OT: PAF and Palm OS

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1 8:37 AM
      Seems to me it was on this group that people were talking
      about how great the Palm OS handheld was for toting around a
      copy of your PAF file.

      OK, you sold me. (g) I got one with the expansion card.
      But I can't seem to get the PAF/Palm to work off the
      expansion card, which means the entire database is on-board
      at all times.

      Any of you been successful in putting the PAF program and
      the database on the expansion card? May I beg for
      step-by-step instructions on how you did that?

      There should be no attachments on this message, unless I
      specifically mentioned them above.
    • Russell Hltn
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1 3:40 PM
        I personally haven't done it (I'm still running an ancient IIIxe), but
        if you post to the [lds-palm] group (also a yahoo group) I'm sure
        you'll get an answer.

        On 11/1/06, singhals <singhals@...> wrote:
        > Seems to me it was on this group that people were talking
        > about how great the Palm OS handheld was for toting around a
        > copy of your PAF file.
        >
        > OK, you sold me. (g) I got one with the expansion card.
        > But I can't seem to get the PAF/Palm to work off the
        > expansion card, which means the entire database is on-board
        > at all times.
        >
        > Any of you been successful in putting the PAF program and
        > the database on the expansion card? May I beg for
        > step-by-step instructions on how you did that?
        >
        > Cheryl

      • Gary Templeman
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1 9:57 PM
          >I personally haven't done it (I'm still running an ancient IIIxe), but
          > if you post to the [lds-palm] group (also a yahoo group) I'm sure
          > you'll get an answer.

          I didn't know there were many IIIxe's out there beyond mine. I quess we are
          both officially dinosaurs ;-)

          Gary
        • DonaldKay
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2 4:31 AM
            You undoubtedly need a 'prc' program for your Palm to enable you to
            display your Gedcom file. I've been using GedStar for a number of years
            now that does a wonderful job. As I recall, the program was less than
            $30 and can be downloaded from the Net.

            DKA

            singhals wrote:
            > Seems to me it was on this group that people were talking
            > about how great the Palm OS handheld was for toting around a
            > copy of your PAF file.
            >
            > OK, you sold me. (g) I got one with the expansion card.
            > But I can't seem to get the PAF/Palm to work off the
            > expansion card, which means the entire database is on-board
            > at all times.
            >
            > Any of you been successful in putting the PAF program and
            > the database on the expansion card? May I beg for
            > step-by-step instructions on how you did that?
            >
            > Cheryl

          • Abraham Menes Sagrero
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2 6:27 AM
              I still have a Palm IIIxe, I already bought a Fancy Zire 71, with a slot for memory card and a Camara to take pictures, but I refuse to abandon my IIIxe. I have the scriptures in spanish in a program Isilo, that does not work in the Zire 71, that is the main reason I keep my IIIxe. I also have my PAF. If you have some programs that could share with me I will appreciate. I also have and old version of the reader for palm, that the church used to share, it is still in the web page, but hidden. I may look at the group you mentioned.
              Regards
              Abraham Menes in Utah

              .

            • Gary Templeman
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2 7:11 AM
                Donald, there is a "prc" program, that is what she installed. It is
                available for download at the Church site. It is actually an earlier version
                of GedStar (when it was called GedPalm). The problem is it is an older
                program, designed before there were memory expansion cards. The indications
                are that it does not know how to access data on those cards, only the
                built-in memory. It may be necessary for Cheryl to use a newer (and probably
                non-free) program to work with her PDA.

                Gary Templeman

                > You undoubtedly need a 'prc' program for your Palm to enable you to
                > display your Gedcom file. I've been using GedStar for a number of years
                > now that does a wonderful job. As I recall, the program was less than
                > $30 and can be downloaded from the Net.
                >
                > DKA
                >
                > singhals wrote:
                >> Seems to me it was on this group that people were talking
                >> about how great the Palm OS handheld was for toting around a
                >> copy of your PAF file.
                >>
                >> OK, you sold me. (g) I got one with the expansion card.
                >> But I can't seem to get the PAF/Palm to work off the
                >> expansion card, which means the entire database is on-board
                >> at all times.
                >>
                >> Any of you been successful in putting the PAF program and
                >> the database on the expansion card? May I beg for
                >> step-by-step instructions on how you did that?
                >>
                >> Cheryl

                > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • RussellHltn
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2 10:19 AM
                  It lives in my back pocket. It just won't die.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2 11:50 AM
                    Well, flip, Gary! If I'd known that, I'd've gotten the
                    cheaper PDA! (g)

                    Cheryl

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2 7:01 PM
                      I know you used to frequent soc.genealogy.computing. Have you asked there
                      for any workarounds or suggestions for a different piece of software?

                    • DonaldKay
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3 4:54 AM
                        I upgraded over a year ago to a Garmin GPS with a 512mb expansion card
                        and operating on a Palm Operating System. The existing GedStar Program
                        that I had _purchased_ a number of years ago loaded and has operated
                        just fine.

                        DKA