Re: [FHCNET] Re:- FHC & Missionary work

  • HLewellyn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 2 4:39 PM
      Afew years ago someone decided in our stake to make all member volunteers
      stake missionaries and to start proselyting in the FHC. In a very short time we
      had about three member volunteers left.

    • Margaret Montgomery
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 3 5:34 AM
        Many thanks to those who have replied to my email.

        All comments are reinforcing my understanding of the use of FHCs. When
        I was microfilming for the GSU if I remember that to do blatant
        missionary work could jeopardise the free access to archival materials
        film contract position - but I could be wrong.

        I have spoken with FHC Support here in UK and they are sending me
        relevant op. manual references (in my capacity of Stake FHC although I
        also work in the FHC). They agree that the centres are not to be used
        for 'patron name gathering', but they have said that for new patrons we
        can take them into another room and give them an orientation.

        I still feel that having a "please help your self" table with Books of
        Mormon, Why we do FH, and other Church leaflets at the entrance with
        cards to fill in if they would like to know more. Leaves the onus with
        the patron.

        The mini open evenings for members of the public (and also Church
        members) suggestion I will pass on to the director and the Stake. The
        idea of having periodic "Open days/evenings" for new people to be
        introduced to the FHC is especially apt as we have recently a series of
        TV programs on the BBC called "Who do you think you are?"

        This program has celebrities seeking their family history (usually done
        by a professional) and given an opportunity to go to the areas that
        their families came from. This has caused great interest in the public
        - so much so that the GRO has a 10 day delay in sending out
        certificates from Southport - and maybe we (as a FHC) need to show more
        of a presence that we are here.

        I also sent the Stake Presidency (member over FH) information about the
        picture in Salt Lake Library by Judith Mehr "The Eternal Family Through
        Christ" which could be placed outside the FHC door as people come out.
        He was slightly hesitant as it wasn't on the Library Catalogue. I
        don't know if the pictures that most FHCs could order in the US before
        Christmas were offered here in Britain - I will check it out.

        The more that non-members are willing to share family information the
        more that members may find connections and thereby be able to do the
        Temple work for their families.

        Many thanks again for all your help.

        Margaret
        Watford, UK
      • happyfmly3
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 3 7:09 AM
          Margaret,

          It is good that the handbooks clearly instruct us not to proselyte in the fhc's. One of my pet peeves in the church is a leader who wants to sneak in through the back doors in deceptive methods to preach the gospel.

          I always believed that missionary work should be bold and brought forth with 2 going forward to share this great message,

          I like the other handbooks that teach us how to proselyte they have great names like the New Testament and Doctrine and Covenants. (.. apostles have written, and that which is taught them by the Comforter through the prayer of faith. DC 52:10 1FE8 10 Let them go two by two, and thus let them preach by the way in every congregation, baptizing by water, and the laying on of the hands by the water's side. DC 52:11)

          I never believed the philosophy that failure in missionary work is the member’s fault. One bishop recently instructed a ward mission leader who after a year and one half of service were provided about 3 baptisms. He felt that he had not done the best he could. The Bishop in consoling him said not to worry it was not his fault the members did not want it bad enough.

          I discussed this comment with our stake president one day and expressed my opinion that meant the Bishop was to be blamed, the High counselors and stake pres. members in that ward were to blame etc. etc.

          Yes every member is a missionary, however that is no excuse not to baptize, and to lay the blame of missionary work solely on the member’s shoulders (which this Bishop did) is something I find hard to swallow. I see nowhere in the scriptures where the teaching is taught clearly that only the general membership of the church is responsible for baptizing.

          To make a long story short. One day I was called as the ward mission leader. The missionaries would ask me how do we get members to do missionary work? I would explain to them “Elder the Lord did not call you to be a cheerleader to the members to do missionary work. The Lord called you to baptize and me to oversee the work in this ward so that we do just what we are called to do baptize.”

