private"
                  > He goes back 12 generations of the husband and wife being his own parents, grandparents, great grandparent, etc for 12 generations. (The dates and places are all identical).
                  > South Carolina is listed as <S-Cr>
                  > Middle initials have expanded to whatever name may fit that initial (S became Saphorinica)
                  >
                  > And absolutely no documentation beyond the first generation!
                  >
                  > Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?
                  >

                  > Robert

                  > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Winter Owl
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Alan, at the generation where all of those endless duplications occurred, I just unlinke the father, and the rest disappeared from his database. What's left is the garbage he is going to have to clear up if Temple Ready is going to process it!

                    Robert

                    Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote: While any person in their right mind would agree that the data is pure

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 4, 2007
                      If he is listed as his own father and grandfather, back for generations, he has accidentally match/merged the wrong people. You can "un do" the damage by unlinking the generations until the mess is correct. I had a patron with the same kind of file. We merely unlinked beginning with the first generation that shows the error.
                      Donna

                      While any person in their right mind would agree that the data is pure
                      fiction - and I suspect his data file might be damaged.. (since he is
                      his own father and grandfather, etc) this might explain the identical
                      dates and places.

                      Give him back the file and tell him that the file is damaged (for the
                      reasons I mentioned).

                      Alan

                      On 1/4/07, Winter Owl <rhvann@...> wrote:
                      > I'm working on an EQ President's files. He has 183 births listed as "private"
                      > He goes back 12 generations of the husband and wife being his own parents, grandparents, great grandparent, etc for 12 generations. (The dates and places are all identical).
                      > South Carolina is listed as <S-Cr>
                      > Middle initials have expanded to whatever name may fit that initial (S became Saphorinica)
                      >
                      > And absolutely no documentation beyond the first generation!
                      >
                      > Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?
                      >

                      > Robert

                      > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Lawrence I Cole
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 10, 2007
                        Well was working on Clean My Data base up on the 9 Jan 2007 and found
                        a line like that it went back for 37+ generations! That I had not
                        inputed into the data base! Have been work with PAF sence version 1.0

                        It was a loop, got to the end and it went back to the first Family
                        entry for this line! How and why it was there I don't know!

                        I unlinked the Father to him self and it is all Gone!

                        Compuer are wounder but they can go off on a tangent at times!

                        Larry Cole

                        > I feed that kind of stuff does not make Heavenly Father pleased.
                        >

                        > Alan Jones
                        >
                        > _____

                        Behalf Of
                        > Winter Owl
                        > Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:27 PM
                        > To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [FHCNET] The patron from . . . .
                        >

                        > I'm working on an EQ President's files. He has 183 births listed as
                        > "private"
                        > He goes back 12 generations of the husband and wife being his own
                        parents,
                        > grandparents, great grandparent, etc for 12 generations. (The dates
                        and
                        > places are all identical).
                        > South Carolina is listed as <S-Cr>
                        > Middle initials have expanded to whatever name may fit that initial
                        (S
                        > became Saphorinica)
                        >
                        > And absolutely no documentation beyond the first generation!
                        >
                        > Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?
                        >
                        > Robert

                      • Alan Jones
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 10, 2007
                          Detaching a relationship would cut them out of the current tree but should
                          not delete them from the database.

                          Almost everyone I work with has people floating around in their database
                          that they thought were gone.

                          PAF Insight is a great tool to find those lost family trees in our
                          databases.

                          Alan

                          _____

                          Well was working on Clean My Data base up on the 9 Jan 2007 and found
                          a line like that it went back for 37+ generations! That I had not
                          inputed into the data base! Have been work with PAF sence version 1.0

                          It was a loop, got to the end and it went back to the first Family
                          entry for this line! How and why it was there I don't know!

                          I unlinked the Father to him self and it is all Gone!

                          Compuer are wounder but they can go off on a tangent at times!

