Re: RE: [FHCNET] (unknown)

  • Gary Templeman
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2006
      Robert,

      You will have the latest version. What changes is how the program operates
      depending on whether you inputed a FHC license or a personal license. The
      registration info is stored on the computer and controls how the program
      works. The personal version will remember your login info from session to
      session, and I *believe* you can automate the searches more so you can set
      it up and let it do it's thing while you do something else.

      The cycling of the login was not an Insight problem. Difficulty with the
      logins (even directly at the web site) has been a regular problem at
      FamilySearch.org for the last couple of weeks or so.

      Gary Templeman

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
        >>> I *believe* you can automate the searches more so you can set
        it up and let it do it's thing while you do something else. <<<

        I think the FHC license will only let you search one name at a time and the
        personal license allows you to queue up to 10 names for a search. I think
        that was part of the throttling that was done to limit the impact on the
        FamilySearch servers.
      • Winter Owl
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
          You are right in principal. But I don't remember if it is 5, 8, or 10.

          Robert

          RussellHltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote: >>> I *believe* you can automate the searches more so you can set
          it up and let it do it's thing while you do something else. <<<

          I think the FHC license will only let you search one name at a time and the
          personal license allows you to queue up to 10 names for a search. I think
          that was part of the throttling that was done to limit the impact on the
          FamilySearch servers.

          or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Lds genealogy Staff training Genealogy Family history center Family home Familysearch

          ---------------------------------

        • Sandra Jarvis
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
            Dear Wessel's,
            Check out the files for this group. They are great. Exa: The FHL Favorites from SLC are there. They can be put on your computers at your center. They offer a wealth of family history websites mostly organized by locality.
            Also take a look at the website for Familyhistoryliveonline.com. They offer live training for family history consultants over the internet. They also offer live classes and support for various family history topics.
            Sincerely Learning From the Past,
            Sandra Raymond Jarvis

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
              The FHL Favorites are available to all FHC computers that are running
              LANDesk. Just open the LANDesk software delivery portal. This will open a
              web page that lists all the software available for download. The FHL
              Favorites is one of those.

              Dana in Omaha

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 11, 2007
                Ours are separated like Terri's. Although, our extended ones are
                filed by country. That way if someone comes in looking for films on
                Norway for instance, they are all in one place.

                We also have a binder which we periodically reprint two lists of our
                films. One by film # and one by location. In between reprints, we
                put the "notification sheet" we use to e-mail customers each week as
                films come in. Of course, blacking out the patron's phone # and
                e-mail address.

                We used to have them by film #, but that required knowing the film #
                someone wanted and people got too frustrated. This has been working
                for us about 4 years now. Or, at least we have the least number of
                librarians complain about this filing method. Can't please everyone
                all the time.

                Patty
                Exeter, NH

                p.s. Our fiche are filed by fiche #, but we have a card index that
                used to be done manually that is sorted by country. (As a matter of
                fact, I'm not sure when the last time someone updated that
                is. Probably time to check into that. :-))

                At 09:44 AM 10/10/2007, you wrote:

                >Short term film gets filed by patron surname. Extended loan film/fiche gets
                >filed by film/fiche number.
                >
                >-Terri J.
                >Raleigh FHC
              • The Allens
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Patty,
                  We have do have an 'active' card catalog for both film and fiche. Our
                  patrons fill out a form printed on a 3X5 card to order a microform. That
                  card is filed in the "on order" drawer by location. When the film comes in
                  the card is stamped with the due date and filed in the 'films in the center'
                  drawers, also by location (or by Surname etc.). The cards are pulled when
                  the films are returned. I dreamed of getting IM up to date so that patrons
                  could search the center's 'card catalog' on the computer, but I guess that
                  will have to wait for the millennium ; )

                  Dean Allen
                  Annapolis MD

                • curbee@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                    lighten up suzanne.

                  • FamOlson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                      agreed!!

                      http://www.oil-testimonials.com/725885
                      Learn more about essential oils

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Well I have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps if I did not have a full time
                        job, Church and civic responsibilities and a family I would feel
                        differently. But I get well over 100 emails a day with limited time to
                        process them. Having to open every message only to find that a high
                        percentage do not add anything of value *to me* simply is a waste.

                        When someone goes above and beyond, or does something that benefits the
                        entire list (like when Ileen Johnson retired as list admin) then public
                        thanks are in order. The rest should typically be handled privately, just as
                        they are in all other social interactions. Why should a mailing list be
                        different? If your neighbor gives you cookies you tell *the neighbor* thank
                        you. You don't put a sign on your lawn announcing the thank you to the
                        neighborhood. If this was a snail mail list and not email, you wouldn't be
                        putting a stamp on hundreds of cards every time you wanted to tell *one*
                        person thank you. (If our society changes, I want stock in Hallmark)

                        BTW, in some countries Internet access is still paid by the minute, so the
                        more fluff they get the more it costs them. We definately should be thanking
                        people, but do it in a responsible way that takes other perple's
                        circumstances into account. The Internet has made it so easy to knock out
                        messages to large groups but we tend to forget that not everyone receiving
                        those messages has the time availability, the money or the desire to wade
                        through the avalanche.

                        Gary

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 10, 2010
                          My goodness, did I do something wrong? Again?

                          Brother Strange