          I explained to the Elders that there would be no excuses. If we failed then we failed however we would not blame our successes or failures on any one but ourselves. We would pray to be blessed of the Lord. We would adopt the teachings of Wilford Woodruff and we would teach the gospel to the people like Wilford did and the saints of old 2 by 2 with the spirit.

          By the end of that year the Lord blessed us to participate in baptizing 28 souls. A number that I would have enjoyed the chance to work with the Lord to improve upon, however when you are released it is time to go. To this date the wards are back to baptizing a few new members per year and blaming the members for the low numbers.

          I do not understand the blame philosophy. I do miss the ability to work with the missionaries, seldom in my life was I enveloped as deeply in the spirit as I was in that calling. If there were any calling I would covet, it would be to work with the missionaries being called to lead, and baptize with them and the Lord again.

          So when I hear of those who want to force the missionaries into the homes of those souls who are currently enjoying the spirit of Elijah but not ready yet for more. I am perplexed.

          I hope all works out well for you and there is no force or compulsion to hear the gospel placed upon the patrons in your FHC.

          Mike
          Sycamore/DeKalb, IL

          Paul Marshall <mwebmar@...> wrote:
          I think that your leaders should go back to the Handbook of Instructions
          and read what it says. All instructions from the Church say that the FHC
          is not to be used as your leaders say. We should welcome any person who
          wants to visit the FHC, and NOT force them in any way to have the
          missionaries call on them. This attitude drives people away. They feel
          that we are putting strings on them using the facilities. If they ask
          gospel questions, then you can ask them if they would like to have the
          missionaries come by their home and give them the answers. If they say yes,
          you can then get their address and give it to the missionaries. The
          missionaries can take it from there. If I am not mistaken, to make them
          sign a referal form (that is what you are being told to use) is completely
          against Church policy.
          Paul Marshall
          Family History Consultant

          Lds genealogy Staff training Genealogy Family history center Family home Familysearch

          ---------------------------------

        • Regine Brindle
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 3 8:57 AM
            Sounds right...
            Nothing like scaring away the backbone (non-members) of so many of our FHCs!
            Forgive me but.. This is in the manual... we didn't make it up...
            So, the question is: "How do we get these leaders to actually READ the manuals and get familiar with how things are supposed to work?"

            A few years ago I got into trouble because the full time missionaries were helping at the FHC, WITH PERMISSION from their Mission President, mind you.
            They weren't teaching the gospel in the FHC.
            They were helping according to what the manual allows.
            Things were straightened out once our then HPGL was shown the text right in the manual.

            Still this sort of thing could be avoided if 'every man (or woman) learn(ed) their duty' and the bext way t do this is by opening these manuals...

            In the meantime there is a wall of misunderstanding thickening between 'us' and 'them', which should never be there in the first place!
            Is there any plan that anyone know of to instruct leadership about what they're supposed to do or not to do with FHCs?
            It would make things easier on FHC directors, I'm sure!

            Regine Brindle

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 3 10:29 AM
              Yes, the CHI Book 2 Section 9 indicates things about
              FHCs and missionary activity.

              I once ran an online FAQ that indicated that on
              occasion someone might see a magazine or a Book of
              Mormon, but my intent was to reassure the reader that
              if they saw those items, that it was just because
              someone had them there, and not for proselyting
              purposes.

              Also, Presch My Gospel says nothing about finding
              people to teach at the FHC, but rather using family
              history as a tracting topic. They mentioned the as
              yet to be released pass-along card, I still have not
              seen those show up yet, and assume that now that the
              Gift of Family History beta testing is done (see the
              website mentioned earlier today or last night) it will
              come out once FamilySearch Family Tree is officially
              open to the whole world, and out of beta.

              Missionaries will work with ward consultants, and may
              themselves only be there from time to time to
              familiarize themselves with what an FHC is. See
              Preach my Gospel for more there also.