                          Larry Cole

                          > I feed that kind of stuff does not make Heavenly Father pleased.
                          >

                          > Alan Jones
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: FHCNET@yahoogroups. <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com> com
                          > I'm working on an EQ President's files. He has 183 births listed as
                          > "private"
                          > He goes back 12 generations of the husband and wife being his own
                          parents,
                          > grandparents, great grandparent, etc for 12 generations. (The dates
                          and
                          > places are all identical).
                          > South Carolina is listed as <S-Cr>
                          > Middle initials have expanded to whatever name may fit that initial
                          (S
                          > became Saphorinica)
                          >
                          > And absolutely no documentation beyond the first generation!
                          >
                          > Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?
                          >
                          > Robert

                        • Winter Owl
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 10, 2007
                            Said individual called me yesterday and told me a box that said something about format came up and he clicked on YES.

                            He wiped out over 8 hours of my time and efforts.

                            Guess what? After screaming for 5 minutes, I went back and recreated his whole searched and updated file.

                            And told hi tonight that if he deleted it again, the custodian would find him in a classroom, strangled with his Tigger necktie.

                            Robert

                            Lawrence I Cole <coleli@...> wrote: Well was working on Clean My Data base up on the 9 Jan 2007 and found
                            a line like that it went back for 37+ generations! That I had not
                            inputed into the data base! Have been work with PAF sence version 1.0

                            It was a loop, got to the end and it went back to the first Family
                            entry for this line! How and why it was there I don't know!

                            I unlinked the Father to him self and it is all Gone!

                            Compuer are wounder but they can go off on a tangent at times!

                            Larry Cole

                            > I feed that kind of stuff does not make Heavenly Father pleased.
                            >

                            > Alan Jones
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
                              Be very careful of what you ask for from Heavenly Father!

                              He may give it to you!

                              Larry

                              _____

                              Said individual called me yesterday and told me a box that said something
                              about format came up and he clicked on YES.

                              He wiped out over 8 hours of my time and efforts.

                              Guess what? After screaming for 5 minutes, I went back and recreated his
                              whole searched and updated file.

                              And told hi tonight that if he deleted it again, the custodian would find
                              him in a classroom, strangled with his Tigger necktie.

                              Robert

                              > Would Heavenly Father really chastize me if I pressed Delete file?[Larry
                              Cole] No he had him do it for you!!

                              > Robert
                              >
                              > *************************************
                              > The Eleventh Commandment reads:
                              >
                              > "Thou shalt not stand idly by"

                              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3934757/grpspId=1705040837/msgId
                              =13893/stime=1168498281/nc1=3848541/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                            • Lorin Lund
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
                                Another way to locate everyone in the database who is not connected to
                                some reference individual can be done with a custom report and advanced
                                search.

                                Go to File|Print Reports
                                Click on the Custom tab

                                Click the 'Select' button. You will be taken to the Advanced
                                Focus/Filter dialog box. It will show 'Select Individuals' in the title
                                bar.

                                In the 'Relationship filter' area (just above the OK button) choose
                                'All' from the pull-down list.
                                Then click 'Select'.
                                Then choose 'All related' from the pull-down list. Then click 'Deslect'
                                (this assumes that the individual that is currently highlighted in the
                                individual list above is connected to your main network of connected
                                individuals)
                                Click OK. You will be back at the 'Reports and Charts' box.

                                Select the fields you want to see - probably name and RIN.

                                Click on 'Print' (or Preview if you want to see the list on your screen)

                                There you have a list of people in your database who aren't connected to
                                the main group.

                                Alan Jones wrote:

                                > Detaching a relationship would cut them out of the current tree but should
                                > not delete them from the database.
                                >
                                > Almost everyone I work with has people floating around in their database
                                > that they thought were gone.
                                >
                                > PAF Insight is a great tool to find those lost family trees in our
                                > databases.
                                >
                                > Alan
                                >
                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>

                              • phyllisgalloway
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 4 11:33 AM
                                  I just had my branch president order the whole set of PRF for our FHC.
                                  It cost alot, why would they not stop selling these if they are getting
                                  ready to put them on the net on Family Search. I feel this just should
                                  not have happened. Our branch is small and it took alot of money from
                                  us to buy these. Can they be sent back and the money refunded.

