Re: improving FS

  • Stockton FHC
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
      How interesting, to find out that familysearch.org is now duplicated
      on familysearch.com. I'd like to have short URLs like www.fhcl.org,
      www.af.org and www.fs.org redirect me to the correct page.
      I never used the opening page at www.familysearch.org that much anyway.
      If all those links were to be underlined, then the page would have a
      cluttered look. I don't think it takes very long to learn that as you
      move the mouse, links are highlighted. It's not very good that there
      are so many of them.
      If you inadvertantly click on the page, then you're going to be
      moved to a page you didn't expect.

      I always put the following on my favorites/bookmarks: Then I don't
      have to deal with the opening page.

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp for
      searching.
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp for
      FHLC.
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=af/search_AF.asp&clear_form=true
      for Ancestral File Numbers search.

      Vern Taylor
      Stockton CA

      > Take a minute and follow this link to http://www.familysearch.com and
      > look at the page without moving the mouse. How many hyperlinks are
      > there? 5? 15? 25? 35? 45? The loss of distinctive formatting forces
      > you to search the entire page to identify them. Try to imagine this
      > procedure coming onto FamilySearch.com from the perspective of a new
      > user. They must learn to search the page for links formatted as white
      > text, blue text, yellow text, underlined text and images.

      =====
      Stockton Family History Center
      800 W. Brookside Road
      Stockton, CA 95207
      209-951-7060
      I only work on Genealogy on days that end in "Y".
      One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness, it is usually returned!

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Jim Guest
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
          I'd "assume" both have the same IP address....:-)

          --
          Regards, Fred V Provoncha,Lynbrook FHC
          http://home.att.net/~unclefred

        • Dan & Barb Cerveny
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
            I feel having it as .com and .org, helps people find us no matter what. And if they finds us, that benefits all.

            Barb Cerveny (mom of 12 in MS)
            MSGENWeb CC Coahoma, Panola,
            Pontotoc, & Quitman Co. MS
            Oxford Ward FHC Director
            www.geocities.com/~cerveny

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
              At 06:54 PM 01/02/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >I'd "assume" both have the same IP address....:-)

              Lesee -- .org was the URL we were using to test it pre-public release. Many
              of us were under the impression that .com was to be the released URL.
              However, s'far's I know, they're mirrors and not the same IP, because at
              one time early on, .org was swamped and returning "Server Busy" signals,
              but .com let me on and served up the pages fairly fast.

              Cheryl
              *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
              Cheryl Singhal (Singhals@...)

              http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cpafug/
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvhampsh/
              http://www.capaccess.org/com/troop763/
              http://www.fortunecity.com/millennium/blyton/772/ (Bottony Cross DAR)
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~cresap/
              http://members.fortunecity.com/csinghal1/ (Joanna Waddill UDC)
            • Gary Templeman
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                Plus it makes sense for the Church to own both URL's just to keep others
                from appropriating one of them. You DON'T for example want to
                accidentally go to www.whitehouse.com (a porn site). Once the church
                has both addresses registered it makes since to use them so that people
                can access the site more easily.

                Gary Templeman

                *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
                *

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                > Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
                > Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
                > Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/FvNolB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • slcvisor
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Everyone:

                  The URL's www.familysearch.org, www.familysearch.com and
                  www.familysearch.net are all hosted at the same IP address
                  (32.96.111.5), and are therefore the same website.

                  The .org suffix is probably the preferred URL, and the others are
                  simply "covering the bases" for people who may not think of the site
                  as a *free* site.

                  Andy

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
                    OK, thanks, Andy.

                    Cheryl

                    At 03:08 AM 01/03/2002 -0000, you wrote:
                    >Everyone:
                    >
                    >The URL's www.familysearch.org, www.familysearch.com and
                    >www.familysearch.net are all hosted at the same IP address
                    >(32.96.111.5), and are therefore the same website.
                    >
                    >The .org suffix is probably the preferred URL, and the others are
                    >simply "covering the bases" for people who may not think of the site
                    >as a *free* site.
                    >
                    >Andy
                    >

                    >> >I'd "assume" both have the same IP address....:-)
                    >>
                    >> Lesee -- .org was the URL we were using to test it pre-public
                    >> release. Many of us were under the impression that .com was to be
                    >> the released URL. However, s'far's I know, they're mirrors and not
                    >> the same IP, because at one time early on, .org was swamped and
                    >> returning "Server Busy" signals, but .com let me on and served up
                    >> the pages fairly fast.
                    >>
                    >> Cheryl

                    > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • Beth Zondler
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15 3:28 PM
                      Does anyone know what is up with FamilySearch? Sometimes it is working the last couple of days and sometimes it isn't. Not just my home computer, but all the computers at the FHC too. Right now I keep getting

                      400 Bad request

                      Your browser sent an invalid request.
                    • E Marleena Alkire
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 15 3:43 PM

                        Maybe they're working on the site? Did you check with Support? They would have more information.

                        Marleena

                        Does anyone know what is up with FamilySearch? Sometimes it is working the last couple of days and sometimes it isn't. Not just my home computer, but all the computers at the FHC too. Right now I keep getting

                        400 Bad request

                        Your browser sent an invalid request.

                      • Deanne Moore
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 15 5:36 PM
                          Beth, delete the temporary files/cache and cookies on the browsers you are using and then reboot the computer. This usually solves the problem...if not, call FamilySearch for more assistance. Ask for Family History Center support for help with the computers in the center, but it should be the same solution for all of them.

                          On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Beth Zondler <jbzaakk@...> wrote:

                          Does anyone know what is up with FamilySearch? Sometimes it is working the last couple of days and sometimes it isn't. Not just my home computer, but all the computers at the FHC too. Right now I keep getting

                          400 Bad request

                          Your browser sent an invalid request.

                        • Lise Embley

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 15 8:23 PM
                              Thanks for the responses, it worked on my home computer. I will try it
                              on the FHC computers tomorrow.