              So it looks like this year is going to be the year for
              all the big positive changes in family history to by
              and large hit the fan. Fortunately we are at least
              partially ready, and they will give us the rest when
              everything is announced.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • RussellHltn
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 3 10:31 AM
                >>> One of our pst bishops once said he was very uncomfortable with
                setting goals about how many baptisms our wad should plan for in a year's
                time.
                He always felt this is out of our control.
                However he wisely pointd out that we can control how often we have cottage
                meetings, which provide opportunities for members to bring their friends to
                church. <<<

                I like your old bishop already. I have always been uncomfortable with the
                way goals are practiced in the church. It encourages people to do unwise
                things to try and meet those arbitrary numbers. God has always provided
                aims and directions, but that's not the same thing as shooting for a number.
                </soapbox>
              • novaan
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 3 7:41 PM
                  If we put restrictions on non members using our center we would not
                  have any patrons at all!!

                  Nova,
                  Shelton WA

                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Montgomery
                  <Margaret.Montgomery@...> wrote:

                  > Just wanted to find out what other FHCs do about missionary work.
                  >
                  > The Stake Presidency are wanting non-member patrons to fill in a
                  form
                  > before they use the centre for the first time so that missionaries
                  can
                  > contact them.
                  >
                  > It was in the past, not encouraged to blatantly do missionary work
                  at
                  > the FHC, but to answer any questions a patron may have and direct
                  them
                  > to the Church website.
                  >
                  > We have by the front entrance a table with various Church
                  literature
                  > (both FH and other Church leaflets) and Books of Mormon with
                  a 'please
                  > take one' sign.
                  >
                  > The High Council representative has the attitude if patrons don't
                  want
                  > to fill the form then they don't need to use the FHC.
                  >
                  > What do other FHCs do?
                  >

                  > Margaret
                  > Watford, UK

                • Regine Brindle
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 3 8:27 PM
                    I'd love to have him back!!!

                    RussellHltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:
                    >>> One of our pst bishops once said he was very uncomfortable with
                    setting goals about how many baptisms our wad should plan for in a year's
                    time.
                    He always felt this is out of our control.
                    However he wisely pointd out that we can control how often we have cottage
                    meetings, which provide opportunities for members to bring their friends to
                    church. <<<

                    I like your old bishop already. I have always been uncomfortable with the
                    way goals are practiced in the church. It encourages people to do unwise
                    things to try and meet those arbitrary numbers. God has always provided
                    aims and directions, but that's not the same thing as shooting for a number.

                    or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Winter Owl
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 3 10:03 PM
                      Is this because so many Mission Presidents were businessmen involved in sales of goods and services, that were trained in goal-setting, quotas, centralized planning, etc?

                      I heard Elder Eyring at a Stake conference tell the missionaries that the canned stuff was going out the window, and the Missionaries were to teach by the spirit, not a flip chart.

                      But too many rely on what they were trained to do in civilian life, maybe?

                      Robert

                      RussellHltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote: >>> One of our pst bishops once said he was very uncomfortable with
                      setting goals about how many baptisms our wad should plan for in a year's
                      time.
                      He always felt this is out of our control.
                      However he wisely pointd out that we can control how often we have cottage
                      meetings, which provide opportunities for members to bring their friends to
                      church. <<<

                      I like your old bishop already. I have always been uncomfortable with the
                      way goals are practiced in the church. It encourages people to do unwise
                      things to try and meet those arbitrary numbers. God has always provided
                      aims and directions, but that's not the same thing as shooting for a number.
                      </soapbox>

                      or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      ---------------------------------

                    • aliis.geo
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 4 5:09 AM
                        I'll second that :-)

                        Alison
                        Glasgow Scotland FHC

                        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "novaan" <Novaan@...> wrote:

                        > If we put restrictions on non members using our center we would not
                        > have any patrons at all!!
                        >
                        > Nova,
                        > Shelton WA
                      • Regine Brindle
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 4 6:56 AM
                          I think it stemmed not from the Mission Home but from the Stake, trying to help wards set goals in the 3 fold-mission of the church.
                          Since the results of Preaching the Gospel should be baptisms, it makes sense that they would try and set goals like to make the wards accountable, and be made to report on what they're doing to reach these goals.
                          I don't think our local church leaders expect a certain number of converts per year, as much as they would like to ensure there is movement in that direction.
                          Which is why I always thought what he said made sense:
                          "We can't control how many people decide to be baptized, but we can control the number of opportunities we offer the members to expose their friends to the good influence of the church and its teachings" (not a litteral quote)
                          So he was a proponent of cottage meetings, which were porrly attended also but at least there was movement.
                          I am a convert and my mother always thought the missionaries were too mechanical when they taught the discussions. Let's face it only the Spirit can convert.
                          I truly believe that if we let the Lord write His Law in our Hearts, not just our minds, we live that law and the rest will flow automatically.

                          Regine

                          Winter Owl <rhvann@...> wrote:
[...]

                        • Venita Roylance
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 4 9:39 AM
                            In my opinion, when a Stake President or Bishop tells their stake/ward
                            members to "take one name to the temple by the end of the
                            month/year/before the next conference, etc." they are frequently
                            unwittingly encouraging duplication of temple work and/or totally
                            useless temple work done for non-existing people. (ie Fnu LNU = First
                            name unknown Last name unknown. Look it up in the IGI. Who on the other
                            side would claim that work?)

                            It isn't always that easy, as you know, to find a name in your database
                            that qualifies, and many members take 'any-old-name' to the temple just
                            to fill in that checkbox and be obedient. Priesthood leaders should be
                            cautioned and taught to understand more completely what taking a new
                            name to the temple may involve. What might they say instead that would
                            encourage good, accurate, documented family history research that would
                            eventually culminate in clearing names for temple work?

                            If someone should make a list of all the ways Satan is interferring
                            with this great work, duplication of ordinances would be high on the
                            list along with 'useless ordinances.' But they would not be the only
                            entries. Maybe that would be a good challenge question for us - how
                            does Satan interfere, and what can we do to counter that interferance?

                            Yours,

                            Venita Parry
                            Missionary
                            Family History Training Center
                            Provo, Utah

                            Utah South Area Family History Training Center
                            http://www.familyhistorytraining.org/

                            Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
                            http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

                          • RussellHltn
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 4 10:20 AM
                              >>> Is this because so many Mission Presidents were businessmen involved in
                              sales of goods and services, that were trained in goal-setting, quotas,
                              centralized planning, etc? <<<

                              I was trying to keep from going on a full-blown rant, but yes, I believe it
                              comes from the pervasive but faulty (IMHO) business practice of "management
                              by numbers". Numbers have their place. But to make the numbers the goal is
                              a bad idea.

                              One of the leaders in one of our wards has a good idea. He says we should
                              be working on our missionary work the same way Korean archers train. In
                              their practice sessions they will focus on one little thing like their
                              stance, or how they hold the bow. They won't even pick up an arrow much
                              less hit the target. But they work on all the elements that are needed for
                              accuracy. Likewise we should be practicing how to hand out a pass a long
                              card, or invite someone to a church activity - the small steps that leads to
                              baptism.

                              Likewise in FH, we wouldn't set a goal to see how many names we can get or
                              generations we can piece together. Instead we teach little things like how
                              to use the Censes, or where to find birth records.
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 4 5:39 PM
                                Yes, there are no flipcharts or any 'canned'
                                presentations any more.

                                They lay out four lessons, plus a fifth one taught
                                after baptism. But they don't even have to teach them
                                in that order, and all that is in the lesson is the
                                doctrine, you have to put it in your own words. They
                                provide sample lesson plans but even that is
                                ultimately left up to the missionary. Missionaries
                                keep track of concepts taught, not necessarily full
                                discussions given.

                                For family history, they recommend missionaries visit
                                on their own a family history center in their assigned
                                proselyting area. They are now encouraged to have a
                                4-generation pedigree to take and use in their
                                tracting when they choose to use family history as an
                                approach. They may also hear about things during the
                                occasional PEC or Ward Council they attend as well
                                since family history does get discussed at those
                                ward-level leadership meetings.