                                  >When New Family Search is released, all the information that has been
                                  >recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included there.
                                • Gary Templeman
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 4 12:55 PM
                                    If they are unopened probably so, but the place to ask is the distribution
                                    center. It is free to call their 800 number (although I expect not today).
                                    1-800-537-5971

                                    Gary Templeman

                                    >I just had my branch president order the whole set of PRF for our FHC.
                                    > It cost alot, why would they not stop selling these if they are getting
                                    > ready to put them on the net on Family Search. I feel this just should
                                    > not have happened. Our branch is small and it took alot of money from
                                    > us to buy these. Can they be sent back and the money refunded.
                                    >
                                    >>When New Family Search is released, all the information that has been
                                    >>recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included there.

                                    > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Dana Repouille
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 4 1:09 PM
                                      The PRF has been available at www.familysearch.org for some time. You can
                                      find all the information in the online PRF expect for sources, notes, and
                                      maybe temple ordinances.

                                      You can get a free copy of PRF Magnet from Ohana Software
                                      www.ohanasoftware.com for Family History Center use. It will build pedigrees
                                      and GEDCOMs directly from the online PRF.

                                      The CD-ROM (now DVD) version of the PRF still has value. It doesn't require
                                      an Internet connection, it contains sources and notes, and it makes it much
                                      easier to access the original submission data.

                                      Our FHC has purchased PRF 1 through 100 (volumes 1 through 4). However,
                                      since none of our patrons seems interested in using it, we stopped
                                      purchasing the newer discs. Also, only two of our computers in the FHC is
                                      capable of reading DVDs, so we don't want to add to confusion and
                                      frustration by purchasing DVD products.

                                      Dana in Omaha

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 4 1:10 PM
                                        See this answer on the LDS Tech site (part of
                                        lds.org).

                                        Question

                                        I've read your Q&A on the future of PRF. Will there
                                        be any more Pedigree Resource File (PRF) DVDs or has
                                        these been discontinued?

                                        Answer

                                        The PRF DVD program has not been discontinued, nor are
                                        there any changes planned in the near future. When
                                        the new FamilySearch Web site is up and running,
                                        members will be strongly encouraged not to submit to
                                        the PRF. However, since it may take some time before
                                        nonmembers will be able to access the new FamilySearch
                                        Web site, their submissions to PRF will continue to
                                        create value and therefore we will continue to create
                                        new sets of DVDs.

                                        --- phyllisgalloway <family55@...> wrote:

                                        > I just had my branch president order the whole set
                                        > of PRF for our FHC.
                                        > It cost alot, why would they not stop selling these
                                        > if they are getting
                                        > ready to put them on the net on Family Search. I
                                        > feel this just should
                                        > not have happened. Our branch is small and it took
                                        > alot of money from
                                        > us to buy these. Can they be sent back and the money
                                        > refunded.
                                        >
                                        > >When New Family Search is released, all the
                                        > information that has been
                                        > >recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included
                                        > there.

                                        Need a vacation? Get great deals
                                        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                                        http://travel.yahoo.com/
                                      • Winter Owl
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 4 1:15 PM
                                          The new FamilySearch.org will not be available to the whole church for another 18 months, and then it will still only be available for members of the Church

                                          As most Directors report, over 50% of the use is by non-members. Therefore PRF will be a very usable, vital resource in FHCs.

                                          Robert

                                          phyllisgalloway <family55@...> wrote: I just had my branch president order the whole set of PRF for our FHC.
                                          It cost alot, why would they not stop selling these if they are getting
                                          ready to put them on the net on Family Search. I feel this just should
                                          not have happened. Our branch is small and it took alot of money from
                                          us to buy these. Can they be sent back and the money refunded.

                                          >When New Family Search is released, all the information that has been
                                          >recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included there.

                                          or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Garth Gooch
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 4 3:54 PM
                                            I thought that I might warn you about the experience I have had recently with the PRFmagnet program. The gedcom produced causes some real problems with a PAF file. For some reason it produces a marriage between an individual and himself in addition to his wife. When you then open PAF insight to merge the individuals, it will start changing the sex of individuals so that it can attempt to repair the problems encountered. Each time you begin PAF insight from then on it changes the sex of individuals trying to repair the problem. It caused me a lot of problems. I have tried it repeatedly and can reproduce the error, so I do not think that it is a problem that only my file produces. I have tried it using varios families and then I tried it by only creating a temporary file, importing the gedcom and using PAF insight. I hope that the problem will soon be fixed, as it is a great help when it works correctly. You can download as many generations as is available and and
                                            their entire families. I do not know if it is related or not, but currently I have not been able to download a gedcom from the PRF files on the internet, as the choice has been removed. I would love to hear if others are having the same experience or if there is a work around.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 4 5:25 PM
                                              It will be fixed much faster if it is reported to Ohana Software by a
                                              significant number of users through proper channels.

                                              Dana

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 5 5:41 AM
                                                Hello, I am the Product Specialist for Pedigree Resource File at
                                                Progeny Software.

                                                We are continuing to process data for Pedigree Resource File.

                                                Re

                                                Re: PRF submission still showing only 'received' six months later.

                                                Data is processed as quickly as possible and sometimes there are
                                                technical delays. Also, since DVD 126 released, there are now 5
                                                million persons per disk. Therefore it is naturally going to take
                                                longer to fill it.

                                                NOTE: For support issues, please be sure to include in your message
                                                all information from prior e-mail messages & replies. Thank you.

                                                Progeny Software Inc.
                                                www.progenygenealogy.com
                                                www.timelinemaker.com
                                                Technical support: www.progeny.invisionzone.com
                                                Head office: +1 902 542-0665

                                                "Visual analysis and presentation tools"

                                              • Peggy LeBlanc
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 5 6:30 AM
                                                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "phyllisgalloway" <family55@...> wrote:

                                                  > I just had my branch president order the whole set of PRF for our FHC.
                                                  > It cost alot, why would they not stop selling these if they are getting
                                                  > ready to put them on the net on Family Search. I feel this just should
                                                  > not have happened. Our branch is small and it took alot of money from
                                                  > us to buy these. Can they be sent back and the money refunded.
                                                  >
                                                  > >When New Family Search is released, all the information that has been
                                                  > >recorded on the previous PRF CDs will be included there.

                                                  Sorry to the group for my previous terse reply. My cursor hit send
                                                  mid-reply instead of another button.

                                                  Hello, I am the Product Specialist for Pedigree Resource File at
                                                  Progeny Software. We process the data for the Church. I just read the
                                                  digest on July 5th regarding all the PRF postings. Here are my comments:

                                                  Re: PRF submission still showing only 'received' six months later.

                                                  We are continuing to process data for Pedigree Resource File. Data
                                                  is processed as quickly as possible and sometimes there are
                                                  unavoidable technical delays. Also, since DVD 126 released, there are
                                                  now 5 million persons per disk. Therefore it is naturally going to
                                                  take longer to fill one. (There used to be one million names per CD
                                                  ROM disk.)

                                                  Re: Accessing PRF data via other programs or FamilySearch.org
                                                  Access is limited to the vital statistics on a person. The notes and
                                                  sources can sometimes be crucial. I have seen many occasions where
                                                  the notes are very detailed and sources can be the same.