                                The pass-along card for family history mentioned in
                                Preach My Gospel is not even out yet. They used a
                                test card in Sacramento, but even that might not be
                                the final one.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Lori
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 5 5:09 AM
                                  Good morning, all.
                                  The discussion on FHC goals and counting names is interesting. In my
                                  career (school administration) we do work a lot with strategic plans, which
                                  includes goal setting.
                                  Goals in themselves are a good thing. But it is critical to identify
                                  what the goal is, what strategies will help us attain that goal, and what
                                  the assessment or evaluation is.

                                  Consider this:

                                  1.) The overarching "goal" for our FHC is something like this - to fully use
                                  the FHC in the preparation of temple work for our deceased ancestors.
                                  (Check Church materials for their stated FHC goal.)

                                  2.) To achieve that overarching goal, we can have smaller goals or
                                  strategies for our FHC.
                                  a. Increase the number of deceased ancestors who have an opportunity
                                  to accept the Gospel.
                                  b. Increase the number of hours the ward members spend in the FHC
                                  each month as compared to the same month last year.
                                  c. Increase the number of hours the FHC is open.
                                  d. Increase the ward members' capacity for family history
                                  researching.
                                  e, Increase the FHC staff members' attendance at staff training.
                                  Etc.

                                  3.) The assessment(or evaluation)of each goal and strategy is where we will
                                  measure each goal and strategy. Decide how each item can be measured and how
                                  much improvement it takes to be successful at each certain point.

                                  Example:
                                  1a.) Short term Goal/ Strategy- "During the coming year, we will increase
                                  the FHC staff members' attendance at staff training."
                                  1a.) Evaluation- We might decide that a 10% increase as compared to each
                                  same month last year is an attainable goal. (We might have had 10 FHC staff
                                  members at training Feb 2005 so we would work towards 11 for Feb 2006.)

                                  This list is great. Keep up the good work!

                                  Lori Lewis (director)
                                  Perry, Georgia FHC
                                • Winter Owl
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 5 7:42 AM
                                    With tongue firmly in cheek, I've got several stubborn old coots that refuse to listen. Maybe a murder or two would increase my deceased ancestors and make them ready?

                                    ;-)

                                    Robert

                                    2.) To achieve that overarching goal, we can have smaller goals or
                                    strategies for our FHC.
                                    a. Increase the number of deceased ancestors who have an opportunity
                                    to accept the Gospel.

                                  • Cedar City Utah FHC
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 6 9:52 AM
                                      From: "Margaret Montgomery" <Margaret.Montgomery@...>
                                      Margaret wrote:
                                      Just wanted to find out what other FHCs do about missionary work.
                                      The Stake Presidency are wanting non-member patrons to fill in a form
                                      before they use the centre for the first time so that missionaries can
                                      contact them.

                                      Margaret,
                                      We welcome non LDS patrons with open arms and treat them as one of the family.
                                      We do not ask any questions or fill out any forms. We do not have that right! We do ask them however to fill out the attendance roll and mark it as non-LDS.
                                      This is for statistical purposes only.
                                      The center is here for the community and we want everybody to feel
                                      welcome and to not feel "threatened" by opening themselves up to
                                      visits by the missionaries when they are not ready to deal with that.
                                      When they come to the point that they would like more information,
                                      we will know (That is where the Spirit comes in). In the mean time, we love them as we love ALL our patrons!
                                      One of our patrons has worked on her FH for 40 years, has not been converted, but one of our sisters is working with her to get her records donated and submitted.
                                      We also have a some non-LDS patrons volunteering their time and know-how to work behind the screens in administrative and library functions. (love returned!)

                                      Maria Oostveen, Cedar City Multi.

                                      NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
                                      intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
                                      privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
                                      disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
                                      intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email

                                    • Cedar City Utah FHC