                                                  I have a personal testimony of the value of the data on the disks that
                                                  cannot be accessed online. I have a ggandmother, known to me but not
                                                  to the submitter. The entire family group was on PRF except my
                                                  grandmother. I did not have her parent's names. I searched the notes
                                                  for her surname in my province. Always on the lookout for her surname
                                                  in that general area, I spotted a few. This is the family group that
                                                  I spoke about. In the notes for one of the sons was mention that he
                                                  lived on his father's original homestead in Ohio, now named Simpson's
                                                  Corner after his father, John Simpson. I did not know the place name
                                                  had changed after the record I consulted.

                                                  I used this personal example during a sacrament talk. When finished,
                                                  an elderly gentleman who I knew quite well stopped me and said "Will
                                                  Simpson? Of Simpson's Corner??" I said yes, and waited. He had an
                                                  awestruck look on his face. "I knew him. I met him when I was a
                                                  little boy about 5 years old. He was very old, and seemed a nice man.
                                                  I didn't know he had a sister. I only met him once, he shook my
                                                  hand." You could have knocked me over with a feather. Suddenly facts
                                                  and figures fell away and an indescribable feeling overtook me.

                                                  It never occurred to me before to ask him about a surname that was not
                                                  related to him, even though my friend had grown up close by. I was so
                                                  used to looking for the deceased that I never thought about the living
                                                  memory. Armed with more clues, I was able to successfully continue
                                                  my research. Only by finding her brother's note did this happen.
                                                  Value in the notes? It was to me.

                                                  Re: Will there be more PRF's?

                                                  Yes. See above.

                                                  Re: "...I do not know if it is related or not, but currently I have
                                                  not been able to download a gedcom from the PRF files on the internet,
                                                  as the choice has been removed. I would love to hear if others are
                                                  having the same experience or if there is a work around...."

                                                  Pedigree Resoure File can create GEDCOM files of an entire submission,
                                                  or ancestors or descendants of the subject. Notes and sources are
                                                  included.

                                                  Re Refund available?

                                                  Contact the distribution center and ask them what the policy is. See
                                                  Gary Templeman's reply.

                                                  I hope this is helpful to you.

                                                  Sincerely,

                                                  Peggy LeBlanc
                                                  Product Specialist
                                                  Progeny Software Inc.
                                                • T. Mason
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 10 8:53 PM
                                                    When the internal format of familysearch.com recently changed,
                                                    earlier versions of PRFmagnet stopped picking up the gender. This
                                                    was fixed in the new version 1.1.27. This would specifically mean
                                                    that if you used a gedcom created by an older version of PRFmagnet
                                                    with genders not being brought in, and imported that into PAF, PAF
                                                    would find no gender and would then complain about wrong genders on
                                                    the marriages.

                                                    You can not download a gedcom file from PRF on FamilySearch. Data in
                                                    FamilySearch can only be made into a gedcom using PRFmagnet. You can
                                                    access PRF and download gedcom files within the PRF program if you
                                                    buy the disks.

                                                    There are several downsides to submitting to PRF. (1) Cost. (2) Data
                                                    can not be updated - only a new submission can be made. (3) Address
                                                    and URLs of submitters as shown in FamilySearch can not be changed.
                                                    Only by new submissions can new addresses and URLs be modified.

                                                    An alternative would be to submit to WorldConnect.Rootsweb.com . It
                                                    is free and can be updated anytime.

                                                    Terry Mason
                                                    Clermont, FL

                                                    --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Garth Gooch <ggooch_00@...> wrote:

                                                    > I thought that I might warn you about the experience I have had
                                                    recently with the PRFmagnet program. The gedcom produced causes some
                                                    real problems with a PAF file. For some reason it produces a
                                                    marriage between an individual and himself in addition to his wife.
                                                    When you then open PAF insight to merge the individuals, it will
                                                    start changing the sex of individuals so that it can attempt to
                                                    repair the problems encountered. Each time you begin PAF insight
                                                    from then on it changes the sex of individuals trying to repair the
                                                    problem. It caused me a lot of problems. I have tried it repeatedly
                                                    and can reproduce the error, so I do not think that it is a problem
                                                    that only my file produces. I have tried it using various families